This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 20 Jan 2005 03:12:31 pm    Post subject:

I need to know if you can reformat a hard drive to clean out everything on your computer and not have the original or any windows 98 operating system disk that came with the computer to reinstall the os. My computer is so meesed up I need to find a way to just start everything over. If you have a program on your computer like Norton Antivirus can you save the files need to install it on a disk uninstall the program could you use the disk to reinstal the program with the disk you transfered the files to?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Jan 2005 03:36:27 pm    Post subject:

Newbie wrote:
I need to know if you can reformat a hard drive to clean out everything on your computer and not have the original or any windows 98 operating system disk that came with the computer to reinstall the os.

Sure you can reformat if you don't have the install cd anymore, why on earth would you need that to run format.exe?

Quote:
My computer is so meesed up I need to find a way to just start everything over.
Well, format will do that for you, and fdisk can do it even better if you also want to get rid of stuff on non-windows partitions.

Quote:
If you have a program on your computer like Norton Antivirus can you save the files need to install it on a disk uninstall the program could you use the disk to reinstal the program with the disk you transfered the files to?
Of course you can copy the files needed to install the program onto a disk, it's not like you can only run setup programs from your harddrive.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Jan 2005 06:53:34 pm    Post subject:

Reinstalling windows might help without losing too much data.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 27 Jan 2005 09:59:19 am    Post subject:

How do you go about reinstalling windows without the install disk?
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 27 Jan 2005 10:13:56 am    Post subject:

I have no clue. If that's your case, you're kinda screwed until you get a windows CD.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 27 Jan 2005 11:19:43 am    Post subject:

Newbie wrote:
How do you go about reinstalling windows without the install disk?

you can lend one from a friend. That always works
optimize

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 04 Feb 2005 08:44:51 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully you still have the product key?
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Mar 2005 02:48:32 am    Post subject:

Okay

Fdisk is for messing with partitions.

It simply plays around with the Master Boot Record on the Hard Disk and sets size limits, types, bootable flags...

Format is for eraseing or creating a file system in a partitiion.

The program is actually format.com for windows 9x

You can make a startup disk from somewhere in Add/Remove programs

Then run c:\>format c:

That sould erase everything and leave you with an empty filesysystem.

There is no reasn to run Fdisk again. It doesn't do better. It is for a different purpose. Unless you are changing your partition there is no need. Just start over in your origional partition.

If you are going to install NT/2000/XP ... a different File System, use diskpart or whatever your OS comes with to delete your current partition and create a different one.

The real difference here is the flag type. NTFS is 07h where as FAT32 is something else.

Now, you need your Product-Key and the Widnows CD

If your CD is an upgrade CD, you will need proof of having purchased a previous version of windows. Typically, it checks the hard drive for something (I don't know what) or asks you to insert a disk or CD as proof.

The Upgrade CD has all of Widnows 98 on it!

You can probabably skip the hastle above and boot off of the Widnows 98 CD. It with luck will then detect you have Widnows 98 installed and from there offer you the chance to do a clean install which means fomat and start over.

You should get a list of all drivers you will need and obtain them.

Write down any email information such as POP3/SMTP settings...

Get all your passwords together.

Save your Email, Favorites, My Documents, all Documents, any important Application Data, some Stuff from your Desktop ...

Get all of your programs together. You will need all the installation media.

You should get any Internet Settings, Passwords, Usernames perhaps phonenumers if you are unfortunate enough to be on dial up.

Proxy Settings...

Save everything you want to keep because you will loose everything when you start over.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement