This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 21 Aug 2004 10:51:55 am    Post subject:

Ok first of all, this is on my parents computer, I would never let mine get this messed up. I set up and take care of their computer for them, since they don't know what they're doing. Anyways, they crashed it so much, when I was re-installing windows a while ago, I set up a partition C for all their files, and D for windows. Therefore, next time they crashed it, I could reinstall to D without them losing files. I made C to be 35 gigs, and D to be the remaining 5 gigs. Long story short, there's now 32 gigs left on C, and 48.9 megs left on D. I can't delete anything off of D to clear up space, not an option. Is there any program or way that I could change the partitions around, making D bigger, C smaller, without losing data? Bah .. It keeps saying Low Disk Space to me Sad Any help greatly appreciated

[EDIT] - After a little searching around, I found Partition Magic. Sounds pretty good, like it might work. Anyone have any experience with this?

"Partition Magic makes the creation, deletion, resizing, splitting and re-combination of partitions easy. All this without reformatting! "

Imp

Last edited by Guest on 21 Aug 2004 10:54:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Aug 2004 11:21:20 am    Post subject:

I wouldn't resize, I would put all files on D on C:\D BACKUP\, then recombine both partitions, defrag, split off 10GB of free space as a new partition called D:, move files back to D.

2 reasons why I wouldn't resize:

1) I don't trust Partition Magic enough to let it resize partitions, and from what I remember last time I wanted to do that with it there was still the danger of losing any data that was at the end of the first partition:

Code:
[C:\########  ##    ###  | D:\###### ]
Resizing C to 20GB and D to 20:
[C:\########  ##   |D:\       ###### ]
# = files
Notice how the 3 #'s on C are gone after resizing.

2) So if you are going to resize, defrag first. However, defragmenting requires 15% (?) free space to work effectively, so that wouldn't be much of an option unless you remove all temp files, windows can fill up quite a lot of space with them so maybe that might give you enough free space to defrag.

If you really want to be safe and can't use partition magic because it's just a trial version and/or want to use fdisk instead:
> Get another HD (HD2 for future references)
> Create the directories C_BACKUP and D_BACKUP on HD2
> Move files on HD1's C:\ to HD2's C_BACKUP
> Move files on HD1's D:\ to HD2's D_BACKUP
> Remove C:\ and D:\ from HD1
> Create new C:\ and D:\ partitions on HD1 with the sizes you want
> Move files from HD2's C_BACKUP to C:\
> Move files from HD2's D_BACKUP to D:\

If you feel lucky (DONT DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!)
> remove C:\ and D:\ partitions
> create C:\ and D:\ with the new sizes
> use data restore software that can restore data after reformatting to get your files back

Last edited by Guest on 21 Aug 2004 11:30:53 am; edited 1 time in total
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 21 Aug 2004 11:56:56 am    Post subject:

Yeeeaaaah.... I didn't feel like working too much, just got Partion Magic 8.02 instead. Resized in like 20 minutes, everything works 100% so far. Sizes look right, data looks intact. Looks like it all worked. Very good program if I should say so myself. Thanks for your imput Arcane, I'm going to do some work on my computer later, so I'll remember what you said

Imp
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Aug 2004 11:59:00 am    Post subject:

Did you use a trial version or a full version?
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 21 Aug 2004 12:03:45 pm    Post subject:

Full. I .. uhhhh... bought it from my friend. All legit of course :)

[EDIT] I love how active this board is. It's great

Imp

Last edited by Guest on 21 Aug 2004 12:04:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Aug 2004 01:28:41 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I have another HD too... and when I got another HD2, I moved everything to C:, deleted all the stuff on D:, replaced HD2 with HD3 and moved it all back to C:.
Even though that was one of the options for you I think it was the only option for me.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement