This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Aug 2004 02:18:28 am    Post subject:

Sir Robin wrote:
Do you really need 10 cm to cut holes?

we had to saw out a shape with it, about 3m worth of sawing Sad.

Quote:
The saws are great if you actually know how to use them, I've used them for a couple of years and only broke a bunch during the first couple of tries, then I figured they broke because of putting too much force on them or letting them get too hot. (duh)

Basically, let the saw do the work (don't put a lot of force on it, it should be like cutting butter and keep the saw positioned properly, this should allow for very easy sawing and of course make sure you're using a sharp saw), take breakes when you're cutting a large piece of wood so it can cool down (or use some cool water/air), and don't try to cut 10cm thick pieces of wood with a 1.5mm saw, also use a bit thicker one when sawing harder kinds of woods like triplex or whatever.

Of course, to cut the steel of the backplate, use special steel saws and not saws you'd use to saw wood. 

you probably didn't use cheap school material.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Aug 2004 07:35:33 am    Post subject:

As a matter of fact, I have used cheap saws both at school and at home, they too work just fine if you handle them well.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 30 Aug 2004 09:11:23 am    Post subject:

Btw, just so you don't think it's broke, or get your hopes up, but:

"How fast is the processor?
2.8GHz 64-bit."

It's actually going to run at 1.8 ghz.

I have the AMD 64 3000+, and it runs at 2.0ghz default, overclocked right now to 2.3ghz.

The '2800' is a rating of how fast it is. Even though it's truly 1.8 ghz, it's going to seem to run a ton faster, especially with 1600mhz bus speed, and other factors. So don't think it's broke when you expect 2.8 and you get 1.8.

[EDIT] - The $800-850 AMD 64 only goes at 2.4 defualt. Smile (Lost more cache though)

Imp

Last edited by Guest on 30 Aug 2004 09:12:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Aug 2004 09:30:57 am    Post subject:

AMD names it's CPUs after the clockrate of ~equally fast Intel CPUs, this is generally a difference of 800-1000mhz. They do this so dumb people, who don't know that AMD is better, will also buy their CPUs instead of Intel's.

Last edited by Guest on 30 Aug 2004 09:31:35 am; edited 1 time in total
agility
Calc Spammer

Calc Guru

Posted: 31 Aug 2004 04:13:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
A saw, a fretsaw to be precise.

Oh, I just didn't see the blade in your first picture so I was a little confused.

Quote:
It's actually going to run at 1.8 ghz.

I have the AMD 64 3000+, and it runs at 2.0ghz default, overclocked right now to 2.3ghz.

The '2800' is a rating of how fast it is. Even though it's truly 1.8 ghz, it's going to seem to run a ton faster, especially with 1600mhz bus speed, and other factors. So don't think it's broke when you expect 2.8 and you get 1.8.

[EDIT] - The $800-850 AMD 64 only goes at 2.4 defualt.  (Lost more cache though)

Yeah, I just realized that a few days ago. And what will make the processor seem as though it's going way faster? In what type of applications I mean.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Sep 2004 04:51:14 am    Post subject:

AMD CPUs have much more efficient instruction handling, so ALL instructions passed on to an AMD CPU get executed much more efficiently, resulting in greater speed.

AMD 2GHz =(about)= P4 2.8GHz/3GHz

Just like how a Pentium Mobile executes instructions about as fast as a Pentium 4 of 1Ghz greater clock frequency.

PM 1.6GHz =(about)= P4 2.6GHz

The clockrates differ, but effective speed (which is what we should actually care about) pretty much match.

Obviously this is awesome for overclocking, though that's not really necessary.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Sep 2004 04:51:48 am; edited 1 time in total
agility
Calc Spammer

Calc Guru

Posted: 02 Sep 2004 05:05:04 pm    Post subject:

What's awesome for overclocking, an AMD processor or an Intel processor?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Sep 2004 01:42:46 am    Post subject:

Think about it, lower clockrate means less heat, but it's faster than other CPU's of similar clockrate, increase this clockrate and benefit from this higher grade of efficiecy.
agility
Calc Spammer

Calc Guru

Posted: 03 Sep 2004 03:09:07 pm    Post subject:

AMD? But I've seen a lot more projects on overclocking on P4's than all AMD processors combined.

Last edited by Guest on 03 Sep 2004 03:09:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement