This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 12 May 2005 02:04:43 pm    Post subject:

I recently bought Windows 98 Second Edition off of ebay so I can just clear everything off my computer and start over, but I have a problem Windows 98 is not deleting. When I try to uninstall it I get the message Windows 98 Second Edition Setup did not save your original system files, or the information has since been deleted. What can I do?, is there anyway to unistall it?
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2005 02:11:53 pm    Post subject:

You can try restarting your computer on MS-Dos mode and type "format c:"
Caution: IT WILL DELETE EVERYTHING IN THE C DRIVE! Make sure you have another OS with you

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 12 May 2005 02:18:03 pm    Post subject:

Yes I have windows 98 second edition full install, but this will delete windows right?
Brazucs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2005 02:22:28 pm    Post subject:

Yes, along with everything else in C. Backup anything you might want.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 12 May 2005 02:24:20 pm    Post subject:

Thanks I completly forgot about MS-DOS.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2005 02:49:35 pm    Post subject:

you forgot about MS-DOS???

Anyway windows 98 is awful anyway...go Mac...especially since Tiger just came out
Brazucs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2005 02:50:47 pm    Post subject:

Yes it is! Does this remind you of anything? :

Last edited by Guest on 12 May 2005 02:59:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 12 May 2005 08:50:14 pm    Post subject:

Yeah...that doesn't look to different from any generic Linux kernel panic. Don't worry I've probably seen more linux kernel panics then your average user will, thanks to specialized industrial hardware that costs nearly $2,000 per card, and had far from mature linux drivers at the time.

--AlienCC
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 May 2005 12:10:01 am    Post subject:

Neat O.

Anyway, you can more than likely just put the Win98 CD in the drive and boot to it then do a clean install of it.

Windows 98 Really Sucks though!

I would recomend you go with Windows 2000 because most computers that can handle 98 can handle 2000 very well.

Win 2000 is built on a pre-emtpive multi-tasking process m odel and is imensely more secure and reliable. It supports multiple users better, and will run loads more software than Legacy Win 98. Since 2000 and XP have almost the same Kerenel (base of os program code), 2000 runs just about anything that is designed for XP even it it says XP. e.g. Office 2003, Office XP, IE 6 SP1, ...

2000 is also okay for games too usually.

I know a lot of people think of 2000 as NT, but in reality, it is much closer to XP than it is NT.

Did I mention, networking goes a lot more smoothly with 2000 than with win 98?

The Driver Database of Windows 2000 is loads bigger too, so more than likely it will Plug and Play you hardware and load the correct drivers for you if you have a system that is a couple years old.

Last edited by Guest on 13 May 2005 12:12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 May 2005 07:26:11 am    Post subject:

or just ditch windows altogether Smile
Redline

Posted: 13 May 2005 07:01:11 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
or just ditch windows altogether Smile

Already tried... missing too many apps and games Dry

Quote:
The Driver Database of Windows 2000 is loads bigger too, so more than likely it will Plug and Play you hardware and load the correct drivers for you if you have a system that is a couple years old.

You mean plug and pray? :biggrin:

Anyways if you're doing Windows 98, make sure you get a bootdisk from bootdisk.com. Then start your computer off the disk and type "Format C:" when you see the flashing cursor. After that your drive will be prepaired and you can type d:\ (some of those disks of bootdisk.com are r:\)setup.exe

Make sure you have your serial/license key too.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 13 May 2005 10:25:32 pm    Post subject:

Why even bother with the whole boot up and format bit?

It seems easier to just delete the partition then boot off the Win98 CD and follow the prompts. It will create a partition and format it for you.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 14 May 2005 11:13:45 am    Post subject:

Unfortunatly I'm going to be stuck with Win 98 SE for a while beause I didn't look into Windows 2000 and XP is $200 dollars. Anyway I deleted everything off the C drive and I need to install windows. I have the Windows Start up floppy disk with the files needed to start a cd rom in MS DoS but how am suppose to do it. A:/sys.com was suppose to load a cd rom but it says the required parameter is missing. I never trasfered the sys.com files to the cd rom drive if your suppose to or not. How am suppose to start the WINDOWS 98 SE CD?
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 14 May 2005 12:57:04 pm    Post subject:

Why run the sys command?

Actually, it is a:\>sys a: c:, but why run it?

You should simply run fdisk and delete the entire partition! You don't even have to delete anything. Just simply remove all partitions from the hard drive!

The easiest way to do this is with linux, and it works even for partitions, drive overlays, hidden partitions that won't go away...

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1

That will wipe out the Master Boot Record completely.

Now, just boot to the Win98 Disc and let it initialize the new hard drive it sees.

It will detect a new hard drive without any partitions and no disk label.

Just select to use FAT32 if given the choice and make it as big as 98 will allow or the full size of the Hard Disk. Let Setup format it for you too.

It should prepare the Hard Disk, Copy the Files, Reboot and Detect the hardware.

Last edited by Guest on 14 May 2005 12:58:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Redline

Posted: 14 May 2005 08:42:16 pm    Post subject:

If you want XP you can get the full version of home edition at newegg.com for 80 bucks or so. When installing Windows 98, make sure you have your BIOS set to boot from the CD-ROM!

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 16 May 2005 02:06:34 pm    Post subject:

I installed Windows 98, but I have a problem or actually many. When I go to properties at the desktop and go to change the screen area to accomidate more pixels to it will not let me why is that? Another is my computer has only 16 colors yet it could support over 256 before. My sound is missing and the graphics are crapier. How can I fix this?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 May 2005 02:21:39 pm    Post subject:

Install the correct drivers for your videocard.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 17 May 2005 01:52:50 pm    Post subject:

I dont have the original manufactor disk that came with the computer any more.
shadowing