This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 03 Dec 2004 02:54:09 am    Post subject:

OK. If there are any Linux users, plz help. I need help in finding a good Linux distrubution that supports AMD64 (yes, i know all linux does, but i need to know one that's stable).

I would like to know which is best for newbs and etc.

Plz help. Thx in advance.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Dec 2004 12:02:45 pm    Post subject:

Mandrake 10.1, freeBSD, Red Hat, Suse.

Those are the best.
koolmansam375

Advanced Member

Posted: 03 Dec 2004 02:43:29 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
Mandrake 10.1, freeBSD, Red Hat, Suse.

Those are the best.

freeBSD isnt Linux.

Redhat is supported any more but you can still get RH9 of Linux iso. Otherwise you would want Fedora Core (which is developed by RH).

SUSE you have to pay for but you can get a free Live Evaluation CD which is exactly like how Knoppix works.

Im not really sure if you have to pay for Mandrake. It does need alot of CDs depending on which version of it you want (Discover, Power Pack, something else).

I would recommend Debian or Slackware.

Debian is a good distro (ive heard) for all around users and is GNU all the way however ive never tried it.

Slackware is for more advanced users so a n00b using it would have a steep learning curve but there are plenty of n00bs who have use Slack as their first distro.

And stay away from Gentoo until you are a lot more experienced seeing as that distro has you customize everything (unless you choose a stage 3 install) and if you dont know what your doing you could screw up your comp
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Dec 2004 08:06:44 pm    Post subject:

I was assuming he wasn't just looking with a "narrow" selection of "just linux", but more like unix based OS's, so I thought it might be nice to mention freeBSD.

And you don't have to pay for Mandrake, I'm using 10.1 myself, was 3cd's, but you don't need to use any cd's if you mount the iso's. I like it, I think it's about as user (newbie) friendly as a good linux distro can be, but it's still quite a lot more technical than Windows (XP), if ou have a knack for learning things you'll figure it out without needing any manuals or anything.

Last edited by Guest on 03 Dec 2004 08:07:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 03 Dec 2004 08:23:33 pm    Post subject:

If you are new to linux I recommend you pick one of the following and use that:
Mandrake, Easy to install, Easy to use, Wide variety of hardware support. Exceptional Admin tools.
Redhat, Easy to install, Easy to use, wide variety of hardware support.
FedoraCore, Same as redhat, but newer.
Suse, Easy to install, easy to use, good variety of hardware support.

If you've been using linux for a while then you probably understand more of how it works, or want to learn better then you should pick one of the following:
Debian, Hard to install unless you're an expert with your hardware, hard to initially configure, easy to maintain and upgrade.
Slackware, Much like Debian, however it lacks the superior apt-get tool for maintaining updates as far as I know.
Gentoo, Same concept as debian, except most users compile everything from source with this distribution so expect a week to install all of your packages.

Being a former linux admin, I understand quite well how linux works and despite what most linux Zealots* will tell you there is nothing wrong with using a gui tool to get the job done instead of editing cryptic text files.

--AlienCC
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 03 Dec 2004 08:45:28 pm    Post subject:

mandrake is 3 cd for free version, 4 for one of the paid ones.

get knoppix. it fits on 1 cd (700MB) and contains all the best preloaded software, including wine
its based off debian, but installs nicely and auto detects and configure all your hardware for you.
easy to maintain and upgrade via apt-get
it has a simple installer, etc. etc.
i have run both starcraft and photoshop 7 in wine with no problems what so ever.

whats nice is that it is a live cd, you can try it out without using your hardrive at all.

Last edited by Guest on 03 Dec 2004 08:48:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 04 Dec 2004 01:59:06 am    Post subject:

Thx, but i need links for this. I can't find it well enough as I kinda suck at that. I would like to try Linux in a great way. I hope its great.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 04 Dec 2004 05:02:02 am    Post subject:

Knoppix is nice for testing a machine at the computer store to see how well it might support linux, otherwise if you are really going to use linux get a real distribution that is going to run off something a ton faster then a cdrom.

I stand by my claims as to which to use, here are links to all.

Mandrake
Redhat
Fedora Core
Suse

Debian
Slackware
Gentoo

Do yourself a favor, go to all of those sites I linked, and make your own decision, if you don't like the first one you try, choose another one and test it out.

--AlienCC
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 04 Dec 2004 03:19:39 pm    Post subject:

Thx. But what are the core differences? I think I'll go with any of the first four distrubutions you mentioned AlienCC.

Besides the difference, do I really have to join the MandrakeLinux Club to download it and other Linux clubs to download their distru?

EDIT: What's the difference between i386 and etc.? Which one is compatible to my processor?

Last edited by Guest on 04 Dec 2004 03:27:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Dec 2004 04:18:52 pm    Post subject:

shadowing wrote:
Besides the difference, do I really have to join the MandrakeLinux Club to download it and other Linux clubs to download their distru?

No.

Quote:
EDIT: What's the difference between i386 and etc.?
Well, "i386" is a term used to describe the original Intel CPU architechture, the first CPU to use it was the "386", and "etc" is an abbriviation which stands for "etcetera" which is used in the English language in the same way as the words "and so on" or "and such."

Quote:
Which one is compatible to my processor?
They pretty much all are, like you've said yourself. What you want to go and check out is if they're not only compatible (generally all 32bit applications are) but also take advantage of the 64bit technology.

In order to do this you could try visiting such hard to find websites as www.mandrakelinux.com and reading the text that is on it, like the very first paragraph that'll show up right in the middle of the screen. Interesting pages on that site are "What is Mandrake Linux?", "Features", "Supported hardware", and "Documentation", which are hidden in the navigation menu of all places.

Oddly enough similar strategies can be deployed on the other distribution's websites.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Dec 2004 04:20:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
koolmansam375

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Dec 2004 04:45:17 pm    Post subject:

As Arcane Wizard said "i386" is for Intels. Also you may see "i586" or "i686", etc. those are for newer Intels (than the 386).

If you are using an AMD 64 you'd want the "amd_64" or "x86_64" version. You can clearly see this on the fedora linux download page
[quote name='"Fedora Core d/l page']For x86_64 (64-bit AMD64, EM64T)[/quote]

Slackware had an update tool (Swaret) but they got rid of it in 10.0

In fedora core the Up2Date thool sometimes has problems so some users use Yum or a version of apt-get. Fedora Core has a very easy install, detects all your hardware, and is almost fully configured when its finished installing. It hated my HD tho and refused to coincide with Windows. Also Fedora Core forces you to use GNOME (you can have it load KDE manually) but you cant set KDE as your default GUI.

This has been said a bunch of times by linux gurus and is good advice; "Try Knoppix first to get a feel for Linux then go on to a real distro"

There are also a bunch of Linux websites for help and such. Linuxquestions.org being the biggest.
shadowing