This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jan 2005 04:24:40 pm    Post subject:

Does anybody happen to know why curfed surfaces are hardly used anymore? (if at all)

Last edited by Guest on 02 Jan 2005 04:25:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
optimize

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 02 Jan 2005 07:56:38 pm    Post subject:

I'm guessing it's because curves use more processing power...?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jan 2005 08:07:52 pm    Post subject:

Well, a single one just might, but what sort of a game has only 1 surface? Pong has over 4. Overall they use far, far, less processesing power because even a single curfed surface would take hundreds of polygons to render at a somewhat similar detail.

I can remember them getting somewhat popular with the QuakeIII engine and all, but these days developers seem to prefer to waste half the processing power on rendering edgy breasts.
BarrenSoul

Posted: 07 Jan 2005 11:22:13 pm    Post subject:

??? have you seen some of the wire meshes for the new U3 engine? curved surfaces abound! but normal maps are used to represent the curve (havn't seen the low res renders just high res)

I can gaurentee I will know the answer within 2 years (going to college next year)

If you want I can post pictures of the models.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Jan 2005 06:59:14 am    Post subject:

The models use a lot of polygons, they just look curfed.

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/screens/EmbryWire.jpg
http://www.unrealtechnology.com/screens/ch...r_creation1.jpg
http://www.unrealtechnology.com/screens/ch...r_creation2.jpg

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/html/technology/ue30.shtml

The only possible occurence of curfed surfaces I see is the pavement at the bottom right of EmbryWire.jpg but to me it looks like regular polygons where used like the rest of that rendering.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&clien...btnG=Search&lr=

Last edited by Guest on 08 Jan 2005 07:03:27 am; edited 1 time in total
BarrenSoul

Posted: 08 Jan 2005 11:09:45 am    Post subject:

erm... try using curved not curfed :)

doom3's levels support them take a look

http://www.viavga.com/articleimages/de/light11.jpg

here's a tutorial on how to make them in the level editor

http://www.viavga.com/default.asp?PageID=138

I know who I'll ask, the man who made the build engine. (he's also making voxlap now )Voxlap

Last edited by Guest on 08 Jan 2005 11:27:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Jan 2005 12:20:45 pm    Post subject:

Doom3 makes sense, since it's also from ID software, but great new games like World of Warcraft either don't use them at all or don't use them for surfaces that should be curved.

Take Dawn of War for example, if it even supports brezier patches at all, it's certainly not used anywhere noticable like the character meshes where they would've been extremely usefull. (especially since they now have to use 3 different model detail settings to get a bit of a rounded, more natural, look, but it's still not close to how it would look with curved surfaces)

Same goes for World of Warcraft, America's Army, even the Half Life Source engine has edgy (high-polygon) character models with I don't know how many model detail settings to keep from using curved surfaces where they should be used.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Jan 2005 04:23:32 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
since it's also from ID software

Unreal® Tournament 2004 ©2004 Epic Games, Inc.

I remember Tim Sweeney, the creator of Epic Games and Unreal Tournament, back in some ZZT* chatrooms, before he went big-time. He may be rich, but he's no John Carmack. ;)

* Info

[EDIT]
Haha, google search for "curfed." :lol:

[EDITx2]
I just thought it was great that this thread made the top of that list so quickly. Wink
Quote:
also from

...suggesting that the previously mentioned game (UT) was also a product of ID Software.

Last edited by Guest on 08 Jan 2005 09:00:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
BarrenSoul

Posted: 08 Jan 2005 07:22:10 pm    Post subject:

> Why are curved surfaces not supported very often?

Supporting curved surfaces is lot of extra work! Here are the main problems with curved surfaces:
* No 3D accelerator supports them natively - so you must tesselate. Often, this is done at run-time.
* When editing a map, how do you ensure that the curves connect to the rest of the world without forming gaps? As an engine programmer, I don't know a good solution for this - other than to trust the map designer to get it right.
* You'll need to upgrade your collision code - this can be a lot of work!

It would be possible to render true curved surfaces in a software engine without the need for tesselation. If I did it, I would advantage of the SSE instruction set which comes with the Pentium III or above. It's a shame that nobody writes software engines anymore (except for me : )

there's your explanatin ^_^

Dawn of war dosn't use curved? meh I don't look that close :) but it's a shame since you could compare the in game models to the puter ones :) I have a few of the old obliterators and they look WAY cooler then the new ones. the new ones have more of a "fleshy" look like the ingame mine look like walking suits of patched armour :) (if you know about the storyline behinde oblits you would understand the reason mine look better)

Last edited by Guest on 08 Jan 2005 07:30:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Jan 2005 08:08:30 pm    Post subject:

Supergoose wrote:
Quote:
since it's also from ID software
Unreal® Tournament 2004 ©2004 Epic Games, Inc.

Quote:
Doom3 makes sense, since it's also from ID software
Doom 3 != Unreal Tournament 2004. Neutral

Quote:
[EDIT]
Haha, google search for "curfed." Laughing

Quote:
* No 3D accelerator supports them natively - so you must tesselate. Often, this is done at run-time.
Exactly, if they where more popular they would've been incorporated into the gfx accelerator hardware.

Quote:
* When editing a map, how do you ensure that the curves connect to the rest of the world without forming gaps? As an engine programmer, I don't know a good solution for this - other than to trust the map designer to get it right.
If they could do it 4 years ago, and quite well too, I'm sure they can either still do it or do it better now.
Quote:
* You'll need to upgrade your collision code - this can be a lot of work!
You don't need to upgrade if you incorporated brazier patches from the very start of development, of course you still need more advanced collision detection, but a) see above, and b} it could be integrated into (graphics) libraries (if it isn't already), could it not?

Quote:
It's a shame that nobody writes software engines anymore (except for me : )
*cough Java 2 Micro Edition cough*

Last edited by Guest on 08 Jan 2005 08:09:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
BarrenSoul

Posted: 08 Jan 2005 08:52:15 pm    Post subject:

I think he was reffering to the fact that alot of game companies licence engines now instead of make them.

Can you point a professionaly developed game made in J2ME by a big name company?

Last edited by Guest on 08 Jan 2005 09:32:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Jan 2005 12:15:15 pm    Post subject:

You're a big name company?
BarrenSoul

Posted: 09 Jan 2005 12:45:53 pm    Post subject:

the hell? no of course not I'm just curious because you *coughed* J2ME reffering to game engines so I was wondering if there was a big name company that had used it.
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Jan 2005 01:21:40 pm    Post subject:

Curfed Surfaces now exist!
Click
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Jan 2005 02:54:30 pm    Post subject:

brazucs16 wrote:
Curfed Surfaces now exist!
Click

wait, isn't curVed with a V?
BarrenSoul

Posted: 09 Jan 2005 03:57:32 pm    Post subject:

wanna know the creepy thing leofox? his google search for curfed surfaces about 3 days ago returned nothing but all of the sudden there are returns on it -_-' (and yes they actually mean curved or atleast they should since there is no english word "curfed")
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement