This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Nov 2004 04:50:01 pm    Post subject:

Unlike the picture above, my computer's highest resolution does not go any higher. I've tried deleting the Dell E551a and when I set the resolution to 1280x1024 (what I need), all the lights in my monitor blink ceselessly (well, for 8 seconds) then the screen goes back to the old resolution. There are no updates for either my video card nor my monitor on Dell or ATI.

I was wondering if there are any programs that can change the resolution of your computer. All the ones I've downloaded now can't go beyond 1024x768, but I need one that can go to 1280x1024, however small that may appear.

Anyone have any ideas? And by the way, what determines the screen's resolution anyways? Is it the driver, monitor or both?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Nov 2004 05:15:11 pm    Post subject:

Won't work if your videocard or monitor doesn't support it, if they do the correct drivers should give you all the correct options in the display properties window.

It's mostly determined by (video)memory availability on the possible option side of it, but if you select a resolution your monitor doesn't support you either get no signal, a distorted screen, or it'll reset to the last working resolution.

But if you want to know yourself out by trying anyway..

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/12/1/index.shtml

I haven't checked, but if HzTool isn't in that list, google it, I've used it to optimize my horizontal refresh rate and it works very well, won't make your hardware suddenly support higher resolutions, but it's a good program for resolution/refresh rate settings.
optimize

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 11 Nov 2004 05:16:10 pm    Post subject:

To start, this should be in the Computer Tech Section

Secondly, your video card may be sending too high of a freqency (hertz) to your monitor. Before changing the resolution goto Advanced > Adapter. Then choose the lowest hertage possible. (You should notice a "flicker" to your monitor) Bump up the hertage as slowly as possible while in the resolution you desire, if it fails choose the highest possible setting.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Nov 2004 05:18:27 pm    Post subject:

If you change the resolution it automatically selects a compatible horizontal refresh rate, depending on your advanced settings (probably set to default, 60hz, so it'll go for that even when higher rates are supported) if the resolution is supported at all.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Nov 2004 05:18:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
optimize

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 11 Nov 2004 05:25:35 pm    Post subject:

Not true. Some programs/drivers edit a registry key so it chooses the maximum possible refresh rate as default.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Nov 2004 05:28:46 pm    Post subject:

true, "depending on your advanced settings"

Quote:
read Audio pronunciation of "reading" ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (rd)
v. read, (rd) read·ing, reads
v. tr.

1. To examine and grasp the meaning of (written or printed characters, words, or sentences).
2. To utter or render aloud (written or printed material): read poems to the students.
3. To have the ability to examine and grasp the meaning of (written or printed material in a given language or notation): reads Chinese; reads music.
      1. To examine and grasp the meaning of (language in a form other than written or printed characters, words, or sentences): reading Braille; reading sign language.
      2. To examine and grasp the meaning of (a graphic representation): reading a map.
      1. To discern and interpret the nature or significance of through close examination or sensitive observation: The tracker read the trail for signs of game.
      2. To discern or anticipate through examination or observation; descry: “I can read abandonment in a broken door or shattered window” (William H. Gass).
6. To determine the intent or mood of: can read your mind like a book; a hard person to read.
      1. To attribute a certain interpretation or meaning to: read her words differently than I did.
      2. To consider (something written or printed) as having a particular meaning or significance: read the novel as a parable.
8. To foretell or predict (the future).
9. To receive or comprehend (a radio message, for example): I read you loud and clear.
  10. To study or make a study of: read history as an undergraduate.
  11. To learn or get knowledge of from something written or printed: read that interest rates would continue to rise.
  12. To proofread.
  13. To have or use as a preferred reading in a particular passage: For change read charge.
  14. To indicate, register, or show: The dial reads 32°.
  15. Computer Science. To obtain (data) from a storage medium, such as a magnetic disk.
  16. Genetics. To decode or translate a sequence of messenger RNA into an amino acid sequence in a polypeptide chain.

Please, try it some time, it will keep you from making yourself look like an a who didn't read.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Nov 2004 05:30:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brazucs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Nov 2004 05:28:59 pm    Post subject:

It's set at 60Hz, and doesn't go any higher.
I got the other resolutions to show up, but it still blinks when you try to set them.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Nov 2004 05:31:44 pm    Post subject:

brazucs16 wrote:
It's set at 60Hz, and doesn't go any higher.

Use Hz Tool or any other horizontal refresh rate tool, like I said. EDIT: but don't blame me when your monitor blows up.

Quote:
I got the other resolutions to show up, but it still blinks when you try to set them.
What monitor do you have? It is likely that higher resolutions simply aren't supported.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Nov 2004 05:33:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brazucs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Nov 2004 05:33:09 pm    Post subject:

Dell E551a, like I said.
I'll try to use that Hz Tool.

Quote:
Note that all graphics cards and drivers do not allow you to change the refreshrate or use unusual resolutions. The program gives you freedom to set whatever refreshrates and resolutions you want, but you have to make sure that both the graphics card and your monitor can handle it. Use precaution!

Eek, that's scary. What can happen if I force it too much?

Last edited by Guest on 11 Nov 2004 05:35:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
optimize

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 11 Nov 2004 05:36:42 pm    Post subject:

Monitor Driver

Quote:
Eek, that's scary. What can happen if I force it too much?

You would probably blow the bulb I would assume.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: It says on the Dell web site your monitor's max res is 1024x768...

Last edited by Guest on 11 Nov 2004 05:39:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Nov 2004 05:38:52 pm    Post subject:

The Dell E551a is an old 15" monitor that only supports resolutions up to 1024*768. I'd suggest to try to get your refresh rate as high as you can and leave the resolution, if you don't want to kill your eyes.

Note: graphics cards can generally support pretty much any refresh rate, monitors are what really limits it, but it's not that risky (take steps!) since most check the signal before displaying it so you'll probably get bad signal messages, resets to previous refresh rates, and what not instead of blowing up your monitor.

I'd advice something like 80-100 hz, shouldn't blow up your monitor (had it work on an even older, 14" monitor) and is good enough for your eyes by todays standards.

Also, I wouldn't use resolutions above 1024*768 on 15" monitors anyway, except maybe in games that don't have any small text anywhere, it's just not good on your eyes.

EDIT: editing something into your post that was posted after you makes you look cool.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Nov 2004 05:45:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brazucs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Nov 2004 05:48:47 pm    Post subject:

Old? It's from about 1999... is 5 years that old?
optimize

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 11 Nov 2004 06:44:44 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Computer standards today show thats dang old. But hey, I still use a Pentium MMX and it works for me. Depends on who you ask I guess.
Brazucs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Nov 2004 06:48:32 pm    Post subject:

a... well, I'm getting two new monitors soon, so maybe they are better.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Nov 2004 06:35:46 am    Post subject:

brazucs16 wrote:

Yes.

Quote:
But hey, I still use a Pentium MMX and it works for me.
~All modern pentium's have MMX.
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 12 Nov 2004 07:13:43 am    Post subject:

That's rather odd, I have a 1999 moniter that seems to handle 1280x1024 just fine Confused
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Nov 2004 08:08:27 am    Post subject:

And what's odd about that? They still make monitors with max resolutions of 1024*768 you know.
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 12 Nov 2004 08:30:23 am    Post subject:

Maybe the fact that it was also a very low-end computer (total piece now Laughing) when I bought it?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Nov 2004 10:50:58 am    Post subject:

That's not odd at all, 1024*768 wasn't a very high resolution back then either.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Nov 2004 12:07:53 pm    Post subject:

brazucs16 wrote:

it's not that old for a screen, i'm currently working on 1995 screen, which can handle resolutions up to 1920x1200 and 100 Hz. This screen was OMG expensive back then though.

I think your screen is just really cheap. But why would you want a higher resolution than 1024x768 on a 15" screen?

Last edited by Guest on 12 Nov 2004 12:08:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement