This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Jeffrey

Posted: 20 Nov 2004 11:27:49 am    Post subject:

I have a Win XP Home machine connected to a Win 98 machine through a crossover cable. Before re-installing Win XP, the network worked perfectly. Now, not so well.

I am using the Win XP as the gateway, and using a shared internet connection with the Win 98. Oddly, I can ping both computers from the other, can use the shared internet, and can browse the Win 98 computer from the XP. I can see the XP computer from the 98, but when I attempt to explore it, I get one of the following messages:

1) You must supply a password to make this connection: Resource: \\XP\$IPC
or
2) You do not have permission to access resource.

I have the guest account activated on the XP machine, and both comps have the same user names/passwords.

What's up?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Nov 2004 11:47:09 am    Post subject:

Turn of Windows XP's firewall, or any other firewalls you may have on that machine.

If it works then, configure the firewall to allow sharing of files over the LAN.

Last edited by Guest on 20 Nov 2004 11:47:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Jeffrey

Posted: 20 Nov 2004 09:09:47 pm    Post subject:

Forgot to mention, no firewall enabled.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Nov 2004 04:08:56 am    Post subject:

Is the XP machine sharing anything?
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Nov 2004 04:22:43 am    Post subject:

Try this:
Turn off the Simple File Sharing then Add everyone with full controll to both the shared permissions and the resource permissions.

That should do it. Since you can see each other, that means DNS / NetBIOS is working as is TCP.

Your best bet is to check the share level permissions. It would also help if you had XP Pro cuz home sucks for sharing.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement