C++
This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
C++
ducttape_87

Posted: 04 Jul 2003 11:20:33 pm    Post subject:

I would like to learn C++ to make games. What is the best way to go about learning it? Classes, books, net tutorials...?
I am familiar with TI-BASIC and HTML among other things.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Jul 2003 03:17:08 am    Post subject:

Well, unless you really like text games C++ isn't all you want to learn. With C++ only you can make text based console (DOS) games. So after you have learnt C++ you will want to learn a graphics API, something that enables you to create the games you want. I suggest Win32 since it is the easyest to learn. You can also learn OpenGL or DirectX or some other, less known (and less used since Win32 + DirectX/OpeGL can do anything), API's. With Win32 you can program games from space invaders and pong to Warcraft 2 and Diablo I. With OpenGL and DiredctX you can start using 3D graphics, the main difference between DirectX and OpenGL is that OpenGL can also be used on Linux and Mac and requires OpenGL drivers (often provided with your normal videocard drivers) and DirectX needs DirectX to be installed, which can only be done on Windows I think. Dungeon Siege is a good example of a DirectX game. I think Unreal Tournament uses OpenGL but I'm not sure.

Anyway, when you want to learn a programming language best thing you can do is buy books and read them. But since books costs money (and not just a little bit too) you'll want to start out with tutorials from the internet. This is the best C++ tutorial I have seen so far and it teaches you all you need to know of C++.

When it comes to Win32 programming, I have never been able to find a decent tutorial on that so I bought a book, called 'Sam's teach yourself games programming in 24 hours'. This is a book I really think you should erad when you want to learn Win32 to program games, see this thread for more information on it.

As for DirectX and OpenGL, you'll probably want to buy books for those too since they're pretty advanced. There are some decent DirectX and OpenGL tutorials out there though.
Neostar

Posted: 05 Jul 2003 09:24:24 am    Post subject:

thanks... Its gonna take a while for me to learn all of these. I'm currentl;y learning ASM as well using the ASM in 28 days tutorial. Until I completely understand that. I think I'll stick to VB... but when I'm done learning ASM i'm gonna try and learn C++, Win32, and probably OpenGL...
ducttape_87

Posted: 05 Jul 2003 04:38:40 pm    Post subject:

thanks. I was going to buy a book a while back but they are all at the very least like 50 bucks, I would rather just buy a game for that price. I hope I can learn from the tutorial.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 06 Jul 2003 10:29:41 pm    Post subject:

Tutorials are good, but books are great.

Check out your local public library.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 07 Jul 2003 07:38:27 am    Post subject:

Yeah librarys are ok, but they usually dont have the exact thing I need, they mostly have a lot of general computer books, and few programming. Or at least at my library its this way Sad I like opengl, its kind of wierd though. Nehe's site is really cool, do a google for "opengl tutorials" Look through some of the contests on bottom left.
Job the GameQuitter

Posted: 08 Jul 2003 07:06:15 pm    Post subject:

The last library I checked only had a book on BASIC, which was written somewhere in the seventies Neutral. But maybe you're more fortunate.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 08 Jul 2003 08:36:00 pm    Post subject:

Feel free to check out your local Barnes and Nobles bookstore, they always have an excellent selection on technical books of all varieties. You can usually kick back and read through books while in their store. However if you really want to learn from a reference you should thumb through it and make sure it covers a few specific things you want to learn. Then purchase it so you can have adequate time to study it at your leisure. I always recommend O'Reilly books above others for technical reference.

--AlienCC
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
C++
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement