This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 27 Oct 2004 10:26:42 am    Post subject:

Ok here is my idea: unless I get a huge rush at school near the end of december, I think this game will be huge. REALLY REALLY REALLY HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I even think it will be broken into chapters like FFTOM. I thinked about a new concept I used when drawing my First AD&D-like comic strip in secondary 3 back in 2001. However, the story will have nothing to do with it. It will be based on the 4 elements.

In the first part of the game there will be 4 doors: Earth, Wind, Water and Fire. The king of the castle will talk to you about an hidden door hidden in the castle. In order to make it visible you will have to bring the spirit of 8 warriors that once existed to save the world. When you enter a door you come back in the past and you must find them. There is 2 warriors per door. In order to exit a door you need to finish this adventure. When you finish an adventure with those character their spirits appear in the castle. Once all the 8 spirits are in the castle the secret door appear in the castle. When you enter it you cannot come back and you come into a new world, at the same era than the one where the heroes used to live.

Playing RL4ever will be like playing 5 reign of Legends. If things go right each adventure should have between 10 and 15 hours of gameplay, meaning a total of 50 to 75 hours of gameplay!!!!!!!!

Here is the story

The Prophecy came true
The world destiny is now revelaed
Nobody lives anymore
Nothing exists
This is the end of time
Everything is imagination
Only 8 spirits remains
Spirits of legendary warriors
Living in a world that once existed
Waiting for the chosen
Waiting to save the world

I started working on the menu and text routines. So far I couldn't get able to mod the OSR routine I made in RL3 but it's slightly faster. Also in RL4ever you can change the windows skin. There is 12 in total and you can change it so that it look like RL1, RL2, Dying Eyes, Final Fantasy 1.198, Joltima, Desolate (with no grayscale of course), ARPGs, 3D menu in Texas Instruments useless APPs, whatever!. However since it's slow, this option will not be avaliable on the regular 83+ version.

Unlike RL2, RL3 and Consoles RPGs, you will not see your stats upon entering the menu. Like in TVF, FF, Dying Eyes and Joltima, a small box will appear with options and to view your stats you will have to go in the stat menu.

I have done some optimizations in the map engine because I added more features so now it still run at the same speed. I also added map ID so it takes only 4 second to find and store a new map set when you go outside of the current map set or enter buildings. Now on my TI-83+SE I can walk between 7 and 8 steps per seconds.

Here is the screenshots:

Walking engine:

Battle concept

I haven't decided yet which title screen I will use:

Last edited by Guest on 27 Oct 2004 10:27:41 am; edited 1 time in total
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 01 Nov 2004 01:09:30 pm    Post subject:

Well, it seems that nobody cares about my games (same thing for almost every projects here), but here is a new screenshot anyway just in case anyone care:

Last edited by Guest on 01 Nov 2004 01:09:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Nov 2004 02:31:46 pm    Post subject:

Kevin wrote:
I haven't decided yet which title screen I will use:

I would seperate the "4 ever" more from the rest of the title, now it says "reign of 4 ever legends."

Comments on in-game graphics design:

What's a

FFFFF
LLALL

?

Why does the player's character look like a 9 feet tall person with decapacated legs and arms who manages to move using some form of teleportation magic? And why is he constantly looking up when you mvoe left or right?

Why does a geek look like the ohm sign? Is he doing some kind of strange yoga excercise?

Why is the country filled with 6 feet tall lolli-pops?

Why are there little inverted mountains (v's) all over the place?

What are the :'s?

Quote:
I thinked about a new concept I used when drawing my First AD&D-like comic strip in secondary 3 back in 2001. However, the story will have nothing to do with it. It will be based on the 4 elements.
I'd also like to note that the use of the words "the 4 elements" to describe "a new concept" make the very essense of logic go "POOP, BLEWDYBLERGH"

In other words, trust me, if it's got something to do with the 4 elements then it's been done before, about 10,000 times even.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Nov 2004 02:41:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 01 Nov 2004 04:12:39 pm    Post subject:

so I just have to cancel the whole project or leave UTI forever and go to MC and EPS instead.

EDIT: By the way before someone ask the question:

MC mean MaxCoderz and EPS mean Epic Programming Studio (Dysfunction Programming)

Last edited by Guest on 01 Nov 2004 04:15:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Nov 2004 04:59:46 pm    Post subject:

Are you saying that because of Arcane's post or because nobody else posted?

Personally, I think the new screenshot looks cool. Maybe you could include either in readme or on-calc a list of what all the characters are? Like this:
FFFFF
LLLAL -> House/shop ?
<omega> -> Other NPCs

I think it would help being able to tell what is just scenery and what is important, because without "real" sprites it's harder to tell.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Nov 2004 05:50:11 pm    Post subject:

Kevin wrote:
so I just have to cancel the whole project or leave UTI forever and go to MC and EPS instead.

Just because the idea's been used before doesn't mean it's a bad one. In fact, you can benefit from other people's attempts, improve on them, and when an idea has been used by many it's probably a good one (or at least it'll douse the players with repeated "cool" rpg elements that have more to do with japanese adventure games people like to call rpgs than actual rpgs but whatever).
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 01 Nov 2004 05:54:10 pm    Post subject:

Well, I think Arcane said it wasn't really a "new-concept" because I forgot to post about the materia system (and the list of materia). Later in the readme I will put a screenshot that explain how to enter houses and explain what ASCII characters means.

What I meant by new concept is that it's different from ROL1, ROL2 and ROL3.

EDIT: this is a cross post

Last edited by Guest on 01 Nov 2004 05:55:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Nov 2004 05:57:08 pm    Post subject:

Why did you make it text based?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Nov 2004 06:01:22 pm    Post subject:

Kevin wrote:
the materia system

leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Nov 2004 07:40:19 am    Post subject:

Sir Robin wrote:

ever tried making a fast graphical RPG in basic?

Quote:
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Nov 2004 07:57:40 am    Post subject:

leofox wrote:
Sir Robin wrote:
I never ran into any speed problems due to graphics use in my RPGs.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Guest on 02 Nov 2004 07:59:44 am; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Nov 2004 08:03:27 am    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
leofox wrote:
Sir Robin wrote:

Well, i do. They're slooooowwww. That's why i'm making my RPG assembly Very Happy

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Laughing
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Nov 2004 08:17:08 am    Post subject:

leofox wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Laughing

... Neutral

what was with the " Neutral " ?
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Nov 2004 08:33:44 am    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
leofox wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Laughing

... Neutral

what was with the " Neutral " ?

i thought it was weird that you posted just to say 'post'
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Nov 2004 08:41:31 am    Post subject:

Finding something peculiar can be expressed by posting something like " Confused "
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 02 Nov 2004 03:16:23 pm    Post subject:

leofox wrote:
Arcane Wizard wrote:
leofox wrote:
Sir Robin wrote:

Well, i do. They're slooooowwww. That's why i'm making my RPG assembly Very Happy

I wanted to mix some element from the past games with the news. Also ROL3 was incredibly slow (altough it got featured at ticalc.org). In RL3 I chosen graphics over gameplay/feature, but now I choose gameplay/features over graphics (I still can't understand why people play game ONLY for graphics.)

I don't want to program ASM because i could not invest as much amount of time on my games like in BASIC. In BASIC I can program at school and in the bus. In ASM I have to stuck on my computer, compile, test in VTI, debug then test on calc. Also talking about my computer, It's fixed but it became so stupid that it won't shut down by himself after I click on the stop button Wacko . So I'm waiting and stick with BASIC.

I don't use graphics (except for monsters and animations) because I want to make it as fast as possible and the strings allow me to display map in less than one second on the home screen.

#################################

Here is some ideas for the materias that will be in RL4ever. For memory reasons and for difficulty balance, you will only be able to equip 6 materias per characters. For those who don't know what is materia, it's a kind of item you equip to someone in Final Fantasy VII to allow, for example, him to use magic, summons or steal from enemies, raise HP/Strenght/defense depending of which one you equip. Since the word materia is used by squaresoft I will use the good old Artifact word from The Reign of Legends 1 and I don't like the word materia wery much. There is no weapon and armor in the Reign of Legends (again, for memory reasons). Here is the list of stuff that could be in the game:

Materia and orb list updated on October 21 2004

MATERIAS
Flee: escape from non-boss fight (doesn't work all the time)
Spy: view monsters/bosses LV, HP, Exp and GP
Steal: Steal orbs from monsters
Charge: sacrify HP to attack all enemies
RedOrb: Allow user to use Red orbs
SkyOrb: Allow user to use Sky orbs
Reborn: Bring everyone back to life
Money: Throw GP to attack all enemies
Spirit: Allow user to summon Spirits
HP Up: Raise character HP
Str Up: Raise Character strength
Def Up: Raise character defense
Spd up: Raise character speed
Poison: Physical attack can poison the enemy
Sleep: Phisical attack can put the enemy to sleep until he get attacked again
Absorb: Physical attack drain HP from monster
Kill: Physical attack can instantly kill the monster
Pimper: Physical attacks can change monster into a
Pyro: Requires 3 Flame orb to cast
Engel: Requires 3 Aura orb to cast
Bubu: Requires 1 Sick, 1 Fable and 1 a orb to cast
Thor: Requires 3 Blitz orb to cast
Gemina: Requires 3 saint orbs to cast
Heroes: Requires 1 quasar, 1 solar and 1 meteor to cast
Daemon: Requires 3 evil to cast
4ever: Requires 3 omega to cast

RED ORBS
Flame
Frost
Blitz
Quake
Quasar
Solar
Meteor
Omega
Psycho (absorb HP)
Sick: Poison a monster
a: Reduce physical attack damage to 1.
Evil: Instantly kill one monster

SKY ORBS
Vital
Heal (cures poison)
Saint
Cure
Fresh (cure poison, sleep and a)
Grow (cure a)
Life (guess what!)
Aura
Neo (same as life)
Return (auto-life when dead!)
Vanish: Escape non-boss fights (100% success)
Fable: Put a monster to sleep

There may still be some changes for that.

I double posted because the EDIT button wasn't working (error 404) --Fixed by arcane

Last edited by Guest on 05 Nov 2004 01:06:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Nov 2004 03:31:52 pm    Post subject:

Kevin wrote:
For those who don't know what is materia, it's a kind of item you equip to someone in Final Fantasy VII to allow, for example, him to use magic, summons or steal from enemies, raise HP/Strenght/defense depending of which one you equip.

*opens mouth*

*closes mouth*

*sighs*

*shrugs*

*walks away*

Last edited by Guest on 02 Nov 2004 03:33:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 02 Nov 2004 03:36:03 pm    Post subject:

Yes. There is really people who don't even know how to use them. Very Happy And could you merge my double post with the other post because the Edit button isn't qworking fine...
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement