This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 13 Feb 2005 05:41:04 pm    Post subject:

Every time my neighbores turn on their wireless network, I get disconnected from mine. I've been trying to fix it, but I can't. We're both running 802.11G networks. There's is on channel 10, I've changed mine to channel 4, and but on WEP 64Bit encryption, but it still kicks me off whenever they turn theirs on. I lose connection, so I scan for networks, and I dont even see mine anymore, but there's is right there. If I can't fix it, I'm going to steal their internet every time they kick me off, but it is so annoying because I get disconnected from AIM, IRC, torrents, etc.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you for all suggestions

Imp
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 Feb 2005 06:18:26 pm    Post subject:

Did you think of changing the encryption? Or something else? And what OS do you have?
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 13 Feb 2005 08:32:38 pm    Post subject:

I was at no encryption at first, and it didn't work. Now I'm at 64bit WEP encryption, doesn't work. I'm running Windows XP Home Edition, Service Pack 1, because Service Pack 2 SUCKS, but anyways, thanks for replying.

Imp
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 Feb 2005 10:06:46 pm    Post subject:

Service Pack 2 will solve those problems. That was one of the flaws in SP1. SP2 fixes most wireless network detection problems.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 13 Feb 2005 10:17:01 pm    Post subject:

I refuse to install service pack 2. It it is a piece of shit. I dont need pop up blockers, because I dont use your shitty internet explorer. I don't need your virus protection, because I'm not a dumbass. Half of my programs will not work with Service Pack 2. Everything just dies because of it. I doubt it would fix this problem, but if it did, I still wouldn't install it. Actually, I might install it just to see how it won't work, then I can laugh at it more. It's such a waste of time. Piece of crappy software.

/me installs linux

(Im mostly ddrunk with no sleep. Dont mind me)

Imp-edioamamagican
Raster

Posted: 13 Feb 2005 10:47:53 pm    Post subject:

Legally you could "steel" there internet with it being legal. Your just recieving floating airways, and transmitting radio signals. If you were to directly hook up to there network (non wireless) without there permition, then it becomes illegal.

Think of it like standard cable, directly hook up with them its illegal, but if your just recieving the leaking signals from there cable through your TV its ok.

PS: Just dont mess with there files, and you'll be ok Cool .

I am not responsible for any act committed by this post. Whatever you do is all on you own will, and I am not held responsible. Very Happy .
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Feb 2005 05:27:16 am    Post subject:

Have you turned off automatically connecting to wireless networks? Have you tried the option to only connect to preffered networks and only having your own wlan as preferred?
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Feb 2005 08:01:48 am    Post subject:

Man, I was having the same problem with my neighbors. Problem is that they turned it on and off evertime someone different went on. When I installed SP2, everything was okay.
Either you install SP2 or steal their connection...
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 14 Feb 2005 02:03:21 pm    Post subject:

As brazucs said, there are two options with another one.

a. Install SP2
b. Steal connection
c. LINUX!!!
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Feb 2005 02:32:54 pm    Post subject:

I'm running SP1 and it doesn't even get confused with over 20 WLANs present.

If nothing seems to work there's always the option of disabling Windows' selection and using a 3rd party program that'll manage it. If you have an Intel Wifi card you can use "INTEL PROSet for Windows."
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 14 Feb 2005 06:15:05 pm    Post subject:

I AM using a third party program, the software that came with my router. It works both ways though, most of the time. I point all of you to the thread in open topic.

Imp
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 14 Feb 2005 07:06:57 pm    Post subject:

Ah,

I have Intel PROSet Myself newest Driver for 2200, Newest Firmware on Router, and SP2.

No problems ever. Never been disconnected.

If I were you, I would at least update my driver for the Network Card then let ZeroConfigureation Do its thing. Widnows is a lot happier when you use Zero Config.

ZeroConfig uses your driver.

I would also bump my encryption up to 128 Wep or WPA -PSK if possible.

I would consider a firmware update for your router too possibly.

Lastly, I would lookup the frequencies for all the Channels and find the channel the furtthest away from your neighbors channel. For all we know, 11 might be further away from 10 than 4. You should look up the frequencies and try to get as far away as possible.

Next, I would tell your Wireless card to only authinticate with your router set it in the preferred list and only to Wireless AP no Ad-Hoc (for security)

This should keep you connected.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 15 Feb 2005 06:19:36 pm    Post subject:

Raster wrote:
Legally you could "steel" there internet with it being legal. Your just recieving floating airways, and transmitting radio signals. If you were to directly hook up to there network (non wireless) without there permition, then it becomes illegal.

Actually, I think there is a case in court about this. The FCC (or some other gov't org.) wants to make "stealing" airwaves illegal, just like regular information. I don't think there's been a decision made yet, but be careful. Razz
Not that they could detect you easily, and they probably don't care/have no idea it's illegal.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 15 Feb 2005 09:26:47 pm    Post subject:

Hmmm. I ran netstumbler today, and found ANOTHER network, named 'default' lol. I get it ~70% connectivity. I have no idea who's it is lol

Imp
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Feb 2005 09:29:27 pm    Post subject:

wo... you must live in young people's neighborhood, 'cause where I live there are 90% old people! So I don't think most of them have even heard of computers.
You could easily never pay for internet!
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 15 Feb 2005 10:20:51 pm    Post subject:

brazucs16 wrote:
wo... you must live in young people's neighborhood, 'cause where I live there are 90% old people! So I don't think most of them have even heard of computers.

I went to my grandparents' house. They have 56k. With my dad's laptop I was able to pick up a signal from the house next door. (It was encrypted Sad ) So I guess old people can have wireless networks too. Maybe a "geek squad" or something similar set it up.

As for not paying for internet, I've heard there are people that go around doing that. They have WiFi "sniffers" or whatever, and whenever they find an open network, they use a code to tell their friends. (Chalk mark on sidewalk, etc.) I've never done it, but I think it would be fun to try.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Feb 2005 05:31:44 am    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
Not that they could detect you easily

It's pretty easy actually, you just show up on their network, so they could just check what your MAC adress is and use a MAC-scanner (kind of like an advanced metal detector) to find where you're hiding.

At least that's what they do at my college when you scan everybody on the entire network for open ports. Neutral

Quote:
As for not paying for internet, I've heard there are people that go around doing that. They have WiFi "sniffers" or whatever, and whenever they find an open network, they use a code to tell their friends. (Chalk mark on sidewalk, etc.) I've never done it, but I think it would be fun to try.
Laptop or PDA with Wifi + autoconnect + play sound on connect, or a program that logs all WLANs found/connected to comes in handy. Especially usefull when you go to work/school with the train and want an almost continuous connection, just store the log with all it's settings and recall it when you start the trip.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Feb 2005 07:19:52 am    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
brazucs16 wrote:

I went to my grandparents' house. They have 56k. With my dad's laptop I was able to pick up a signal from the house next door. (It was encrypted Sad ) So I guess old people can have wireless networks too. Maybe a "geek squad" or something similar set it up.

yeah, i've seen something like that in the newspaper. I warned my dad about it, if he sees a weird chalk signal on the sidewalk he has to turn encryption on IMMEDIATELY.

Not that it would ever happen here, we live in a really boring sub urb full of old people.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 16 Feb 2005 04:39:27 pm    Post subject:

To setup the wireless access list for my router, I need my card's device name and mac address. I got the mac address, but how do I get the device name? In Cain & Able, I see this, would this be the device name?

\Device\NPF_{BEEC2xxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx}

(Without the x's of course)

Or from Network Connection Properties would it be:

NETGEAR WG311v2 802.11g Wireless PCI Adapater ?

I think it is the second one, but it takes so long to get my network working without access list stuff, I want to make sure it is right first.

Thanks a lot!

Imp
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 16 Feb 2005 05:36:01 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
alexrudd wrote:
Not that they could detect you easily

It's pretty easy actually, you just show up on their network, so they could just check what your MAC adress is and use a MAC-scanner (kind of like an advanced metal detector) to find where you're hiding.

How many "stupid neighbores" that don't even use encryption have a MAC scanner, or even know what it is, or even what a MAC address is? :P

Perhaps it is time for you to learn the art of sabotage. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement