This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 16 Jul 2003 01:32:28 pm    Post subject:

Anyone here know how to use OpenGL at all? If you have any good tutorials on lighting, texturing etc, I'd appreciate if you could send them to me Smile The book I bought assumes that you know advanced win32 when it gets to advanced concepts and just applys openGL to it Sad.

Imp

Last edited by Guest on 16 Jul 2003 01:33:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Jul 2003 07:56:40 am    Post subject:

Well, you could learn win32 first (which is something I recommend since I'm all for building up your knowledge one step at a time) but this is the best opengl site I know:
NeHe
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 17 Jul 2003 12:47:25 pm    Post subject:

I dislike Nehe. They make their programs waaaay too long, too much windows stuff thrown in. I dont see why you need 80 lines of setting up a window, resizing it, etc when you can use one line of glut lol. Nehe has a lot of wierd functions and its set up wierd. Of the ~$200 of books ive bought in the last month or two, they make it so much simpler, nothing like that. (Just bought a new book from borders 30 min ago yay)

Imp

Last edited by Guest on 17 Jul 2003 12:48:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
coelurus

Posted: 23 Jul 2003 04:15:49 am    Post subject:

Glut has a special way of doing things, a set of functions that are _needed_. I prefer the pure display-setup that Nehe uses and it can be split from the main code. The best way though is to see how other pros do. Get source-code from various locations and see how they setup their displays. If you got specific preferences in doing things, we can't help.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 17 Aug 2003 03:00:57 pm    Post subject:

Go look through some source for the linux OS or something "pro" and see how much that really helps you. Hey, I think Ill go learn another language! Lets get 300 lines that we've never seen before dropped on us to make a red box! Sounds like a plan! You have to admit, to learn it, 3 lines to make your window isnt that bad.

Have A Nice Day,
JoeImp
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Aug 2003 04:16:20 pm    Post subject:

I don't think they're that long, and since they don't require any custom includes (maybe this changed since the last time I went to nehe?) I think they're pretty decent.

You did ask for any good tutorials on opengl and all I did was suggest the best one I know.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 17 Aug 2003 04:18:13 pm    Post subject:

I was mostly replying to Coelrus.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Aug 2003 04:35:40 pm    Post subject:

Well, he has a point, looking at other people's source code does help but I don't think it get's you that far as to say it's the best method to learning new programming languages. As far as I'm concerned, books and tutorials (preferably downloadable, but windows' temporary internet files directory can be handy to get what without having to save all the pages page by page manually.) and actually trying stuff out still are the best way to learn.

Last edited by Guest on 17 Aug 2003 04:35:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement