This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 May 2005 08:48:06 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
NOTE: LINUX IS FREE!!!
Even Red Hat? How is that, compared to good ol' Linux?
Bombu

Posted: 27 May 2005 10:43:15 pm    Post subject:

Red Hat is not free (in fact it can cost a LOT, depending on what you choose to buy). As far as I can tell it is pretty much tailor made as a business operating system and not a home computing os.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 28 May 2005 12:32:35 am    Post subject:

Actually, that is not true entirely.

Red Hat is free and distributed with the same Linux Licence.

What you actually are paying for is support. If you buy Red Hat Enterprise Linux for an Enterprise business, you want support.

You can download and use Red Hat Enterprise Linux legally at least according to the Linux Licence!

As for Red Hat, they also make Fedora Core Linux, which is fine for the Home Computing OS.
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 28 May 2005 01:27:22 am    Post subject:

Technically, all Linux distro has to be free to download. However, you can sell it on media's, such as CD's Wink
Bombu

Posted: 28 May 2005 03:36:11 pm    Post subject:

I never saw a download link for Red Hat.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 28 May 2005 05:35:06 pm    Post subject:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedo...ore/3/i386/iso/

However, for your situation I recomend you get a simple boot floppy. There is no need to downoad 4 CDs just to remove your partition. If you must, download CD 1. It will have plenty of stuff on it to remove all partitions.
Bombu

Posted: 30 May 2005 08:33:32 am    Post subject:

Isn't that the link for Fedora linux the one by the people that made red hat, but its made up of freeware programs (For and by community)?
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 May 2005 04:33:20 pm    Post subject:

Um, yes that is it.

It is also their test environment to try new things before incorporating them inot Red Hat Enterprise Linux. For example, they are testing SE Linux Enhancements.

I am certain Disk 1 comes with all of the partitioning stuff.
Bombu

Posted: 22 Jun 2005 03:17:11 pm    Post subject:

Ive tried Zool Linux (Single floppy disk) and Linux recovery disks (2 disks) but neither work.

Zool Linux loads and says "Starting Kernel..." and then the computer reboots and linux doesn't load.

The recovery disks just freeze.

Is it my computers or is it the disks?
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Jun 2005 04:49:08 pm    Post subject:

sounds a bit much in my ear downloading linux, simply to be able to work your harddrives, I did a google on FDISK and came up with this. Replace fdisk on your startup disk with this one, and do what you need to do

btw. neither windows95 nor DOS support harddrives over 2GB, if your harddrives are just slightly over 2GB due to standard inaccuracies of manufacture, they might not work in the OSes

Last edited by Guest on 22 Jun 2005 04:53:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 28 Jun 2005 05:10:44 pm    Post subject:

I can tell you from experience that you should have a Pentium 2 or better or the Linux Kernel will often not boot.

At least in my experinece Kernel 2.4 and 2.6 will not boot on a regular Pentium.

However, old kernel 2.2 does seem to boot on regualar Pentiums.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 28 Jun 2005 05:15:21 pm    Post subject:

wrigley wrote:
sounds a bit much in my ear downloading linux, simply to be able to work your harddrives, I did a google on FDISK and came up with this. Replace fdisk on your startup disk with this one, and do what you  need to do

btw. neither windows95 nor DOS support harddrives over 2GB, if your harddrives are just slightly over 2GB due to standard inaccuracies of manufacture, they might not work in the OSes
[post="52440"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I have never used that FDISK, but it is probably fine. Please not that there is gdisk from ghost, there is diskpart, there is fdisk, their is diskdruid, there is qtparted, there is parted, there is partition magic...

I DO NOT see why you can't just delete your partition table with something. It is extremely easy to do! The only thing I can tell you is that DOS Fdisk and Widdows FDISK have been known to hang on unknwon partitions. The FDISK program sees an unknown disklabel or partition type and panics for lack fo beter terminology.

Win 2000 and Win XP both have diskpart instead of fdisk. Chances are much better that it can delete parttiions without hanging.

YOu can also get a thrid party program to do Fdisks. You don't have to go the linux route. Just do a google search for partition editing stuff such as fdisk!
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 01 Jul 2005 03:36:33 am    Post subject:

The FDISK linked to above, is a Microsoft FDISK clone, only difference is the fact that this FDISK program will accept other filesystems as well not just fat12, fat16, fat32 and NTFS
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Jul 2005 05:00:43 am    Post subject:

Really, I do not see why it even has to recognize the partition type to delete it.

Let me simplify things for you.

You get a hard drive your BIOS will recognize. It will automatically see the right size!

Next, it does not make any difference what is on the drive! Just nuke the first 512 bytes starting at sector/cluster 0.

When you install your OS, it will think you have a new hard drive. It will write a disk label and new partition table. It will then format the partition(s) and put some sort of table (FAT/MFT/INODE...) put a trivial program in the MBR with boot code and a defining boot sector in the first sector of each partition.

Serrioulsy, nuking and starting over again is so easy to do!

Since you are using DOS, you could actually do a hard disk debug script though I would recomend you actually use a standard program first.

What I mean by debug script is an asm program to erase the MBR.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Jul 2005 05:02:16 am    Post subject:

Here is how to do it from a DOS boot floppy:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q106419/

I am telling you you should only do this if you have a lot of time and are willing to waste time and do things the hard way!
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jul 2005 01:31:37 pm    Post subject:

I'm too smart to get my PC to boot into that Recovery Console thing the Windows XP installation CD is supposed to have, is there any way to run fixmbr without using that illusive Recovery Console?
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Jul 2005 06:30:10 pm    Post subject:

Not that I know of.

All you do is put in your CD and press R or whatever it tells you to get to the recovery console.

Eventually, you choose your Windows installation by pressing 1 usually.

Then you supply the admin password.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jul 2005 06:57:56 pm    Post subject:

All I ever managed to get was some ugly Microsloth you're-at-a-half-loading-half-loaded-dos-gui-that-tries-te-look-as-good-as-unix-installs'-guis-but -looks-like-a-crashed-javascript-site-that-won't-load-further-because-it-needs-to-unpack-40GB-of-data-from-a-DVD-drive-at-the-speed-of-a-floppy-disk-and-doesn't-tell-you-how-far-it's-advanced-nor-whatever-program--or-feature-or-screen-you've-just-booted-into -so-you-haven't-a-clue-about-what's-going-on-except-that-the-DVD-drive-sounds-like-it's-gonna-blow setup-like program.

Would that be the recovery console? If so, would it be easier to just reformat, rewrite 400mb of homework, and redownload 4gb of music instead of waiting for that loading to finish?

Last edited by Guest on 02 Jul 2005 06:59:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Jul 2005 09:53:22 pm    Post subject:

The recovery console looks like this:

c:\>

You can type help to get a list of commands.

Please use the space bar in the future.

It would not be easier to re-write homework and download music.

Hell, you could easily take your hard disk out and make it a slave hard disk in another Windows 2000/XP/2003 System to get your homework and stolen music copied off of it.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jul 2005 11:27:44 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
All I ever managed to get was some ugly Microsloth you're-at-a-half-loading-half-loaded-dos-gui-that-tries-te-look-as-good-as-unix-installs'-guis-but -looks-like-a-crashed-javascript-site-that-won't-load-further-because-it-needs-to-unpack-40GB-of-data-from-a-DVD-drive-at-the-speed-of-a-floppy-disk-and-doesn't-tell-you-how-far-it's-advanced-nor-whatever-program--or-feature-or-screen-you've-just-booted-into -so-you-haven't-a-clue-about-what's-going-on-except-that-the-DVD-drive-sounds-like-it's-gonna-blow setup-like program.

Would that be the recovery console? If so, would it be easier to just reformat, rewrite 400mb of homework, and redownload 4gb of music instead of waiting for that loading to finish?
[post="52850"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Why not just burn the homework and music to a DVD or a bunch of CD's?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement