This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. 68k Calculator Basic => TI-BASIC
EnerJen

Posted: 25 Jan 2005 01:45:47 am    Post subject:

1) How do you find the LCM of fractions using the lcm function?

lcm (15, 45) gives 45 but what about fractions?

I could do, for example lcm (5.2,7), which gives me 182, or lcm (5.1,7.2) which gives 612/5

But the problem if I type in decimal formats I can't cover the scope of all rational numbers, for example, 1/9

I tried typing in lcm ((xx/xx),(xx/xx)) but it doesn't work (xx just stands for a number of 2 digits. I could solve it by hand but using a calc would be more convinient.

2) How do you convert repeated decimals into fractions using the calc? I know on the TI-83 if you goto Math -----> Frac and you type in enough digits it will transform the decimal into a improper fraction.

Ex. .18181818181818..... <--- Convert this into a fraction

How do you do it on the 89?

Last edited by Guest on 25 Jan 2005 01:46:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 26 Jan 2005 01:15:48 am    Post subject:

1) Taken from the online manual (Appendix A, section L) at TI's site:

"Returns the least common multiple of the two arguments. The lcm of two fractions is the lcm of their numerators divided by the gcd of their denominators. The lcm of fractional floating-point numbers is their product."

As for your decimal problems, try converting to easy fractions or something. 5.1 could be 51/10 or something similar. I really don't understand what your problem is... Sorry.

2) Put your calculator into exact mode and enter the decimal into the command line. Press enter and it should be converted into a fraction.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Jan 2005 07:13:21 pm    Post subject:

2) Or you can do exact(number,tolerance)

Edit: could someone move this to the ti-basic topic please?

Last edited by Guest on 26 Jan 2005 07:14:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 27 Jan 2005 04:21:06 pm    Post subject:

Sir Robin wrote:
Edit: could someone move this to the ti-basic topic please?

Your wish is my command.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement