This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Aug 2004 05:05:39 am    Post subject:

It's not possible to upgrade a laptop's graphics chipset or video card right?
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Aug 2004 12:31:25 pm    Post subject:

It's possible, but only with a video card that is the same size and shape as the previous one you had. Othewise, It'll look funky.
DmitriB

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Aug 2004 12:51:26 pm    Post subject:

i think you can on alienwares area 51m.

EDIT: to upgrade you have to send it in to alienware though.

Last edited by Guest on 06 Aug 2004 12:52:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Aug 2004 01:21:41 pm    Post subject:

And does any place sell any graphics cards that fit?

Last edited by Guest on 06 Aug 2004 01:34:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Aug 2004 01:46:39 pm    Post subject:

It depends which card you currently have on ya toppy. If you don't have any, you gotta buy one that fits. Usually, companies like Dell become evil and make their slots weird so that nothing else fits except the stock card, but other comapnies like HP make less un-universal ones.

P.S. Sorry for editing your post, you just messed up on the coding a bit. I was following your advice:

What a mod should do wrote:
Keeping their forum readable.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Aug 2004 02:48:22 pm    Post subject:

Yes, I got the message that it has to fit ( Rolling Eyes ) but are there actually places in existence that sell graphics cards that might possibly fit in a laptop?

I mean, it's all great that they might have room for one, but if they're not sold anywhere one still can't upgrade one's vid card.
agility
Calc Spammer

Calc Guru

Posted: 06 Aug 2004 07:13:15 pm    Post subject:

Do you think it's possible to have a video card on a PCI slot?
X1011

Posted: 06 Aug 2004 08:59:05 pm    Post subject:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/ca...c.asp?CatId=319
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Aug 2004 04:57:52 am    Post subject:

PCI used to be the way to connect a vid card, now it's just slow compared to AGP. The new PCX is supposed to be faster though, but at the moment there's practically no speed advantage over AGP.
agility
Calc Spammer

Calc Guru

Posted: 07 Aug 2004 07:13:08 am    Post subject:

Ah, that's not what I meant. Typo! I meant PCMCIA slot on a laptop.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Aug 2004 07:39:06 am    Post subject:

There are no video cards for PCMCIA I or PCMCIA II slots, only external devices like CD Drives or HDs.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 08 Aug 2004 03:19:32 am    Post subject:

NO, No.

You get internal AGP cards for laptops. Yes, they are smaller than desktop cards.

You can buy them and replace them. ATI and NVidia make them especially for laptops. It is a bit more chalenging though.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Aug 2004 06:09:41 am    Post subject:

OK, after a bit of searching at Alienware (none of the other stores on NVidia's list seemed to actually sell them) I found this card:

Clickity

That's the kind of thing I'm looking for, right?

Last edited by Guest on 08 Aug 2004 06:10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
ISUCK

Posted: 08 Aug 2004 12:13:14 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
PCI used to be the way to connect a vid card, now it's just slow compared to AGP. The new PCX is supposed to be faster though, but at the moment there's practically no speed advantage over AGP.

CRAP Crap CRapCrap... I accidentally clicked report once... and then frantically clicked on quote like 20 times Wacko

do you mean pci express? it's supposed to have 4 gb bandwidth i think, but agp8x has 2 gb bandwith... so I think it is faster... which is why now the latest high end cards are switching to pci express from agp
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Aug 2004 12:44:17 pm    Post subject:

ISUCK wrote:
Arcane Wizard wrote:

CRAP Crap CRapCrap... I accidentally clicked report once... and then frantically clicked on quote like 20 times Wacko

Quote:
do you mean pci express?
In case you didn't know, PCX is PCI Express, so yes, PCI Express is what I'm talking about.

Quote:
it's supposed to have 4 gb bandwidth i think, but agp8x has 2 gb bandwith... so I think it is faster... which is why now the latest high end cards are switching to pci express from agp
Doubled AGP 8x (also called AGP 16x) has 4GB bandwith, like PCX, so there's no performance gain at all.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement