This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Sep 2004 05:11:44 am    Post subject:

Fr0sty wrote:
Quote:
That doesn't mean it's working properly.
I said it was attached to my computer meaning I can't switch the cable.

Actually you said it was attached to your monitor, so is your vga cable actually attached to you monitor instead of just pluginabble or is it attached to the computer (PSU)? How old is this monitor?

Quote:
Quote:
Whoever send you the email would've had the virus in it as well, and if reading the mail was enough to cause the monitor troubles like you thought that person would've had the problems, because virusses need to be executed before they can scan the address book and send themselves.

Where in my post did I say that the person who sent it to my mom didn't get the virus?
Where in my post did I say you said the person who send it didn't get the virus? I'm saying that if the email message itself actually was a virus it would've affected them as well and you could ask them if their monitor is still working properly. If it isn't then the e-mail wasn't the problem and has nothing to do with it like I've been trying to tell you all the time.

Quote:
Quote:
Who cares if it was send on purpose?
I was proving that it could be a virus that was sent automatically to my mom through her friend because my mom's friend knows that she can't speak French so she has no REASON to send it to her.
I know, but it doesn't matter at all if it was send on purpose or not, either way they would've gotten the virus as well. So you could ask them if they have in order to exclude this e-mail from being the cause of your monitor problems. /hint hint

Quote:
Quote:
Those are magnetic, mr amature-advanced-computer-user-who-isn't-a-newb sir.
amaTEUR *cough* Anyway, I'm sorry if I failed to believe that speakers and floppy disks would cause a disturbance with my computer since... well I don't know. The speakers seem to be attached to my computer and have been in the exact same spot as they've always been and the floppy disk... how can I say it? It kinda you know, goes into the computer and comes out with data? Hmmm....
Then don't say you don't think they're anything like a magnet, you wouldn't have been the first to have bought some good powerfull speakers and get your monitor messed up, it was a possibility.

Quote:
Quote:
Surely an amature-advanced-computer-user would know that the diffuse function he himself already tried removes outside effects that distort the monitor's magnetic field like magnets and speakers immedeately? And such a person would surely also know that if the diffuse function didn't work and before nor after clearing the area of magnets the problem isn't an external magnetic field?
Well I never claimed to have went to MIT or anything... but this amuses me. Okay, I looked up the Degauss function that I tried and it said it removed "internal permanent magnetization" (which I copy+pasted).
Internal permanent magnetization is what's caused by stuff like magnets when you keep them neer the monitor, when you remove them the screen is still distorted (this is internal permanent magnetization) and that can be removed by the degauss or however it's called on your monitor regardless of wether the source that caused the internal permanent magnetization was external or not.

Quote:
Since I used a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MONITOR and got the same effect, then went upstairs and used it and had a perfectly clear screen, am I incorrect in assuming that it's an external force?
If you plugged that COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MONITOR into the system you're getting problems with and got the same effect but not if you plug it in anywhere else you'd be better off concluding it's the system downstairs and not the monitor itself.

Quote:
Or is it that my monitor is only internally affected when I'm downstairs? That would seem kinda weird eh?
Did you test your "broken" monitor upstairs yet? If it worked fine there you simply know the monitor's aren't the problem and it would be perfectly logical that if the system below is causing the problems it would only affect the monitor when it's downstairs.

Quote:
So anyway, I'm fixin to go SCOOBA dive, or is it SCUBA? Obviously it doesn't matter, because I'm sure I can find some source on the internet that says they're the same.
Since scooba doesn't even exist and foobar does and simply does have the same meaning as fubar your comparison is flawed. I used a synonym like it's intended to be used, just because you can't handle that and the fact that I found a perfectly legible source to back up my claims doesn't mean you have a point in saying I can say anything and just find a source to confirm it's correct because that is simply not true.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Sep 2004 01:31:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I know, but it doesn't matter at all if it was send on purpose or not, either way they would've gotten the virus as well. So you could ask them if they have in order to exclude this e-mail from being the cause of your monitor problems. /hint hint
If it were someone who sent the virus on purpuse, they'd probably have something to protect their own computer.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Sep 2004 01:46:00 pm    Post subject:

We're not talking about 1 person here.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Sep 2004 01:49:18 pm    Post subject:

Why not? it could be 1 person.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Sep 2004 02:01:20 pm    Post subject:

He forwarded it to me, there where obvious traces of previous forwardings.

To: PETIPETOCHE@HOTMAIL.COM, patrick.emile.fleury@wanadoo.fr, Jeanlouisverdier@aol.com, S.Kunze@OSRAM.DE, Misscapitelle30@aol.com, mlangris@ifrance.com, myanh@noos.fr, laurent.rabinel@wanadoo.fr, roumieu2@ifrance.com, Lagrange27@free.fr, thorrignac@dyadel.net, valerie.thorrignac@wanadoo.fr, dungung55@yahoo.com, tung@state.pa.us, yves.aubry1@free.fr
Subject: Trans. : Tr : très important
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 8:22 PM
MIME-Version: 1.0
X-Originating-IP: [64.12.137.4]
Received: from 64.12.137.4 (EHLO imo-m23.mx.aol.com) (64.12.137.4) by mta119.mail.scd.yahoo.com with SMTP; Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:23:44 -0700
Received: from Julietterabinel@aol.comby imo-m23.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v37_r3.4.) id i.12c.4a8c3c5b (4592);Mon, 30 Aug 2004 14:22:01 -0400 (EDT)
X-Apparently-To: dungung55@yahoo.com via 206.190.38.121; Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:23:44 -0700
Return-Path: <julietterabinel@aol.com>
X-Mailer: 9.0 for Windows sub 851
Content-Length: 5427
To: "Alain Durieu" <DURIEUA@airproducts.com>, "augustin" <amj.fosse@free.fr>, "benoit" <benoit.cousin@ifrance.com>, "bis et cathy" <alain.cat@wanadoo.fr>, "bruno alexandre" <alexandre.bruno@wanadoo.fr>, "bénédicte " <bdperso@dumeige-conseil.com>, "cathy boulay" <catolibou@yahoo.fr>, "christophe auregan" <cauregan@groupama-maine.fr>, "credit mutuel" <LECONTCL@cmmabn.creditmutuel.fr>, "estelle et pat" <meyronnin@wanadoo.fr>, "FRANCE BLEUE CAEN" <francis.gaugain@radiofrance.com>, "géraldine " <g.maubert1@tiscali.fr>, "jean-luc" <mauricejl@no-log.org>, "juliette" <julietterabinel@aol.com>, "laurence" <louisfertlau@hotmail.com>, "lulu" <christophe.lucie@wanadoo.fr>, "marc" <mlecornu@free.fr>, "marie" <marie-ange.bunout@netcourrier.com>, "marie-héléne " <marie-helene.descours@mairie-gisors.fr>, "philippe et isa" <jonzieux@free.fr>, "stef lasseur" <lasseur@iutalencon.unicaen.fr>, "thierry et manu" <thierrytaupin@tele2.fr>
Subject: Tr : très important
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 10:09 AM
MIME-Version: 1.0
Received: from rly-yd03.mx.aol.com (rly-yd03.mail.aol.com [172.18.141.67]) by air-yd01.mail.aol.com (v101_r1.3) with ESMTP id MAILINYD11-204412af80c18e; Tue, 24 Aug 2004 04:11:17 -0400
Received: from smtp.cegetel.net (mf00.sitadelle.com [212.94.174.77]) by rly-yd03.mx.aol.com (v101_r1.2) with ESMTP id MAILRELAYINYD36-204412af80c18e; Tue, 24 Aug 2004 04:10:53 -0400
Received: from portable7 (unknown [213.223.106.43])by smtp.cegetel.net (Postfix) with SMTP id E710D6722E;Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:10:02 +0200 (CEST)
Return-Path: <marieange.bunout@cegetel.net>
Message-Id: <412AF7D0.000001.00676@PORTABLE7>
X-Mailer: IncrediMail (3001524)

-------Message original-------

De : christophe.lucie
Date : 08/24/04 09:40:59
A : Alain Durieu; Cyril Bréger; Cyril et Nadège Carré; David Morin; Hervé et Lolotte; Jean-luc Troussard; Jean-pierre Busquet; Seb Podyma; Stéphanie Planchais; Tony Angot; Lucie Botté; Marc Lecornu; Marie-jo Troussard; marieange.bunout@cegetel.net; Michèle et ALain Besnard; Laurent Genthon
Sujet : très important

I doubt they where all involved in the creation of the virus and had adequate protection that one of the best antivirus programs in the world does not have.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 Oct 2004 03:06:43 pm    Post subject:

Wow I can't even tell what he's done to test what the problem is, arcane and frosty are arguing the stupidest little points - for example the SCOOBA joke. Can one of you just accept that you won't get the last word in?

So frosty, what combos of moniters/locations/computers have you tried and what are the results?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Oct 2004 03:22:27 pm    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
Wow I can't even tell what he's done to test what the problem is

Perhaps you should try reading the topic?

Quote:
arcane and frosty are arguing the stupidest little points - for example the SCOOBA joke.
That's the only "stupid little point" all the other's we where discussing had an immedate connection with the problem we where trying to solve.

Quote:
Can one of you just accept that you won't get the last word in?
Can you accept that I'm not trying to and this little socialogical analogy is crap?
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 Oct 2004 07:24:50 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
mr amature-advanced-computer-user-who-isn't-a-newb

Quote:
amaTEUR *cough* Anyway, I'm sorry if I failed to believe that speakers and floppy disks would cause a disturbance with my computer since... well I don't know. The speakers seem to be attached to my computer and have been in the exact same spot as they've always been and the floppy disk... how can I say it? It kinda you know, goes into the computer and comes out with data? Hmmm....

Ah, and the quotes above were perfectly on topic? Not trying to get on each others nerves, or prove yourself (both of you, not just Arcane Wizard) smarter or something?

Frosty, from what I can tell the email you opened did not contain a virus that screwed up your moniter. Can you try to remember exactly what you did that night? I'm thinking either you moved something on your desk or it was the fact that the screensaver did not start up. No other explanations make sense, so there is not really much point in discussing them
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Oct 2004 03:54:14 am    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
Ah, and the quotes above were perfectly on topic?

Yes, actually.

Quote:
Not trying to get on each others nerves, or prove yourself smarter or something?
I wasn't trying to prove myself smarter I was pointing out how it's rather stupid to say you're absolutely not a noob, and know what you're doing etc etc etc but then don't even know that a speaker really just is a magnet.

Quote:
No other explanations make sense, so there is not really much point in discussing them
Discussing them would serve two purposes:

1) either party becoming convinced an explenation doesn't make sense, or does make sense.
2) eliminating possible causes for the problem and finding the solution.

So I wouldn't say there's hardly any point in discussing.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement