This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Jun 2005 07:05:21 pm    Post subject:

I don't understand what the deal is. I have a cable modem and wireless router that used to work perfectly, and suddenly my connection is terrible. It's slow on both this desktop using an ethernet cable, and my laptop with a wireless usb adaptor. I've tried unplugging evertything and letting it reset, I've restarted the computer several times, and I've tried skipping the router and connecting my modem directly to this computer. Nothing seems the help in the slightest.

I can't load most pages, and those that I can take several minutes at least. Gmail gets stuck on the loading screen after username and password, and I haven't been able to download any files.

I'm running out of patience and would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks!

Spyderbyte
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jun 2005 07:12:16 pm    Post subject:

wireless isn't supposed to be consistently reliable, but...
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jun 2005 07:44:57 pm    Post subject:

I'd check for spyware, clean my host file, and check if there's any problems with my ISP.
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Jun 2005 07:54:31 pm    Post subject:

I would understand if just my wireless wasn't working too well, but my desktop uses a cable instead of wireless. I've also tried connecting it directly to my modem.

I've already checked for spyware, but neither computer can connect, so I'm assuming its a network problem. How would I go about cleaning my host file and checking my ISP? I'm a noob about this stuff if you couldn't already tell.

Thanks again!

Spyderbyte
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Jun 2005 08:56:40 pm    Post subject:

not sure about a host file, but your ISP is the company that provides you internet service. You should have a telephone number somewhere, call them up. :)

Did you say you have cable? I think cable's speed is affected by the number of users on the network, so maybe a large number of people are using a lot of bandwidth?

Last edited by Guest on 02 Jun 2005 08:58:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Jun 2005 04:22:37 am    Post subject:

What do you mean with neither computer can connect?

And heavy traffic on the network is just not going to happen from one day to the next, and never to the extend of making it work worse than a 56k modem.
Bledoux

Posted: 03 Jun 2005 05:40:24 am    Post subject:

Maybe try deleting things that you may have downoaded that you don't need anymore. You know, clear up some space.

Last edited by Guest on 03 Jun 2005 05:40:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Jun 2005 12:02:49 pm    Post subject:

I'd download Ad-aware.
It's free, awesome, but dumb. In order to delete the *ware you got running, you need to restart in safe mode. Faster that way, too.

Edit: The downloading thing, I agree...
Does anyone know why when I download big files, they just randomly stop downloading for a huge time and then say it times out? I'll try to get a screenshot and maybe Firefox.

Last edited by Guest on 03 Jun 2005 12:05:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Jun 2005 12:20:35 pm    Post subject:

Brazucs wrote:
I'd download Ad-aware.
It's free, awesome, but dumb. In order to delete the *ware you got running, you need to restart in safe mode. Faster that way, too.
NO.
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Jun 2005 04:41:21 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
What do you mean with neither computer can connect?

Both computers take forever to load sites if they will load at all, but otherwise run fine. Since this just happened suddenly and on both computers, I'm assuming it's something with the network.

I'll see if I can track down a number for my ISP, I've already run spyware scans.

Spyderbyte
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Jun 2005 08:07:38 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't complain..I have a 56K modem..rock on!
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 04 Jun 2005 12:09:34 am    Post subject:

Spyderbyte wrote:
I would understand if just my wireless wasn't working too well, but my desktop uses a cable instead of wireless.  I've also tried connecting it directly to my modem.

I've already checked for spyware, but neither computer can connect, so I'm assuming its a network problem.  How would I go about cleaning my host file and checking my ISP? I'm a noob about this stuff if you couldn't already tell.

Thanks again!

Spyderbyte
[post="51395"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Okay, if things used to be fast and now they are slow, this has nothing to do with you being wireless or wired. Even slow 802.11b is 11 mbps, which is a lot faster than your cable modem.

Here is what I would do:

Restart your cable modem, then restart your router. Now check each computer individually and see if they are both slow.

If they are slow but work, you should probably contact your ISP.

If your entire computer is slow, it may be spyware, but I doubt both of your computers would both be slow in this situation.

As for cleaning your host file, there is no reason to do this because it won't make your computer any faster. A host file is simply a collection of IP addresses and fully qualified domain names.

The only entry required in a Host file is 127.0.0.1 localhost

The file is found at %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers\Etc

the file is usually called HOSTS without an extention, I belive.

You can open it with notepad...

This really isn't going to help you though.

If something is wrong with your host file, it is usually incorrect entries added.

For example:

127.0.0.1 symantec.com
127.0.0.1 liveupdate.symantec.com

Entries like the above should be deleted. They would prevent you from going to those websites because the domain would resolve to 127.0.0.1
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 04 Jun 2005 12:12:10 am    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
Brazucs wrote:
I'd download Ad-aware.
NO.
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download3155.html
[post="51445"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Both of those are excellent tools. I would like to add Adaware to the Mix.

As for HiJackThis, it is a very powerful tool that specializes in cleaning up startup areas and Internet Explorer. I would recomend you stay away from it unless you know what you are doing though.

However, There really is no tool better than HijackThis!
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Jun 2005 02:05:49 pm    Post subject:

OK, I'm tried letting everything reset, and that didn't seem to help either. Could someone be kind enough to look up the road runner customer support information? It should be at http://www.rr.com but I can't get the site to load.

Thanks!

Spyderbyte
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Jun 2005 02:59:19 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
How to get Help for Current Road Runner Customers
If you are already a Road Runner customer and you need help with Road Runner, you can find self help tools such as FAQs and How-To Tutorials, and assisted Technical Support such as Chat, Email, and Telephone on the Road Runner Help & Member Services site (www.help.rr.com).

Sales Number
Road Runner High Speed Online is primarily offered through Time Warner Cable systems, although selected Bright House and Insight networks as well as independent cable operators also provide the service. While the company headquarters is in Herndon, VA, to sign up for Road Runner you must contact your local cable provider. Below is a phone number that will put you in touch with cable providers offering Road Runner.

1-866-520-5983

Business Information
If you are interested in partnering with or having a business relationship with Road Runner, please contact BusinessInformation@rr.com

Advertising
advertising@va.rr.com

If you are interested in linking your company's website or including your content on our website, please contact ContentPartner@va.rr.com

Business Solutions
If you are national company with multiple locations and interesting in receiving information on our Business Class products, please contact NationalBusinessCustomer@rr.com

If you are a local or home-based business interested in our Business Class products, please contact your local cable provider and speak to the Business Class/Commercial Services contact or click here for availability in your area.

Customer Care
Current Customer Email: http://www.help.rr.com/asp/rrmail.asp

Not a customer yet and have a question? Email: customercare@va.rr.com and include your full home address including zip code.

Operations
abuse@security.rr.com

Road Runner Headquarters
13241 Woodland Park Rd.
Herndon, VA 20171
(703) 345-2400
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 05 Jun 2005 03:24:32 pm    Post subject:

Cool, thanks! I'll see what I can do.

EDIT: Very weird. After more than half an hour and three people on tech support, they finally decided to send someone out. Once I hung up I decided to reset everything one more time, and disconnected absolutely everything. After letting it everything sit for a few minutes, I reconnected it all and turned on my computer.

I don't want to speak too soon, I also had a moment of triumph before my hard drive permanantly died, but everything seems to be working again!

Thanks to everyone for the help!

EDIT 2: Bah, I knew I was speaking too soon. It couldn't have been more than ten minutes after posting this when the loading bar for a different site pretty much stopped halfway through. Yep, everything was slow again. Restarting didn't help, only turning my computer off and unplugging the power cables for the modem and router. After being disconnected for a while, they seem to be working again.

Chances are good it'll stop working again, so now I'm very confused. Why would it work well for a while and then quit, only to repeat later?

Thanks again!

Spyderbyte

Last edited by Guest on 05 Jun 2005 07:06:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Jun 2005 08:00:54 am    Post subject:

I've been having some internet issues myself, pages either loaded perfectly, or timed out. I thought this might be a DNS issue since other services worked fine, and thought it'd go away in a couple of hours. This morning it was still acting strange.

So, I opened up task monitor (ctrl+shift+esc) and had a look at what's going on.

And something strange was indeed going on, there where 2 processes called csrss.exe, and one of them was in caps and taking up 50mb of my swap file. Normally the 'client/server runtime subsystem' doesn't take that much and certainly isn't running twice. So I figured it'd probably be a worm or trojan of some kind, and unleashed Symantec Antivirus on the file, wondering why it hadn't catched it in the first place. Symantec didn't think there was anything wrong with it though.

However, knowing csrss.exe is often faked by all kinds of trojans and virusses, I checked the path where CSRSS.EXE was in. This should be c:\windows\system32\ but it was in c:\windows\system\. It also had a different icon (the .MSI file icon, not a regular executable) and it's version information was empty.

Recycle bin to the rescue! Or so I thought, of course it was still running so I couldn't remove it, and it wouldn't let me end the process either.

So, I checked my startup list, and surprise surprise! (/sarcasm) It was there. So, simply disabled it there, rebooted, and threw it in the trashcan.

Now my internet is working perfectly again.

In other words, check for virusses, trojans, the works. If anything wierd is going on, see if getting rid of it helps. If you can't find anything wierd going on, make a screenshot of your processes (in taskmanager, including any columns that might be usefull, taskmanager->view->set columns) and post it here.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Jun 2005 08:06:45 am; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Jun 2005 01:59:49 pm    Post subject:

The program I recomend is HiJackThis for removing items like the CSRSS.EXE trojan you described. After unchecking it, I would go to the section to schedule a file deletion on reboot. How that works is you schedule the deleteion of any system file and it marks it in the registry as a RunOnce System task that will occur before the system Files start loading.

Next, it is best to just hit the reset button. Don't let teh system shutdown correctly because sometimes programs are sent a shutdown command and asked to politely terminate. Durring that time, most Trojans ensure they are set to start back up again. So, hit reset or pull the power plug.

There is also a SigVerif tool to verify signatures to see if it is signed by MS, and there is SFC /Scannow to verifity the system files are okay.

What to do is run SFC /scannow and have an XP CD with the Appropriate Service Pack Level. E.g. if running SP2, have an XP CD with SP2 already on it! You can slipstream your disc if you want.

When done, I would scan for viri and Adware (Lavasoft Ad-Aware) and then use HiJackThis to verify your startup is okay. Next, I would re-install your Service Pack again to ensure anything missing gets copied to the system. e.g. I did it because I was missing some Control Pannel Extentions.

You should finally check to ensure all of your Drivers are up-to-date and Signed By MS if possible for use with whatever Service pack you run. e.g. some Drivers are not recomended for SP2.

Finally, you should have some sort of Firewall and Antivirus software package. Be sure to update those in addition to Windows.

If you have any further problems, Re-Install TCP/IP, reset the Winsock Catalog, and ensure you have no Gaps in your Layered Service Providers. Next, you should verify that TCP/IP works by pingging something by IP. After that, verify DNS works by pingging something by DNS name on your network, and ensure NETBIOS is working too by pinging by computer name.

The easiest way to verify DNS is okay is to set a DNS suffix on two or more computers on the network then ping by computer name.

If you set the computer name COMPUTER1 and you set the suffix MYNETWORK and ping COMPUTER1 you should see:

Pinging COMPUTER1.mynetwork
Loss (0%)

Finally, you should ping something on the Internet like Google.com and check the latency.

When you are done, remove the DNS Suffix

Finally, ping something on the Internet

ping unitedti.org

you get the idea. If name resolution takes too long or doesn't resolve, flush the dns cache.

ipconfig /flushdns (I think that is the command use /? to check)

Finally, you can ask your ISP to provide you with the closest DNS servers for your area. You would put this info into your router if you have one, or your computer if you don't

To make a long story shorter, networking typically works or does not work at all.
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Jun 2005 06:34:09 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the suggestions, but I think I've narrowed down the problem. Something is wrong with my modem itself, if it's on for too long it gets warm (normal) but within 20 minutes or so it gets fairly warm to the touch and starts having all the problems I talked about above.

I don't know if it's dusty or what the problem is, but I'm going to try to get a service guy out to replace it.

Thanks!

Spyderbyte
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 11 Jun 2005 06:50:55 pm    Post subject:

that is an excellent idea.

What m odem do you have?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement