This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Mar 2005 09:29:01 am    Post subject:

Do you know how i can connect my computer to the TV, so that the TV and the monitor both show the computers image?

I have a Geforce FX5200 PCI 128MB, with an s-video port. It says on the box that i can connect it to the TV.

My TV only has a scart port, so i put the s-video in a converter port, that's connected to the tv-scart.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Mar 2005 11:37:09 am    Post subject:

Connect the cable on both ends.
Boot up.
Set the TV to the AV (Audio/Video) channel.
You should be able to select the PC's monitor as the primary monitor and the TV as the device to Extend the Desktop to or as a Display Clone device in the graphics settings. My settings are handled by my video card's drivers (Intel Extreme Graphics 2) so the specific menu's and such vary, I can just right click on the desktop->Intel Dual Display Clone->Laptop&Tv. At least try the extend the desktop option to check if the cable works.

Now, scart sucks, so you might have some trouble getting this to work. Especially older TV's don't like s-video->scart even though it's supposed to be the standard and stuff. My TV didn't.

This can be fixed by buying an s-video->composite cable instead of an s-video->scart one, then you need an composite->scart converter like you might have to connect a console to your PC. (it came standard with my PS2 anyway, though I already had one) s-video->composite quality sucks though, can't read text, but works good enough for movies and such.

In case you don't know that s-video doesn't send an audio signal.. s-video doesn't send an audio signal. Just plug in your regular hifi stereo surround suond 5.1 dolby super sound stereo set or get a 3.5mm->composite cable and plug that into the remaining (red) plug of your composite->scart converter.

Oh, and uhm, if the tv's settings on the computer aren't set to PAL-B yet, set it to PAL-B that should work for us Europeans.

Last edited by Guest on 08 Mar 2005 11:42:41 am; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Mar 2005 01:17:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Connect the cable on both ends.
Boot up.
Set the TV to the AV (Audio/Video) channel.
You should be able to select the PC's monitor as the primary monitor and the TV as the device to Extend the Desktop to or as a Display Clone device in the graphics settings. My settings are handled by my video card's drivers (Intel Extreme Graphics 2) so the specific menu's and such vary, I can just right click on the desktop->Intel Dual Display Clone->Laptop&Tv. At least try the extend the desktop option to check if the cable works.
Now that's the weird part, i could set it to extend, i could go with the mouse to the right part of the screen, that the tv should display, if i pressed printscreen it showed that part too, but the tv stayed black.

Quote:
Now, scart sucks, so you might have some trouble getting this to work. Especially older TV's don't like s-video->scart even though it's supposed to be the standard and stuff. My TV didn't.

This can be fixed by buying an s-video->composite cable instead of an s-video->scart one, then you need an composite->scart converter like you might have to connect a console to your PC. (it came standard with my PS2 anyway, though I already had one) s-video->composite quality sucks though, can't read text, but works good enough for movies and such.

I have a composite to scart converter, one that came with my n64 and a few connected to the tv and the video. I don't think i'm going to use it though, my video has 3 composite ports on the front, so i'll put it in those. It's more practical anyway.

Quote:
In case you don't know that s-video doesn't send an audio signal.. s-video doesn't send an audio signal. Just plug in your regular hifi stereo surround suond 5.1 dolby super sound stereo set or get a 3.5mm->composite cable and plug that into the remaining (red) \plug of your composite->scart converter.

I know that, that's quite obvious really, the gfx card doesn't handle the sound. I'll try to find my old Y-cable for 3.5mm plug to red+white composite.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Mar 2005 01:39:53 pm    Post subject:

When it works you should see your wallpaper on the tv, even when in extended mode. Nothing on the screen at all would probably indicate a malfunction cable/connector/tv, but try playing with the settings anyway.

How old is the tv?
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Mar 2005 02:04:08 pm    Post subject:

i don't know, it's kind of old, 7 years at least. But another tv that's probably older did work, but that one has an s-video port. It's probably the scart.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Mar 2005 09:27:10 am    Post subject:

It works now, it was black and white at first, but when i set it to PAL-B/G (couldn't read the text) it worked. Small text is unreadable, but it works great with movies. Even relatively low-quality movies look good.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 17 Mar 2005 08:31:59 pm    Post subject:

Um Just do this:

Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > Nvidia Geforce... Tab
nView Clone

If it doesn't offer nView Clone options, it doesn't see the monitor. The fix is to remove the S-Video cable and re-insert it with the TV and the computer on. It will make the same sound as plugging in something USB.

In the US, you should use NTSC. PAL is for other countries.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Mar 2005 02:41:47 am    Post subject:

It already works, it just freaks out if i do hibernate, switch monitors, and switch it on. Apparently it checks the screen at start up.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement