This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 03 Jun 2005 07:11:22 pm    Post subject:

I need to know that if youu bought this would you be able to download files to your sd memory card using the usb port without using a cd to install it?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Jun 2005 07:30:42 pm    Post subject:

Most likely, yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-and-play
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 03 Jun 2005 11:36:00 pm    Post subject:

The anser to your question is that it depends on your OS.

YES with XP

I know a guy who has the exact memory card reader shown in the picture. It worked just fine on Windows XP without any external drivers.

Essentially, it shows up as 4 drive letters (1 for each card type)

Anyway, if you use Windows 98, the answer to your question is almost a definate NO it won't be recognized.

To Recap:

Win98: NO
2000/ME: Maybe
XP: YES

Last edited by Guest on 05 Jun 2005 03:46:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 03 Jun 2005 11:38:25 pm    Post subject:

One Last thing,

Don't buy that from Dell unless you want to waste money. There is no need to buy things like Printers, Memory Card readers, and Mice from Dell.

You can by a Lexar memory card reader for under $20 at most retail points of sale.

In general, nothing USB is going to void your warrantee because you don't open the case.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Jun 2005 03:37:56 am    Post subject:

30 bucks is indeed very expensive for something like that. I payed 15€ for mine. (about 20$). Also, you'll have to pay shipping costs too with dell.

Like Jbirk said, it will recognize if you have XP, but some memory card readers have little icons for the drives, and other extra's. You need to install the cd-rom for that. But that's only if you want those extra's.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 04 Jun 2005 08:09:26 pm    Post subject:

leofox wrote:
30 bucks is indeed very expensive for something like that. I payed 15€ for mine. (about 20$). Also, you'll have to pay shipping costs too with dell.

Like Jbirk said, it will recognize if you have XP, but some memory card readers have little icons for the drives, and other extra's. You need to install the cd-rom for that. But that's only if you want those extra's.
[post="51507"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That is not what I said.

I said that when plugged in, you will automatically be given some drive letters. They will look like standard Removable Storage Drives!

Essentially, most USB Memory Card readers have about 4 memory card types they read and they make about 4 drive letters (one for each type).
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Jun 2005 08:21:21 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I said that when plugged in, you will automatically be given some drive letters.  They will look like standard Removable Storage Drives!
Quote:
but some memory card readers have little icons for the drives, and other extra's. You need to install the cd-rom for that.

Cool
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement