This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
CoBB

Posted: 30 Jun 2003 09:38:43 am    Post subject:

This is still a beta, but anyone might have ideas about improving it, what to include in the final etc. Currently it's only available to the testers, but here's a little eye candy just to get the idea. :)

The game has a name already, but it's so bizarre that I don't want to reveal it until the official release...
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 30 Jun 2003 10:35:34 am    Post subject:

Hey, that looks pretty cool! Good job!
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Jun 2003 12:19:11 pm    Post subject:

It looks and sounds good, but if you could you should make the flippers stand out more, because they're really hard to distinguish form the rest of the table.
yugniht

Posted: 30 Jun 2003 01:14:08 pm    Post subject:

I agree with arcane but it looks great anyway. I don't even care that it doesn't have greyscale cause it would just slow it down.

Are there more than one board, or level, or whatever you want to call it?
CoBB

Posted: 30 Jun 2003 01:32:01 pm    Post subject:

There are no tables yet. This one is just for testing the physics and gameplay engine. The real ones will be planned to be more ergonomic. I can't really do much about the flippers due to some engine limitations. According to the testers it isn't much of a problem when you're playing the game yourself.

Greyscale is simply impossible. Period. It wouldn't really make sense anyway, because the image is blurred anyway on the real LCD due to the fast scrolling.
b__

Posted: 30 Jun 2003 07:19:26 pm    Post subject:

Greyscale would be possible. Do you know how to make your own interrupt?
Its real easy, and that is how you make greyscale. Don't use any of those greyscale packages because they are too slow.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 Jun 2003 07:34:56 pm    Post subject:

duck has a pretty nice one though...
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 30 Jun 2003 09:32:15 pm    Post subject:

ya, duck(from maxcoderz.com)s grayscale routine is really good!(i mean REALLY good!) it isn't too slow...

about ur pinball game... um i think it needs more bounce when it hits the hotspots that give u points... just a thought!
CoBB

Posted: 01 Jul 2003 01:14:37 am    Post subject:

LOL, this program uses its own interrupt routine for the timing to make its speed constant. Greyscale isn't possible with such CPU intensive games on the 83(+), because it requires you to send data to the LCD all the time (unlike the 86 for instance which has a memory mapped LCD). It is good for RPGs with still pictures or probably some sprites moving around, but not for such arcade games. FYI, I was there at the birth of Duck's routine, I know its capabilities quite well. 8)

About hotspots: they don't exist yet. Smile What you see on the screenshot is a mesh of walls made from the same material everywhere. The whole table is there to try and test the movement of the ball. Special elements come later: this and next week.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 01 Jul 2003 12:43:46 pm    Post subject:

cool! to make the flippers stand out, u could make the inside white... just a little idea!
CoBB

Posted: 01 Jul 2003 12:59:10 pm    Post subject:

Yes, that's been discussed on the Maxcoderz board. Unfortunately it would cause the ball to fall through the flippers occasionally (when it's falling fast), because the table image is used as a mask for collision detection. A thickness of three black pixels is required. I could probably draw a write sprite onto the flippers at the very end.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Jul 2003 01:03:46 pm    Post subject:

I don't know how (read:if) this would work in ASM, but maybe you could just erase the white part of the flippers after the collision detection, where the flippers are still all black.
CoBB

Posted: 01 Jul 2003 03:37:25 pm    Post subject:

That's what I said. It would be cumbersome with the current engine, but it might be integrated quite smoothly using the future "interaction engine". We'll see soon.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Jul 2003 04:46:59 pm    Post subject:

r ther any release dates yet?
can i get on a waiting list to have the game emailed to me? (each version and for beta testing)
CoBB

Posted: 02 Jul 2003 01:31:16 am    Post subject:

No. There are already 10 testers--more than enough. I don't set deadlines either.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 02 Jul 2003 01:11:56 pm    Post subject:

good, i hate it when people set themselves deadlines! it makes them seem like they are rushing themselves!
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jul 2003 02:07:53 pm    Post subject:

Not everbody is the same, for example, when I have a project in mind chances are pretty high I'll never get round to even starting it and if I do start it it'll probably be abandoned because I'm terribly lazy and have so many things I want to do (arg!). If I would set deadlines I would probably get some more (read: any) games actually finished.

Hmm, I think I'm going to do some planning tonight.

Last edited by Guest on 02 Jul 2003 02:08:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
CoBB

Posted: 02 Jul 2003 02:47:59 pm    Post subject:

Setting a deadline for yourself is absolutely useless. It makes you feel guilty without any increase in productivity. Smile Deadlines only count when they are connected to an external authority...
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jul 2003 04:27:24 pm    Post subject:

Wow, come to think of it, you're absolutely right.

What does it matter when it's finished as long as you have fun creating it.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 03 Jul 2003 01:57:42 pm    Post subject:

exactly! if u work, and ur boss gives u a deadline, do it! if not, then just have a lot of fun!
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement