This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Awesome1

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Sep 2004 07:28:11 pm    Post subject:

This card is old but was working fine about 24hrs ago.

This is the best way explained:
http://awesome1.kicks-ass.org/Untitled-1.html

It's not perfect but it will give general idea of what's going on...

I have an Elsa GLoria II/Nvidia Quadro 64MB Video card...

I have plugged in my dads new monator and it did the same thing. It looks to me like the vidio card but it could be others too. Any suggestions or comments. I was looking at the Radeon 9800 Pro
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Sep 2004 02:03:45 am    Post subject:

That's what happens when you turn it on?

If it's just when windows boots up I would first check out the drivers.

As for a new videocard, NVidia is faster and has better quality, and it's driver updates improve speed each time, and they've always allowed easy overclocking.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 13 Sep 2004 05:46:31 am    Post subject:

ATI has the fun overdrive feature Wink . I can't compare them though, because I've never used nvidia, so I'll be quiet now. (No video card wars either)

Imp

Last edited by Guest on 13 Sep 2004 05:46:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 13 Sep 2004 06:15:25 am    Post subject:

JoeImp wrote:
ATI has the fun overdrive feature Wink . I can't compare them though, because I've never used nvidia, so I'll be quiet now.

Imp

Yeah, they do now they realize selling overclocked cards doesn't cut it when NVidia sells cards that are still faster and produce higher quality graphics and have had the option to have their internal clockrate and memory clockrate customized all along.

Oh, and most games are optimized for NVidia cards, not to mention that some, if not most, ATI cards can't even play soldat, which normally runs on a 300ish mhz system with 16mb graphics card not to mention all the driver problems they used to have and sometimes still do when new games are released (*cough* doom3 *cough*).

Quote:
(No video card wars either)
x2 just providing facts.

Last edited by Guest on 13 Sep 2004 06:17:40 am; edited 1 time in total
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 13 Sep 2004 03:31:20 pm    Post subject:

How is

"ATI is providing an early version of CATALYST 4.9 to users interested in increasing performance of Doom 3. "

Driver problems? It just an optimized patch for doom 3. You might argue that it should be fast without it, but that still isn't a driver problem. It works perfectly fine without it, even faster with it.

Imp
Awesome1

Advanced Member

Posted: 13 Sep 2004 04:26:28 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
That's what happens when you turn it on?

If it's just when windows boots up I would first check out the drivers.

As for a new videocard, NVidia is faster and has better quality, and it's driver updates improve speed each time, and they've always allowed easy overclocking.

no, all the time, from when i turn my monator off to when i retire for the night from playing Americas Army.

At first i thought the card was overheating because of fan failure, i pulled it out and let it cool down and dusted it off and the same thing. Then i updated the drivers and just installed mumbo-jumbo options designed for cad, studio max, maya etc...

I've been looking at the gforce and radeon cards and it seems like the gforce hase more options hardware wise then radeon but has a lower memory bandwidth too.
Should that be took into concideration for the newer video cards such as XFX GeForce FX 5700 or the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro or ATI Radeon 9800XT? Also i see the core clocks being from 400-500MHz and memory clock from 500-730 MHz, does that also improve performace?

Later this weekend my dad and i are going to plug it into my moms box and see if ti does the same.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 13 Sep 2004 08:57:45 pm    Post subject:

In the past I've owned 2 ATI cards (Rage 128 32MB / Radeon 9800Pro*) and several Nvidia cards (TNT2 8MB / Geforce2 MX 32MB* / Geforce2 GTS 32MB / Geforce 3 64MB / Geforce 3 Ti500 64 MB / Geforce4 440 Go 64MB* / Geforce4 Ti4600 128MB)

*Indicates videocards I am currently using.
Reason for so many nvidia cards is I used to upgrade frequently, I've only had a problem with one of the many nvidia cards I've used, and that was after having used it frequently for a year it started glitching on me. Nvidia cards have always worked fine for everything I've thrown at them, at excellent refresh rates (cranked way past 60Hz).

Ati on the other hand, has always had problems running many programs / games without need extra patches and such, I'll admit they are better then they used to be, but still I'm not as happy with ATI as I always had been with Nvidia. Especially now that Doom3 is out and my Radion 9800 Pro is defective and displays snow in Doom3 only.

My advice is to look at the GeForce chips based on the FX 6800 chipset if you're going to buy a new one and are looking for performance. ATI is ok, but more of a headache overall.

--AlienCC
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Sep 2004 03:43:05 am    Post subject:

JoeImp wrote:
How is

"ATI is providing an early version of CATALYST 4.9 to users interested in increasing performance of Doom 3. "

Driver problems? It just an optimized patch for doom 3. You might argue that it should be fast without it, but that still isn't a driver problem. It works perfectly fine without it, even faster with it.

When Doom3 was just released many ATI users experienced terrible (<12) fps's on system that should easily run much much faster, or had misc graphics problems.

This was fixed in a driver update.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 14 Sep 2004 03:06:07 pm    Post subject:

... guess I'm special. Averaged 50fps without patch. Not one glitch.

Imp
Awesome1

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Sep 2004 08:49:58 pm    Post subject:

Yeah i was reading about how ATI needs a ton of patches in certain spots. Im looking at performance, but also a card that's not gunna shut down after a year or will need constant patches... What about the XFX GeForce FX 7500?

Last edited by Guest on 14 Sep 2004 08:50:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Awesome1

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Sep 2004 02:26:23 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone have any suggestions to new video cards today that perfrom extremely well and have as little hastle as possible?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Sep 2004 03:14:00 pm    Post subject:

The latest NVidia or Radeon card is always good.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 20 Sep 2004 05:05:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The latest NVidia or Radeon card is always good.

+

Quote:

=

Answers.

Any new card now-adays will kick a, no matter who it's made by. Good call arcane

Imp
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement