This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 07 Mar 2005 04:13:51 pm    Post subject:

I have XP Home as a server. I need to remote connect to it from a computer running 2000, without installing any extra client software, or just be able to control it remotely in any way without client software. How do I do so? I don't believe remote desktop server capabilities are built into XP home.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.

Imp
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Mar 2005 04:16:07 pm    Post subject:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx wrote:
Note The Remote Desktop Connection software is pre-installed with Windows XP. To run it, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, click Communications, and then click Remote Desktop Connection. This software package can also be found on the Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Home Edition product CDs and can be installed on any supported Windows platform. To install from the CD, insert the disc into the target machine's CD-ROM drive, select Perform Additional Tasks, and then click Install Remote Desktop Connection.
If you can't figure it out there hit the help button, from what I remember it explains everything.

I think it's better to use 3rd party software though, Windows' Remote Desktop has never been really secure, though that may have improved in SP2 you may not have that installed, and I'd still be weary of it.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Mar 2005 04:19:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 07 Mar 2005 04:56:26 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Remote Desktop Connection softwar

- The connection software is to connect, not to host a server

Quote:
I think it's better to use 3rd party software though

"without client software"

I can install any server software necessary, but there cant be any extra client software that you have to install, maybe an exe will work, but nothing that needs to be actually installed.

Any ideas?

Imp
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Mar 2005 05:29:24 pm    Post subject:

Maybe I misunderstood what you're trying to do, but you can use the remote desktop software windows has to remotely access/control a computer. But you need someone to start/accept the session on PC1, so it's utterly useless.

A friend of mine uses a 3rd party program on his home pc, which I believe let's him access it over http, I'll ask him tomorrow what software it was again, I think I have the install file on my computer but I'm not sure if it's the same program. It also comes with a client exe so you get graphics interface (like you're watching the other pc's monitor) but I believe you can do without it via http.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Mar 2005 05:32:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 07 Mar 2005 05:31:40 pm    Post subject:

Ah, thank you very much, please try and find out about that program.

Basically, I don't really need to use the server for management, just its internet connection, so I can access sites from it, and transfer it to the client.

Find out about that program, keep me informed Very Happy Cool

Thanks!

Imp
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Mar 2005 05:37:07 pm    Post subject:

http://www.realvnc.com/
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 07 Mar 2005 06:47:22 pm    Post subject:

That looks like it might just work! Very Happy

The image is a little distorted on the client, but it will work fine for what I need it to do.

Thanks Arcane, this is just what I was looking for!

Very Happy Cool

[EDIT] - I figured out why it was distorted. I was connecting to myself, and seeing the client window, and it just created an endless loop of client windows. It wouldn't happen if I connected from somewhere else lol. Stupid me

Imp

Last edited by Guest on 07 Mar 2005 06:54:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 07 Mar 2005 08:33:08 pm    Post subject:

Personally, Ultra Vnc is much better than RealVNC, but Real VNC is a good place to look.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 07 Mar 2005 09:42:15 pm    Post subject:

This has to be over the internet, not a network, I'm not sure of Ultra VNC does that, but I'll look into it.

[EDIT] - WORKS LIKE A CHARM Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy :D

I simply pop http://24.xx.xx.xxx:5800 into any IE, log in, and my desktop is there. Works like a charm.

THANK YOU

Imp

Last edited by Guest on 07 Mar 2005 10:10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 17 Mar 2005 08:36:56 pm    Post subject:

You are welcome.

Did you know you can set it up to be automatically installed on workstations on your LAN if you have good control?

Do you know it supports DSM plugins for Hi-Strength encryption.

Do you know you can hide the Tray Icon?

Do you know you can hide Ultra VNC from Add/Remove programs?

Do you know you can run it as a System Service, so you do not have to be logged. It will start with the system as a system process that runs regardless of whether users log in and out.

Did you know you can do remote file copies? Are you aware it supports chatting with someone on the other side?

You can blank their screen or even lock the keyboard and mouse. Send CTRL ALT DEL...

You can even update the password on-the-fly though the service must be restarted.

I suggest you run it as a service with a good password, and encryption. Especially if using it over the net.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement