This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
Raster

Posted: 08 Feb 2005 05:39:16 pm    Post subject:

I havent talked here in a while, but I have a pritty good Idea.

I though of a TI calculator EEPROM burner, can burn and read 2 Mbit EEPROM's. Then while I though of this topic I'm making, what about PIC's too. I just wanted to see if this would be a good idea to build.

PS: I know Ill have to have external memory for this project, and another power source for the 12.5V to burn the EEPROM.

And if you have any other ideas post'em.
Raster

Posted: 08 Feb 2005 06:13:37 pm    Post subject:

Wow. The last time I was here there was alot more action going on in these forums. WHAT THE H*** HAPPEND!!! Sorry for the languedge. Cool .
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 08 Feb 2005 08:49:17 pm    Post subject:

I'm afraid a lot of people got frustrated by the slow load times we had with the old hosting service, this is no longer a problem so feel free to invite anyone to come participate.

--AlienCC
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Feb 2005 01:26:51 am    Post subject:

You were probably last here what that agility guy went spam-crazy on everybody so he could get his 1,300 posts.

Well, you could definately reprogram one if you could get around the problem of a TI only having 2 link lines. You could probably "parallel-ize" the bits using some kind of high-speed shift register like a 74HC194 chip or even a PIC. Atmel Corp. specializes in In-System Programmable memory, which might be just what the doctor ordered. That way you could actually use your calculator as a field programmer/reprogrammer. Maybe even reprogram consumer products that already exist!

PICs I'm not certain about, but I've heard rumors that some 8051-family chips have built-in bootloaders that let you program the entire chip through just a 3-wire cable, with no other annoying equipment. Plus, that software is factory-installed, so it's always 'good to go.' An advanced PIC might also have this feature.

Anyway, an EEPROM/PIC programmer would be a neat alternative to the $100 or $200 programming boards. And these kinds of things always look good on the resume!
Raster

Posted: 09 Feb 2005 05:49:03 pm    Post subject:

I was thinking about using a 74HC164 8 bit parallel out serial shift ( 2 hooked together so I can have 12 bits explain later), and a 74HC165 serial out 8 bit parallel shift.

I want 12 bits so I can have 8 bit data to communicate between the EEPROM burner and the calculator, and the rest of the 4 bits the request bits from the calculator (ex. set address, set data, read, write).

It going to be based off of The Rich Files SPin Terface cartredge. (Well a few ideas from it.)

I was also thinking of an LCD Display to go along with it, to tell what Adress is being written, read, and so on. But I think Im going a little to far with that Very Happy .

Ill have some flow charts (or what ever they are called too show the logics of the design) posted soon.

PS: Im 15, so I dont know what everything is called. Laughing .
Raster

Posted: 09 Feb 2005 10:19:37 pm    Post subject:

I just had another idea. This could be the key to playing old gameboy games (the black and white ones) on a TI Calculator. Very Happy Neutral
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Feb 2005 10:37:59 pm    Post subject:

Oh yeah, heh I guess I forgot to ask wheter your EEPROM was serial or parallel. Laughing

Well, 74HC164 is an excellent choice. Plus, it's one of the only ICs Radio Shack still sells in every store.

Character LCD is just as doable. There is a very popular LCD standard called "Hitachi HD44780" that tells you how to send characters to the screen, move the cursor, make the cursor blink, and do all sorts of other things. You could add on to your calc burner using just 6 data lines (4 for data, 2 for commands). LCD number displays are a little less standardized, but also doable.

Anyway, it's cool you're doing this stuff a only 15. Most enginners I know don't attempt to do these things solo until well into college or grad school. Cool
Raster

Posted: 10 Feb 2005 12:33:37 am    Post subject:

Man thats funny, I just pulled out an LCD display out of a laser printer, that has a Hitachi HD44780A00 (japanies character map) controller not to resent I though about using that. What are the odds of that Razz . Well, I have school tomarrow (today Razz ), so I am going to think about how Im going to do this.

And about the serial EEPROMS, I have no clue how they work, I've heard of them though. Is there a good site to start out with that will teach me more about serial interfacing? (I have a basic understanding)

Last edited by Guest on 10 Feb 2005 12:34:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Feb 2005 04:33:41 am    Post subject:

Raster wrote:
I just had another idea.

That's great, but I'd like to ask you to it into your last post instead of doubleposting, thanks.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Feb 2005 05:51:45 pm    Post subject:

Basically, serial will use the same rules as parallel, but it will also receive flag bits from you, so it will know if you're sending a command, an address, or plain old data.

The serial rules vary from company to company, so if you had a particular chip size in mind, you could search Atmels site for App Notes. Most app notes include (very optimised) source code so that's always a plus too.
Raster

Posted: 22 Feb 2005 05:48:51 pm    Post subject:

I finaly have a schematic done, took a while, but its done.

And while I was making the schematic, I thought of many more posibilitys (some will be listed that I have already posted):

Old black and white GameBoy cartrage reader
(E)EPROM Burning (of course)
External Memory expantion, without PIC controller
Possible PIC Burning

I also have some specs of the EEPROM burner:
2-4 Mbit RAM memory
RAM to ROM data transfer
ROM to RAM data transfer
RAM to calc data transfer
clac to RAM data transfer
LCD interface (work in progress)

Well, finaly the schematics!!!
TI-EEPROM Burner page 1
TI-EEPROM Burner page 2
Not the best, If you have a problem with size or format, just tell me and I'll fix it.
If you find any problems in the schematic, again tell me.

Happy days Very Happy .

Last edited by Guest on 22 Feb 2005 05:49:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Feb 2005 08:25:24 pm    Post subject:

Looks pretty solid to me. I don't have the all component specs on me right now, but all the busses look about right. If you want Schematic/PCB software, you can get the lite edition of CADsoft EAGLE for free. It even does auto-routing for you! If all your parts aren't on Eagle already, you can probably download it at from the Eagle archives.
Raster

Posted: 28 Feb 2005 05:34:23 pm    Post subject:

Bad news, I got in troble from my parents, because I got an F in english Mad , so I will not be here for a week or two, I probably will be here tommarow to answer the last of the questions, but that will be it, so post as many questions as possible.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 28 Feb 2005 08:01:49 pm    Post subject:

Aw, man. That's bad. Well, if I got grounded a week for every time my engineering got in the way of school, I'd be serving a life sentence. Laughing Heh heh. A little humor there. Well, I hope your parents go easy on you. I'll give the EEPROM burner another look-over and hopefully help get it off the ground.
Raster

Posted: 01 Mar 2005 08:25:46 pm    Post subject:

Ok, I'm going to be out for only 5 days, so Ill seeya saturday or sunday Very Happy .
Raster

Posted: 14 Mar 2005 10:31:51 am    Post subject:

Yes, I have been out for the past 2 weeks, both from procrastinating, and lack of supplys I will not have my prototype done in a while. I just thoug I would give you an update of whats going on. (Hehe, Im on my school's computers, got passed the firewall Laughing )
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Mar 2005 11:55:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Hehe, Im on my school's computers, got passed the firewall)

Hopefully that'll be incentive to start visiting more often. :)

Man, keep doing what you're doing. The payoff at the end is far greater than the instant gratification of doing nothing at all. Cool Let's hear it for overachievers.
Raster

Posted: 17 Sep 2005 01:21:13 am    Post subject:

I have decided, that I will continue this project of mine. I have been bored lately, and I havent touched a soldering iron for a couple of months. So here is a good oppertunity for me to mess around. Now all I gota do is find those schematics again, that were in my closet Very Happy .

[EDIT]

I found the schematics, and they aint pretty :hmpf: .

Last edited by Guest on 17 Sep 2005 01:27:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement