This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 13 Mar 2005 07:23:19 am    Post subject:

If you've gone to configure windows file associations before (such as html) chances are the file type you wanted to edit existed on the system but wasn't in the list. If you are running windows 98, simple follow the instructions in this document (making changes where appropriate) in order to un-hide the file type and allow you to edit it. (thanks to AlienCC for finding the site)
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Mar 2005 01:55:45 pm    Post subject:

Perfect for that small fraction of us who use Windows 98... does anyone?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Mar 2005 02:58:53 pm    Post subject:

For Windows XP you can use Tools->Folder Options->File Types. And there's always regedit.

Last edited by Guest on 13 Mar 2005 02:59:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 14 Mar 2005 01:49:36 am    Post subject:

Um... the point of this fix is that the associations aren't on the File Types list (they are "hidden"). And editing the registry is dangerous, especially when you don't know where to look. This provides a safe and effective way to get hidden associations to appear on the File Types list, allowing you to edit them. Of course on XP you are restricted to editing the registry (oh and I looked- none of the file extensions have any discernable marking that says wether they should be hidden from the list or not; windows seems to do it at random) to do this. Good luck with that one.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Mar 2005 01:50:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Mar 2005 01:57:05 am    Post subject:

Speaking of which, I know there's a way to sort the extensions alphabetically but is there a way to sort them by their associated program?
BTW, I'm running XP.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Mar 2005 03:12:41 am    Post subject:

go to detail view, and click on the 'type' colon. Now it sorts by description. For example, if you have Paint Shop Pro installed, gif and jpg will have the same description 'Paint Shop Pro Image'.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Mar 2005 04:45:02 am    Post subject:

JACstudios_ceo wrote:
Um...  the point of this fix is that the associations aren't on the File Types list (they are "hidden").

They appear when you create them.

Quote:
And editing the registry is dangerous, especially when you don't know where to look. This provides a safe and effective way to get hidden associations to appear on the File Types list, allowing you to edit them.
Crossing the street is also dangerous. Just don't be an idiot and don't delete/edit stuff where you don't know what it does. It's not like changing HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\_ _ _\shell\open\command 's default value is going to blow up your computer.

Quote:
Of course on XP you are restricted to editing the registry (oh and I looked- none of the file extensions have any discernable marking that says wether they should be hidden from the list or not; windows seems to do it at random) to do this. Good luck with that one.
Or the file type list.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 16 Mar 2005 07:33:29 pm    Post subject:

They are not hidden. Quite simply, you just need to know where to find the BMP file extention. Chances are the .bmp file extention has some goofy name like "Adobe Bitmap Picture" or something stupid like that you will see when you go to edit the assosiations.

The best thing to do is right click on a .bmp file and go to properties.

What you are looking for is the:

Type of File: PNG Image

Obviously you will be looking for what the bmp file is actually called. I am showing the XP default for what a .png is referred too as.

I will post instructions for fixing this. I fixed BMP files on my computer about 3 months ago.

Hell if you want I can post .reg files to do it for you.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement