This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 14 May 2005 07:01:30 pm    Post subject:

Which programming language do you think is best for somebody who already knows HTML, PHP & mySQL, TI-BASIC, and z80 Assembly?

For my b-day my parents got me this laptop Good Idea and 'C++ Programming for Dummies'. It came with the 'Dev-C++ Compiler', so I tackled C++. The result?

I can NOT do OOP. I just don't comprehend it. Give me speghetty code (spelled right :biggrin:?) anyday, but leave your poly-morphism at the door Razz!

So I wanted your opinions. Which should I tackle? I'm looking for a language that is preferably free, relatively easy to learn (or middle), and can make a win32 executable fairly easily... should be able to do graphics ok as well, and lets see, that's about it... oh yes, I would prefer if it could do stand-alone executables (i.e compiled, but not neccessarily, like python, which is interpreted but can be compiled) ... and should be able to handle file input and output pretty well, and should not use character arrays, but strings. but that is a VERY light consideration. Basicly php Very Happy jk.

So what do you reccomend? If you REALLY think I should throw myself at OOP, say so. It's just a matter of bashing it into my head Neutral ...

ps i'm only 14

Possibilites:
C (??)
C++ (OOP!)
Java (OOP!)
Delphi (??)
Visual Basic ($$)
Python (??)
BrainFuck*
x86 (I picked up z80 pretty well... but that is TI-BCALL z80 Neutral)
Something else? Tell me!

OOP = bad...
?? = I have no clue about this langauge
$$ = It costs money for a compiler / interpreter!

*just kdding!

Last edited by Guest on 14 May 2005 07:12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 May 2005 07:15:22 pm    Post subject:

Try to tackle C(++) or Java anyway, it will pay off.

But if the OOP concepts are bugging you, try learning the OOP ways of PHP(5), since you already know PHP that should be much easyer.

Once you feel comfrtable with that kind of stuff, just go C or Java. (I prefer Java)

Last edited by Guest on 14 May 2005 07:18:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 May 2005 07:19:12 pm    Post subject:

Or you could learn C first, then move on to C++ if you feel you're ready for OOP.
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 14 May 2005 07:22:39 pm    Post subject:

wow, thanks for the quick replys.

is C OOP btw?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 May 2005 07:26:20 pm    Post subject:

Somewhat, not fully compliant with modern OOP standards, that's about as specific as I can get since I never bothered to learn C, only C++.
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 14 May 2005 07:50:06 pm    Post subject:

well I'm currently leaning (unwillingly !) upon bashing my head with C++. I'll wait another 5 - 7 days to see other members response...
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 May 2005 07:52:06 pm    Post subject:

I think that you should learn C before C++, classes just make things confusing at first.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 14 May 2005 09:08:12 pm    Post subject:

You learned all those languages and you can't sit down for a while and learn something new? It's really not that difficult, and is something really nice to learn, will help you out everywhere. Seriously, it's not that difficult, get to work! :P

[EDIT] - Wow, I'm member #9, didn't realise that. Neutral

Last edited by Guest on 14 May 2005 09:09:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 14 May 2005 09:43:19 pm    Post subject:

The point is not that I can't learn something new, it's that I want to know WHAT to learn before I start learning. A programmer once told me "It's better to be a master at 1 thing then be a jack of all trades and a master of nuthin'"... and I wanted to know what else was good other than OOP, which in my week of trying I couldn't grasp.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 14 May 2005 11:05:20 pm    Post subject:

Well, I'd say jump right into C++, get it down cold, it really is one of the most usefull languages out there. You could start with C first, I suppose, but like Arcane Wizard, I never bothered, and just went for C++. That's my suggestion, C++ all the way.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 May 2005 05:15:45 am    Post subject:

Just don't delve right into polymorphism or class inheritance, start with getting a good feel for how a console program looks, how to use functions (PHP uses practically the same way of declaring/calling functions as C so that should be a blast, C just needs you to declare the variable/return types as well) and do some little text game's like guess-the-numbar.

Then get at home with manipulating variables, how to use arrays, lists, and finally pointers. Maybe do some file i/o in between or afterwards, extend your guess-the-numbar game with a save-the-highscore feature. Don't bother trying anything OOP related in C/C++ before getting a really good grip on pointers. Pointers should be easy for you though, considering you have experience in assembly.

Then you should be comfertable enough with C++ to learn about classes, don't bother with how inheritance or overloading works yet, just get a good feel on how to make your own classes, and how to use it's variables, functions, and subclasses. Confert your guess-the-numbar game to use classes.

Now you should be far enough into C++ to just keep at it, learn the stuff you want/are interested in, program a couple of things, or delve into graphics. And for that you'll want to learn how to use the Win32 API, and then you may want to move on to openGL or DirectDraw/DirectX. But that's a long way off from now.

Also, learn the value of wikipedia.org, it explains more or less every programming theorem in excistence.

Oh, and don't let the buzzwords bite. Keep it real. Yo.

Last edited by Guest on 15 May 2005 05:23:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 15 May 2005 10:16:29 am    Post subject:

wow- people seem to be REALLY all for C++... so I guess that's what my task is! Arcane Wizard, I really appreciate you laying out what I should do to learn it *shows respect*. About pointers- is they pretty much the same as, say, hl pointing to the address some_label? Just out of curiosity :P

Now, if only I knew some good C++ tutorials online... </subtle hint>
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 May 2005 01:08:41 pm    Post subject:

Well, I prefer Java, because it doesn't have any of the ugly C++ ways of dealing with OOP practises, like pointers, but if there's any language you have to know it's C/C++.

About pointers, yes, that's exactly it. If we wanted iPointerVariable to point to iSomeFunction:
int *iPointerVariable = &iSomeFunction;

I don't think any online tutorial will be better than C++ for Dummies, but I think http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/index.html is pretty good, and you can download the book Thinking in C++ for free.

Last edited by Guest on 15 May 2005 01:08:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 18 May 2005 06:44:11 am    Post subject:

thanks for the link, i'll try it out. don't have time to focus on learning just yet, i'll probably start when school gets out (june 15th) Wink
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Jun 2005 09:10:04 am    Post subject:

I've never taken a course in anything computer related, and so I was wondering, where do/did/could you go to take these courses, and would you have to pay to take them? I checked some website here and the prices were somethinglike $500 a day, would that be standard?

Last edited by Guest on 16 Jun 2005 09:13:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Jun 2005 09:25:50 am    Post subject:

My advice:

Go to college and realise you can easily learn anything you want from wikipedia.org, some/that big math site, and free online tutorials.

Then either stay in college because degrees always come in handy, or leave.

Last edited by Guest on 16 Jun 2005 09:26:58 am; edited 1 time in total
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Jun 2005 05:07:39 pm    Post subject:

Sorry no college here Sad , closest is university, but it is a different kind, as I have understood it. Like if you want to be a doctor you go to university, there is no medschool afterwards. Unless you decide to study litterature, there are no litterature classes, and if you do subjects such as computing are ruled out. Not that I wish to study litterature, just trying to state that you choose a direction in which to study and then all subjects will be about that.

But I don't like the fact that one has to limit oneself to one thing, cause what if you after 5 years (university here takes minimum 5 years) are all fed up with whatever you've been studying? or maybe you just want to take one class and not necessarily want to spend the rest of your life doing that thing? Neutral

If I have just described the spitting image of college please let me know...

And about tutorials, great principle! But still, I'm getting tired of them, and I thought perhaps taking an interactive tutorial in the form of a course somewhere would be a nice change. I wouldn't pay $500 a day I havn't got that kind of money, wish I did though Laughing

Last edited by Guest on 16 Jun 2005 05:25:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 16 Jun 2005 07:18:39 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
hanks for the link, i'll try it out. don't have time to focus on learning just yet, i'll probably start when school gets out (june 15th) wink.gif

it's june 16th! Woot! w00t! I'm out of school for good, out of school for good, out of school for- crap, september. Wake me up... when september ends...

seriously though, i have thrown myself at c++ and have come up with t3h ultimate guess the number game- even better than wacky fun random number generater*. I'll upload it to my personal site as soon as i get the chance...

*would that be numbar?
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 16 Jun 2005 09:59:58 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
*would that be numbar?
Yep, wacky fun random numbar generator.

Just curious, how did you start learning C++? A tutorial somewhere? That's something I've been meaning to do sometime, as it seems more useful than calculator programming. Smile
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Jun 2005 04:15:19 am    Post subject:

what on earth is a numbar?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement