This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
b__

Posted: 04 Jul 2003 01:39:59 pm    Post subject:

The only programming languages i know are asm and basic for the calc. Is C (For the comp) harder than asm for the calc? What's the difference between C, C++, java, etc.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 04 Jul 2003 02:53:35 pm    Post subject:

Well, I've never worked with C, I started right out with C++. I'd say that C or C++ is easier than asm for calc, because it is more user oriented, but people could say asm is easier too, I dont think I can really say because I still havent had too much experience with asm. Java is different than the rest because its used a lot for web games and web graphics, etc. I don't really like java because of the way it is set up where you have one function that draws things, another main function, I think its just wierd. Its pretty usefull tho. Dont mind me if this made no sense, Im really tired right now.

Imp
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Jul 2003 06:16:41 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't say ASM is more difficult than C++, it requires a different way of thinking. The only problem I have had so far in learning ASM is a lack of ASM knowledge. In a way ASM is quite simple. But since I don't know that much of ASM I would have to advice that you should just get a tutorial on ASM, read it and form your own opinion.

C++ is best for games because, among other things, the OOP structure fits so well with the way you think.

Java is used for web things.

C is most often used for applications and operating systems.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Jul 2003 06:22:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
CoBB

Posted: 05 Jul 2003 06:43:04 am    Post subject:

If you want to learn an easy and powerful language, you should choose Haskell.
b__

Posted: 05 Jul 2003 09:42:31 am    Post subject:

Ive never heard of haskell, but it sounds interesting.
aw3524

Posted: 08 Jul 2003 09:14:03 am    Post subject:

flash mx actionscript....
a great language with a lot of power
for building powerful online applications
although flash mx is pretty pricy,,,

www.macromedia.com

Last edited by Guest on 08 Jul 2003 09:14:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Tyler

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 Jul 2003 10:34:23 am    Post subject:

Considering I don't do any low-level languagages, ASM is most defently the hardest for me!

Java,
Javascript,
C++, -- Not visual though!
Hyper Text Markup Lanugage Wink
CoBB

Posted: 08 Jul 2003 02:26:11 pm    Post subject:

Oh, and if you want to learn a hard language, try INTERCAL. If you are able to master it, asm will be a piece of cake for you. Smile
Job the GameQuitter

Posted: 08 Jul 2003 07:01:48 pm    Post subject:

Oh please, not Haskell! Surprised I had to do that for informatics. Ugh, that was boring. The fact that our teacher was practically braindead and had a handwriting that had the whole class guessing didn't help. We once thought that he wrote "melklors" (no, that isn't a word, not even in dutch) when he actually wrote "velocities". It was that bad. :|

EDIT:
INTERCAL Page wrote:
Shown below is a relatively simple INTERCAL program which will read in 32-bit unsigned integers, treat them as signed, 2's-complement numbers, and print out their absolute values
Code:
DO (5) NEXT
    (5) DO FORGET #1
        PLEASE WRITE IN :1
        DO .1 <- '?":1~'#32768$#0'"$#1'~#3
        DO (1) NEXT
        DO :1 <- "'?":1~'#65535$#0'"$#65535'
                ~'#0$#65535'"$"'?":1~'#0$#65535'"
                $#65535'~'#0$#65535'"
        DO :2 <- #1
        PLEASE DO (4) NEXT
    (4) DO FORGET #1
        DO .1 <- "?':1~:2'$#1"~#3
        DO :1 <- "'?":1~'#65535$#0'"$":2~'#65535
                $#0'"'~'#0$#65535'"$"'?":1~'#0
                $#65535'"$":2~'#0$#65535'"'~'#0$#65535'"
        DO (1) NEXT
        DO :2 <- ":2~'#0$#65535'"
                $"'":2~'#65535$#0'"$#0'~'#32767$#1'"
        DO (4) NEXT
    (2) DO RESUME .1
    (1) PLEASE DO (2) NEXT
        PLEASE FORGET #1
        DO READ OUT :1
        PLEASE DO .1 <- '?"':1~:1'~#1"$#1'~#3
        DO (3) NEXT
        PLEASE DO (5) NEXT
    (3) DO (2) NEXT
        PLEASE GIVE UP
Neutral Uhh...

Last edited by Guest on 08 Jul 2003 07:09:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 08 Jul 2003 08:29:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
What's the difference between C, C++, java, etc.

C: Used for Operating systems and programs that need to be developed quickly but also need the added luxury of speed that no other language save for asm or binary can provide.

C++: Used for most applications, easier to develop in the C as its based on the same structure, but has shortcuts to speed up particular tasks, etc.

Java: Very platform independant given that all clients to run the code also have the java parser installed on their machine, also one of the slowest languages (Java, VB, etc.) Java however is more strict with what you can and can't do with variables then C or C++.

ASM: Very low language and tedious to program in, it requires a lot more low level code to program the same thing you could write in C or C++, also used often in Game programming along with C, (OpenGL, and DirectX are used for hardware accelerated graphics) mainly for speed.

Binary: The very first programs were all written in this language by the true grandfathers of computing (not Mr. Gates) not recommended for use because of its overly complicatedness at this time.

Perl: Very flexible multi-purpose scripting language, the structure is similar to C/C++ while Perl stands for Practical Extraction and Reporting Language, it has more then outgrown its name, and can be used to do just about anything.

PHP: similar to perl but less powerful, also less coherant in structure. Many people can learn this language quickly, others of us prefer to use other tools to do the same job.

Visual Basic: Can they really call this a language? I disagree with letting people draw their own program and making them think they are programmers when they really don't understand what exactly is going on in their program. Seems like a nice idea until you really think about it, and the consequences of having fake programmers.

Sorry if I missed your favorite language. But anyways...the Disclaimer: "My thoughts should be taken at face value and approximated as my opinion based on personal experience, not the reality of life."

--AlienCC
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 08 Jul 2003 10:23:26 pm    Post subject:

thanks AlienCC, that was very inspiring Very Happy
houou249

Posted: 09 Jul 2003 11:00:14 pm    Post subject:

Java is not a slow language Mad , it only SEEMs to run slow because it has to be run through the JVM, so it's the JVM (or your computers) fault that it SEEMS to run slow. Java is in fact as fast as C and C++ just the thing that can be good or bad about it is its restictions on modifications to the computer(registry etc...), thats why it runs through the JVM(Mainly, if you make a booboo it doesn't effect computer's actual registry). Java is also a fairly easy language to learn and use, so easy it made MircoSoft jealous enough to make that "easier" language which we call C#. Java is widely used on the net, but not just for games. Both App's and Applet's are used for just about anything you can find on the net. Not exactly what i was getting at, but this webpage runs JavaScript not Java(Don't confuse the two either there not the same trust me). JavaScript is a scripting language that does NOT run thru the JVM. And as i give my pardon for good-bye, I will tell you this, JVM stands for Java Virtual Machine.
I think i am done.
CoBB

Posted: 10 Jul 2003 01:55:08 am    Post subject:

Job, the fact that you had a braindead teacher is really sad, but it has nothing to do with Haskell's quality as a language. We had two excellent professors who taught us declarative programming. Our Prolog teacher was the second in the world to write a Prolog interpreter (still before the arrival of the first compiler), and besides that, his lectures were really amusing. The one who taught SML (another functional language) also managed quite well. We didn't have to suffer through their handwriting anyway, because the notes were available in pdf/ps/printing according to our preference. It's a pity that your lame teacher made you hate such an elegant language as haskell. Sad
Job the GameQuitter

Posted: 10 Jul 2003 09:10:58 am    Post subject:

Well... I'll admit that the language itself was interesting, now that I think about it Laughing. What we did with it was pretty boring though, and we didn't get to try out all of Haskell's abilities. Actually, all we did was "write" recurring polynomes. Bleh.

BTW, the teacher that "thought" us Haskell claimed it wasn't really a programming language (or something along those lines) because it doesn't have any variables (he meant memory adresses to store values).
houou249

Posted: 10 Jul 2003 09:27:31 am    Post subject:

Has any thought of programming in Oracle? I hear it is quite hard.
coelurus

Posted: 23 Jul 2003 04:32:34 am    Post subject:

I've only learnt the languages I thought were worthwhile, and I've gone pretty deep in most of them.
Oh btw, Java can never be as quick as C/C++ due to the interpreter, but it's not far. I've tried both pretty much :)

I'm not sure what language is the hardest. It takes longer and a little more thinking to program efficiently in ASM than in C/C++. Still, in ASM, you can do about anything in any way. You know for sure that variables lie tightly packed, you know for sure what's in memory at a specfic time etc. In C/C++, you're can't be sure at all what's really happening, which has brought me tons of stupid errors (I tend to program pretty low-level in high-level languages).
OTOH, the C/C++-compiler knows how to optimize things for certain platforms, automatically. All you need to do, is to supply some flags about your CPU to the compiler, and your code is optimized fully for it. Not really doable in ASM, except if you wanna write loads more code than usual. Aligning and cache-yaddayadda is taken care of the C/C++-compiler as well.
Turbo Pascal is pretty neat and all, with impressive compile-times. Still, the executable is slower than C/C++, which was the main reason I switched. All the restrictions on variables were a pain as well, which was making low-level tricking-around hard (inline ASM helped a lot though).

Hmm, I gotta ask my real question soon, the reason why I came here... But it's fun sometimes to tell others what one thinks Very Happy
CoBB

Posted: 23 Jul 2003 06:30:26 am    Post subject:

Job the GameQuitter wrote:
BTW, the teacher that "thought" us Haskell claimed it wasn't really a programming language (or something along those lines) because it doesn't have any variables (he meant memory adresses to store values).

Believe it or not, I almost tore off my face upon reading that... Someone who doesn't get the declarative paradigm shouldn't teach a declarative language. Incompetent teachers are everywhere. Wacko

Last edited by Guest on 23 Jul 2003 06:31:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 23 Jul 2003 11:09:50 am    Post subject:

the problem is there's still too few teachers in the world even with those incompetent teachers
KD5YTX

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Aug 2003 04:38:48 pm    Post subject:

Java is waaay to slow and quirky. The fact that it is slowed down by the fact that it is interpreted at runtime via JVM is no excuse - it is the essence of the language, that it is "perfect" in versatility. Java was overdone in hype, and caught on as a business buzzword due to decent marketing by Sun. By making a "perfect language" that had built in classes and object orientation, could be run on any platform outfitted with a JVM, and could be run in an applet on the web or in a more standalone style like normal binaries, Sun was able to capture the hearts of dreamers. Reality, however, shows us that it is slow, made too tedious thanks to a vain attempt to smother every imaginable aspect in fruffy object oriented design, and useless for any and all practical aplications.

C is a great language to learn. It is versatile, speedy, and source can be compiled onto virtually any platform. You can leave to be executed as "normal programs", run quick processing tasks on a server by using C for CGI, and enjoy the more intuitive feeling you get when using C.

C++ is C with object orientation, fancy classes, and a more mindless programming procedure than C. C++ is a great beginner language to learn, and can be used for most all of the same things as C.

Perl is all that and more - not so handy for client-end applications as it is for complex back-end data processing, Perl is so much like the English language that you need only to write what you feel or think in plain and simple English.

PHP was great, but Perl is more versatile and far better all around.

Assembly is fast, about as fast as it gets. Once assembled, it runs equal to that of hand-coding opcodes into bytes of memory in hex or binary. Assembly is best when used in conjunction with C on a large graphical project, or when doing low-level data processing, when you need that extra boost of speed.

I know someone already posted their opinion on these languages, I just wanted to add my opinion.
Tyler

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Aug 2003 07:03:50 am    Post subject:

I do some Java, unless you have at least a good 128MB RAM and a nice 1GHz processor, you'll notice a lag because its like BASIC, it compiles on run (Thats the part I really hate about it), but it works on almost any computer with the Java runtime software, so you can bring it just about anywhere
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement