This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Apostle

Posted: 05 Jan 2005 05:29:39 pm    Post subject:

I was writing code in BASIC on my computer (with the software that came with my calc), and so I wanted to test the connection before going too deep into the process. I used the function that allowed the computer to determine which port I was using, and proceeded to attempt to transfer. No dice, and so I come to you to ask: How does the USB transfer program data? Or is it not able to at all?
d4vz

Posted: 05 Jan 2005 06:05:51 pm    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure that TI-Graph Link isn't compatible with USB, however you can use TI-Connect or other transferring software to send the program to your calc.
Apostle

Posted: 06 Jan 2005 12:55:52 pm    Post subject:

I'll try the other one then; do you know where I can find the appropriate cables for the one I use now? I've tried Office Max, Circuit City, etc. but I can't find any.
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 06 Jan 2005 08:37:28 pm    Post subject:

The latest version of TI-Connect is compatable with the USB direct link (so i hear) so just go to education.ti.com and download it, should work. You'll just be writing the programs in GraphLink and sending them in TI-Connect. Laughing
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 06 Jan 2005 10:31:19 pm    Post subject:

actually, get TiLP. it is open source, supports all cables, all calculators, and is available on more operating systems than just windows. (TI COnnect uses .net which wont emulate on anything other than windows) not only that, but it is smaller i believe (havent checked for a fact).
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 07 Jan 2005 12:38:40 am    Post subject:

If you use Windows, get TI-Connect. If you use anything else, get TiLP Wink
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 13 Jan 2005 07:11:45 pm    Post subject:

If you are sane, screw TI-Connect, before it screws you. End of story. It screwed me, and I've been VERY happily using TiLP since.

Took a little while to get perfectly set up, though... Oh well, you must give up some to gain some.

Last edited by Guest on 13 Jan 2005 07:12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Jan 2005 04:19:26 pm    Post subject:

PLUS TiLP works with CSX. Not that it matters much now, it's not finished yet, but it's something.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Jan 2005 06:09:44 pm    Post subject:

I have problems finding the "GTK+ 2.x libraries (!!! new package !!!)" - the link redirects me to some other random site where I can't find them.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 28 Jan 2005 10:55:43 pm    Post subject:

yes, it does take some work to install TiLP... it's a royal pain, actually
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 29 Jan 2005 03:16:04 am    Post subject:

leofox wrote:
PLUS TiLP works with CSX. Not that it matters much now, it's not finished yet, but it's something.

Because I couldn't get it to work with Graph-Link :-)

To install TiLP, you need to get GTK+ 2 at least, but you also need glade:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...ckage_id=121281

Also note that for every single app that uses GTK+:

-You can see drop-down menus and dialog boxes render piece-by-piece unless your clock speed is, like, 400THz.
-Your taskbar will get completely annihilated since every window or message box is a parent window.

Frankly, GTK+ is the most worthless thing ever made, and everything made with it is crap*.

*And yes, this absolutely, totally, and unequivocally includes the GIMP. Pay for the won-ton soup and donuts for the programmers at Jasc if you can't afford Photoshop.

Last edited by Guest on 29 Jan 2005 03:16:35 am; edited 1 time in total
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 29 Jan 2005 04:24:54 am    Post subject:

GTK is actually an excellent environment which makes the Windows API look like garbage when used on its native platform (*nix).

Of course GTK doesn't work nearly half as good in Windows as it does in Linux.

Think of it like this, running GTK on Windows is like stuffing a Lamborghini engine thats missing a few parts (a valve here, a spark plug there, etc), into a Geo Metro Body frame, and wondering why it doesn't run as good as a real Lamborghini.

--AlienCC
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 29 Jan 2005 05:17:03 pm    Post subject:

Go Geo Metro! :lol:

Personally, I don't mind the whole taskbar thing... If you have a decent resolution, then double the size of your dang taskbar Smile GTK+ is the closest thing to Linux in Windows I can personally manage, so I use it Very Happy (no, I won't try Cygwin... Neutral )
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement