This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Mar 2005 08:34:33 am    Post subject:

So, i'm making the $4.00 link, and it needs a LED. Unfortunaly i don't know which side of the LED is which side on the schematics. This is the LED:

As you can see there's a long connector and a short one.

I have this sign on the schematics:

Code:
>|

with 2 little arrows above it. So, does the long part of the connector is on the side of the little triangle or on the side of the little line?

This may sound like a stupid question but this is kind of the first time i do something like this, so...don't laugh at me.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Mar 2005 11:02:45 am    Post subject:

Nah, it's a perfectly legitimate question. There should be two metal filiments inside the 'bulb' section. Whichever one is largest or tallest is the negative one.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Mar 2005 11:04:19 am    Post subject:

so, the negative one is the triangle side?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Mar 2005 12:01:04 pm    Post subject:

Mainly, the arrow always points to the negative side. So the long connector goes to +. It's backwards because back then, they thought electricity went from + to - and not the other way around.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Mar 2005 03:54:14 pm    Post subject:

Okay, thanks a lot. Now i can finish my serial link!

I think i learned the exact same thing in electronics class a few years ago.. just forgot it.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Mar 2005 06:19:15 pm    Post subject:

Let us know how it goes. I've been having problems with all of my cables for some reason. (Probably window's fault)
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Mar 2005 06:45:25 pm    Post subject:

You can tell (+) from (-) on LED's by the wires. Make sure you don't cut them the same length. I don't remember which side was which, but the short and long make a difference.

The >| means that the LED (light-emitting DIODE) can only go one way, in the direction of the arrow.

EDIT: Missed DigiTan's post. Long wire is (+) then, I guess.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Mar 2005 06:45:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Mar 2005 12:07:01 pm    Post subject:

Now i have another problem. I have to solder all the wires to this:

(well, kinda like that, but without the wires connected to the back)

I mess it up everytime, because i solder all the wires to eachother, and all the connector thingies too. I ruined one connector that way. I don't want to mess up my second one, so, is there some easy way to do this?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Mar 2005 12:20:36 pm    Post subject:

Put solder on the connector ends.
Repeat:
Put wire end on connector end.
Heat for a moment.
Press wire into connector.

Put solder on the resistors.
Put resistors in place.
Heat for a moment.

Same for LED and diodes.

Don't use too much solder.
Keep everything clean.

I can ask a friend to dig up some step-by-step pictures I took when I made my cable, if he still has them, it was for a small report.

Last edited by Guest on 23 Mar 2005 12:24:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Mar 2005 03:13:44 pm    Post subject:

I used to have the same problem so I bought solder flux at a surplus shop. It de-contaminates the metal pins, so the solder only goes where you want it to. A lifetime's supply cost about $4 USC.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Mar 2005 03:55:22 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I used that when I made a second cable, it works well, but I find that you get similar results if you have a steady hand and some patience.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement