This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
mikewarns

Posted: 29 Sep 2005 12:31:25 pm    Post subject:

I hate to resurrect an ancient thread but I have successfully replaced the screen from a TI-83+ with one from a broken TI-82. It's not as pretty and contrasty as the original but it is completely useable. The key is to toss the ribbon cables and clean the white residue off the pads. That leaves the gold pads ready for soldering. I didn't have a wire ribbon cable small enough so I used individual wires from a speaker cable and sandwiched them between electrical tape to keep them from shorting on each other. The TI-82 screen sits a little deeper than the original--I didn't trim the corners enough--but it beats buying a new TI-83+.
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 30 Sep 2005 10:50:18 am    Post subject:

Wow so you replaced JUST the screen and not the controller as well? If so then that must have been some serious soldering effort Smile.

Last edited by Guest on 30 Sep 2005 10:51:35 am; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Sep 2005 10:58:55 am    Post subject:

I'll say! Exactly what tools/chems did you use to rewire the LCD?
mikewarns

Posted: 03 Oct 2005 04:01:14 pm    Post subject:

Oh, I get it--I was whooshed for a whole reply that I deleted. No, I swapped out the whole display assembly, you silly boys! Very Happy I should've been clearer, I guess.
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 03 Oct 2005 04:12:03 pm    Post subject:

Ok well that makes more sense Smile.

Pity it wouldnt be as easy with a silver, the controller pinouts are a lot different from what i can gather :S.
mikewarns

Posted: 03 Oct 2005 04:40:02 pm    Post subject:

Too bad I don't have a Silver to open up and see for sure. Or should that be "It's good I don't have one because I'd break it?"
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Oct 2005 07:23:42 pm    Post subject:

I guess we could check to see if the they're still using the old T6A04 driver. Or if someone is brave enough, they could just tell me. It's hard to find a picture of the inside of a new calc on the web.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Oct 2005 07:29:59 pm    Post subject:

isn't there something about drivers in 83pasm28d? i think it says what driver the 83+ series uses
mikewarns

Posted: 04 Oct 2005 09:51:22 am    Post subject:

Part of me wouldn't be surprised if they used the same driver as the earlier models because it would help with backward compatibility of the software. Another part of me is pointing out how seldom manufacturers care about backward compatibility. The first part then points out that they've apparently used the same driver, or a compatible one, at least since the TI-82 and the Silver is just a fairly minor upgrade. Then the second part says, sneeringly though not accurately, that the Japanese would've used a couple dozen different drivers by now and if TI really cared about their customers they'd go for maximum performance. The first part says that keeping costs down is another way to look after your customers. Then my two parts get into a fistfight and I wonder how I ever get anything done.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Oct 2005 10:48:00 am    Post subject:

Considering the price of the 84+SE, you would expect a decent screen driver.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Oct 2005 05:19:54 pm    Post subject:

So how recent is this bugged display driver? Like is it still on shelves or has it been fixed yet?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement