This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Sonic => Your Projects
United-TI Archives -> Sonic

» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 36, 37, 38  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madskillz

Posted: 14 Nov 2004 05:32:40 pm    Post subject:

I know somebody that made some awesome sonic graphics...in b&w, so we could certainly use those! Very Happy

Last edited by Guest on 14 Nov 2004 05:39:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 15 Nov 2004 09:17:52 pm    Post subject:

Dang... The source code is very different. But I can make sense of it. It's very scattered as mentioned before. But Thats Not Going To Deter Me From Doing This!!! If anyone out there wants to help, plz contribute.
Madskillz

Posted: 15 Nov 2004 10:19:56 pm    Post subject:

ha ha ha...
Quote:
Dang... The source code is very different.
Coulda told you that man...I have yet to look at it...but I don't know if it would be smarter to start from scratch or try and port this....Starting from scratch almost seems easier. Wink
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 15 Nov 2004 10:35:09 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, you're right there. Though I want to use the sprites... I think i'm more used to making a 8X8 movement engine then free movement. Though I will try. Besides madskillz, is there anyone else to help?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Nov 2004 11:36:09 pm    Post subject:

I've gotta agree with Madskillz on this one. Starting from scratch definately seems to be the winning strategy here. If any porting is to be done, I'd suggest only going as far as porting the game's structure in general. For example, if the 89 source has a routine called "Speed Up," make an almost-identical one called 'speed up.' If they list a routine called "platform," copy that too (actually both of these are real routines). Just be sure to give them credit.

The file "sma.asm" is thier main program, so I'd start there. Read it over, find out what each "include" file does, check out those files, etc. 'Generally get a feel for what does what.
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 15 Nov 2004 11:43:38 pm    Post subject:

Okay. I looked at it. HOLY MOLY!!! The structure of the 89 asm is hard to understand. I understand some part of it, but I see no reason to put in the anti crash part. Well, I guess we should start from scratch. Because of the probable limitations of ram, I think we should have a lot of optimization and only one level. Until we can make sure it would run fast enough, I think only one level should be implemented.

Now onto the real matter... Should it be greyscale, or not? And who wants to help?

EDIT: Sorry if it didn't make sense this post.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Nov 2004 01:09:29 am    Post subject:

Hmmm. I just realized that sma. is an anagram of .asm. :: Hysterical laughter :: *Cough* * cough* Ahem! Excuse me.

Personally, Sonics 1, 2, 3, and CD happen to be some of my favorite games of all time, so I'd like to help out wherever I can. About the greyscale: I say go for it; but only after the graphix engine is ready. That'll give you an oppourtunity to tell if the greyscale can be flickerless or not. I'd maybe leave out the parallax scrolling unless it's conveinent.
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 16 Nov 2004 01:12:13 am    Post subject:

Cool. I guess so. Well, DigiTan, let me know if you wish to help. I think you would be a fine addition. I can't do this alone. So ppl out there interested, plz post to help.

Well, time to get started on the title and engine.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Nov 2004 05:44:01 am    Post subject:

shadowing wrote:
Now onto the real matter... Should it be greyscale, or not?

I think it shouldn't be greyscale. It's difficult to make a fast Sonic WITHOUT greyscale, let alone WITH greyscale. Remember that greyscale games are about 10 times slower than B&W games.

just my €0,02.
Madskillz

Posted: 16 Nov 2004 10:44:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I think it shouldn't be greyscale. It's difficult to make a fast Sonic WITHOUT greyscale, let alone WITH greyscale. Remember that greyscale games are about 10 times slower than B&W games.

-Very well said! Laughing I too, believe greyscale would not be good for this project! It would be way to slow for a game that great speed is involved in! Lets stick with B&W for now...and then if we thank it is doable, without a great loss of speed, move up to greyscale!

Ok...what about the sprite sizes of Sonic? I think 16x16 is adequate...8x8 too small, and 32x32 possible...I have gotten the pictures of the b&w Sonic, just gotta convert them to .gst files, than I'll post them. Porbably tomorrow. Mike_K, whom the graphics were made by, also included a titlescreen, the stage screen, and a sample of a level...which I'll turn each 8x8 pixels into tiles...ok, well onto tomorrow! Smile
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 16 Nov 2004 10:46:44 pm    Post subject:

cool... Well, i think 16X16 is enough. Well... is James even around?

EDIT: So far on staff...

Mike_K
madskillz
???

Last edited by Guest on 16 Nov 2004 10:47:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Nov 2004 12:43:53 am    Post subject:

16 x 16 is a good size. Whether or not the Sonic sprite will be greyscale is probably another matter; personally I think it would be easier to make a 'good' greyscale Sonic than a mono one. You might be able to get enough detail to get the size down to ?? x 8 (eight wide).

There's also a matter of prog size. Your typical Sonic level was x2 the size of a Mario one. And the Sonic 3 levels were x3 larger than that! You'll probably have to compress the levels down somehow.
shadowing