This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Blah

Posted: 22 Oct 2004 10:01:46 pm    Post subject:

My idiot friend in my Biology class dropped the calculator while swinging between two desks. The calculator seemed to be destroyed. I hit the back of my screen a few times, and it began working. Any sensitive tap easily put it back in to this condition. Apparently, everything is working, but the screen does not clear correctly and makes blocky figures/lines. It can still do everything else [Mirage actually just turns off the calculator, and I have to pull out the batteries to get it back on.], I just can't read it. Well, anyways, continuing my story. It kept going back into the unreadable state, and I eventually just gave up, as now it won't fix any more like it did for a day or two. What can I do? I have had this calculator for years, so there is no more warranty. I programmed some games for mirage, and I do not want to do them again. I _certainly_ do not want to buy another calculator.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Oct 2004 03:53:17 am    Post subject:

well, your idiot 'friend' dropped it, so sue him so he'll buy a new calc Razz
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Oct 2004 04:06:47 am    Post subject:

Sounds like something broke, I'd open it up, check what's broken, attempt to fix it, fail, and leave it in the trashcan since I don't need one, but that's just me.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Oct 2004 09:59:39 am    Post subject:

tighten all the bolts screws etcuh... who knows maybe it will help.

After that...

Asm in 28 days wrote:
Get the reciept and take the calculator back to the store. If they refuse to exchange, make the best of a bad situation and get a TI-86 or 89 this time. Oh, and instead of just throwing the thing away, position it on the sidewalk, and have it and a baseball bat repeatedly attempt to occupy the same co-ordinates in space-time. The spritzing LCD oil does wonders for that ancient bloodlust.
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 23 Oct 2004 12:05:43 pm    Post subject:

Your idiot friend dropped it and it broke... thus, either desks in your biology class are really high up, or it was a defective calculator. I've had mine three years, dropped it a lot of times(at least weekly), and it just recently began having problems like that. And I generally have time to whack it a few times to turn it on. It's not the end of the world.

That said, try to get them to replace it for free.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 23 Oct 2004 12:20:44 pm    Post subject:

can it still send things? If you can remember the order of your programs in the send menu, you could transfer them to another calculator. Either that or try to do a backup. And if your friend broke it and now it's useless, he should get you a new one. If you don't want to destroy the old one, try taking it apart. It's actually kind of fun.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Oct 2004 04:38:22 pm    Post subject:

I'm leaning with leofox and alexrudd here. Your calculator is obviously unuseable and regardless wheter repairs can be made, your 'friend' should reimburse you for the cost of an identical calc. Buying another out of pocket shouldn't even be an option. If this guy were a true friend, he should've already written a check out to you instead of waiting for it all to blow over. I wouldn't pry your calc apart just yet. See if he's willing to pay first, and if not I'd get the parent involved.
Fixen

Posted: 20 Nov 2004 06:29:20 pm    Post subject:

Hey. It's your friend's fault. If he doesn't give you the money yet, it's okay, cause he's an idiot. Now go call his parents and get your money. It's not your fault it broke. (unless you unscrewed it)
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 23 Nov 2004 07:17:04 pm    Post subject:

given what we've been told it's no more his fault than yours. Simply dropping it should have no effect. Either TI made a defective calculator, or it was dropped quite a bit previously and he was just the one unlucky enough to get the last drop in.
Ray Kremer

Posted: 24 Nov 2004 02:14:55 pm    Post subject:

Anectdotal evidence suggests that TI calculator are one of those things that are normally quite durable but break when they are dropped and land just right, like right on the corner.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Nov 2004 09:56:13 pm    Post subject:

It was no defect. If this free-wheeling friend is going swinging from desk to desk, like some jungle freak, you can bet something's going to break sooner or later. And it won't matter whether it's a high-tech calculator or an old-school slide rule.

I don't know if Blah ever had intentions of having it repaired by now (it has been a over month now, after all), but I'd open up the case and check for cracked parts--starting with the lcd. Most of the time though, if something like this is dropped, the internal damage is too small to spot and you're probably better off getting a replacement.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Nov 2004 11:55:56 pm    Post subject:

its scary, because i drop both my calculators almost daily 4 ft (jacket pocket to tile floor) yet niether is worse for wear.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 Nov 2004 10:24:46 pm    Post subject:

Darth Android wrote:
its scary, because i drop both my calculators almost daily 4 ft (jacket pocket to tile floor) yet niether is worse for wear.

Perhaps it's because the jacket cushions the fall?

If not, I want to know where you got those, even though I don't drop mine much,
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 Nov 2004 11:01:23 pm    Post subject:

no, i carry each in a jacket pocket, and when i bend over to grab my back pacl or something they usually fall out.

83+: circuit city i believe, $70, had it for 2 years
84+se: unknown, unknown ($130?), 3 months

both works fine, only way you'd know they weren't brand new was the scratches on the case of the 83+ (standard wear and tear)
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 30 Nov 2004 11:09:39 pm    Post subject:

you can't just blame him, it was mostlikely an accident(???) any ways connect it to the computer and then dl all the files, you don't need a screen to see what files u have using the comp.
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 30 Nov 2004 11:26:49 pm    Post subject:

There's always 1-800-TI-CARES if you're really desperate. As for your programs, if it can still transmit stuff through the link port you might want to try doing a backup using TI Connect or something similar.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Dec 2004 01:07:17 am    Post subject:

yeah, the device explorer will list the programs on the computer, just click one on the list and drag it to your desktop
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement