This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Computer Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
optimize

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 08 Aug 2004 07:17:19 pm    Post subject:

Well that's because that game uses like thousands and bilions and gillions of polygons, and it might acctually do it. I just got my new system because my parents decided to upgrade from our oldie PIII...

Now's it a

3000+ @ 2.4GHz (2.17 Default)
1GB @ 360(ish?)DDR
Radeon 9800XT @ 450/540
40GB ATA100 (I know it sucks)
Integrated everythin else lol
optimize

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 08 Aug 2004 07:31:18 pm    Post subject:

Video memory @ 320... no clue where 540 popped in my head!
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 08 Aug 2004 08:47:17 pm    Post subject:

64 3000+ running at 2.3ghz (2.0 default)
1GB Crucial Memory Running at 460mhz (400 default)
ATI 9600XT Overdrived to 536mhz (Buying an X800 soon)
60GB Maxtor HD (Buying a maxtor 120GB soon)
Dvd/Cd burner
7 fans not including gpu, cpu, and 2 ps fans. Lol Little overboard.

I was in the middle of a doom 3 game, and the graphics were set to the medium settings (default I believe), and I went into options and set it to best graphics. I hit apply, left the options menu, tried to return to my game, and all I got was a gray screen lol. Maybe I should set that up before I play, or maybe you need a kick-a system to play at full graphics. (Mine SHOULD be good enough, gpu is a little cheap tho.) Anyways, doom 3 is awesome, scary as hell at 2 in the morning with all the lights off and sound pumped up :)

Imp

Btw - ATI and AMD ALL THE WAY

Last edited by Guest on 08 Aug 2004 08:47:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
optimize

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 08 Aug 2004 08:52:24 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Btw - ATI and AMD ALL THE WAY

You're a smart little cookie
rebel.socom

Posted: 08 Aug 2004 09:33:43 pm    Post subject:

ty optimize some one other coustermer at the store said he bought k7 triton and said it was and aowsome mother board.

yes i like amd a lot more then intels cpu's but whats wrong with nvidia?

Last edited by Guest on 08 Aug 2004 09:37:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 Aug 2004 03:30:55 am    Post subject:

I actually like Intell Better for 32-bit CPUs and Nvidia. Intell CPUs are definatly higher quality, but way more money unfortunatly.

Still, AMD Athlon XP is a good series I would be happy to use.
agility
Calc Spammer

Calc Guru

Posted: 09 Aug 2004 06:31:24 am    Post subject:

I like Intel and AMD equally because they're mostly stable and ATI because they produce some of the best graphics.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Aug 2004 07:15:21 am    Post subject:

optimize wrote:
Well that's because that game uses like thousands and bilions and gillions of polygons, and it might acctually do it.

No it won't. Doom3 at max detail requires a 512MB videocard, these don't exist on the consumer market yet. I don't believe it'll even run it at medium detail because then you need 128MB videocard, at least more than 64MB.

Quote:
(Mine SHOULD be good enough, gpu is a little cheap tho.)
No it should not, try reading the system requirements before you buy a game.

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20040727_052008.html wrote:
Doom 3 Video Card Requirements

By Lars Weinand

July 27, 2004 - 05:20 EST

- id explains the video card memory requirements to play Doom 3 at certain quality levels. You need a not yet released 512MB video card to play the game at the highes stettings! The minimum is a 64MB card.

Ultra Quality (max. quality): for 512MB video cards. Each texture; diffuse, specular, normal map at full resolution with no compression.

High Quality: for 256MB video cards. Uses compression ( DXT1,3,5 ) for specular and diffuse and no compression for normal maps. This looks very very close to Ultra quality but the compression does cause some loss.

Medium Quality: for 128MB video cards. Uses compression for specular, diffuse, and normal maps. This still looks really really good but compressing the normal maps can produce a few artifacts especially on hard angled or round edges.

Low Quality: for 64MB video cards. It does everything medium quality does but it also downsizes textures over 512x512 and we downsize specular maps to 64x64 in this mode as well.

I prefer AMD when it comes to CPU, higher performance at lower clockrate and temperatures = teh win.
When it comes to graphics I love NVidia because their drivers are great (update drivers, increase performance and software overclock via drivers = goodness) and their cards are great too. ATI also has great cards but used to have a lot of compatibility and drivers problems. I'd go for ATI when it comes to mobile graphics cards and NVidia for desktops so you can safely overclock and just put another fan in or whatever.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Aug 2004 07:18:19 am; edited 1 time in total
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 09 Aug 2004 08:56:32 am    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard - Lately, everything i've posted and some other stuff that people have posted, you always come up with negative replies. You might say this isn't negative, but it is a little. I dont know, maybe you've run out of things to say to get to your 5000 post acount or crap like that.

If you kept reading the same exact article:

"In Ultra quality, we load each texture; diffuse, specular, normal map at full resolution with no compression. ... This will run on current hardware ... This can cause some choppiness as a lot of memory bandwidth is being consumed. It does however look fantastic Smile. "

"it is certainly playable on high end systems but due to the hitching that can occur we chose to require a 512MB Video card before setting this automatically. "

So according to the same guy, it will play on video cards that aren't 512mb, just not as good, or even crappy.

Cheers. (Lighten up a little)

Imp
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Aug 2004 09:13:48 am    Post subject:

That doesn't mean it will/should work, it means it can/might work. It definately won't work on a 64mb card. And a Radeon 9600 isn't current hardware anymore.

Quote:
Arcane Wizard - Lately, everything i've posted and some other stuff that people have posted, you always come up with negative replies. You might say this isn't negative, but it is a little.
Examples are welcome. PM.

Quote:
I dont know, maybe you've run out of things to say to get to your 5000 post acount or crap like that.
Maybe not. If you're so offended by my postcount, I can reset it to 0 if you want. Won't stop me from posting my opinion though.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Aug 2004 09:29:48 am; edited 1 time in total
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 09 Aug 2004 09:29:18 am    Post subject:

Even if a 9600XT isn't that current, is still isn't bad. Ultra-High settings on Doom 3 run at 50-60fps normal, maybe lowest it got was 40fps under full load for me. Not bad considering:

"No it won't. Doom3 at max detail requires a 512MB videocard, these don't exist on the consumer market yet. I don't believe it'll even run it at medium detail because then you need 128MB videocard, at least more than 64MB."

Imp
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Aug 2004 09:32:22 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I hit apply, left the options menu, tried to return to my game, and all I got was a gray screen lol.
Way to feed me false information and confirm my thoughts that Doom3 "required" a 512MB vid card to run at unltra-high or at least a top of the line ("it is certainly playable on high end systems") vid card.

If it helps, read everything I post like it's being said with a kind of neutral/explaining attitude.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 09 Aug 2004 09:37:19 am    Post subject:

No, I just tried doom 3 with ultra high settings from the beginning a second ago. Before, I tried to change them mid-play, like I said, and it didn't work. After these few posts back and forth, and went into doom 3, changed it to ultra-high, restarted the app, and it worked. First time i've gotten it to work was like 5 minutes ago.

Imp

Last edited by Guest on 09 Aug 2004 09:38:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Aug 2004 09:43:43 am    Post subject:

Ah ok, it's still not fact that it should work, definately not on a mid range system with 64mb vid card:?.
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 09 Aug 2004 09:45:52 am    Post subject:

I wasn't really expecting it to work for me, but it did. If you had a mid-range system with a 64mb gpu, if it did work, it would probly be like 10 fps, if it worked at all lol. I can't say though, since I don't have a system like that.

Imp
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Aug 2004 09:56:21 am    Post subject:

Yeah, but I'd think the difference between 64mb and 512 would be a bit too much and it would give an error that there's not enough mem or something and if it would run it would eat a lot of system ram and with 374 (?) out of 512 already in use for the maps windows would start on the swap file.

Swap file = eeeeeeeevil.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Aug 2004 09:56:39 am; edited 1 time in total
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 09 Aug 2004 10:05:45 am    Post subject:

There was also some tweak that I did, supposed to make it run better. In the Doom 3\Base\DoomConfig.cfg, theres a line that looks like:

seta image_cacheMegs "32"

If you increase that, it's supposed to increase performance. My friend had it at 256, so I was running at that for a while. Boosted it up to 512 before I tried ultra-high. Could be killing my system, I don't know. Everything seems to work ok.

Imp
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Aug 2004 10:21:31 am    Post subject:

It's not too smart to set that to use all your system's memory or most of it for that matter. 256 should be used if you have like a gb of RAM. Keep in mind to leave enough room for the other things that want to use ram, like the map data.

You can also uncompress the .pk4 files yourself, keeps the system form unpacking them in realtime. (CPU doesn't like uncompressing)

Last edited by Guest on 09 Aug 2004 10:30:48 am; edited 1 time in total
optimize

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 09 Aug 2004 02:55:39 pm    Post subject:

I like to play Doom 3 with Ultra High Quality
Just ask for a little cash...
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Aug 2004 03:21:31 am    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
Quote:
Microsoft says that 512mb is enough. Therefore, get 768mb.
Microsoft is right, 512MB is (more than) enough, but if you want to keep from having to buy the additional 256MB later, get it now. Simple enough, no?

microsoft once said 640K should be enough for everyone...

but 512 MB should be enough anyway, if you want more ram just upgrade to 1024MB a year later. That should REALLY be enough.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement