This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
United-TI Archives -> TI-Basic

» Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeffrey

Posted: 28 Jun 2003 09:24:35 pm    Post subject:

I am working on converting my text based RPG to a fully graphical one. One where you can move around to different buildings, etc. This game would not be unlike Zelda. I have made a very quick engine that closely mimics the Upbeat engine from ticalc.org. This engine basically moves a dot around in a maze and lets you talk to "people".

So far I have decided that I will make a map that will be shown at the beginning of each level (players could buy stuff here, whatever). Then their campaign begins. But I have no clue what it will be like, so I need ideas. Will it be a battle sequence, or will it use the same engine that the town part did? A little background on the game: it is a comletely mondern game, with realistic weapons and gameplay, no monsters, magic, or supernatural stuff, here. Its like Rambo, except as an rpg. lol.

I also need a random map generator to save space. How would I go about that? I know that there is a maze program in the basic games archives at the cirrus site, but my link isnt working right.

If you have any ideas on the gameplay, please reply.
Babyboy

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Jun 2003 10:50:50 pm    Post subject:

1st of all, forget about the random map thing, if your going to make walls and such you would be better off using sprites or pics.

next, the weapons sys would be pretty easy, have a string for each weapon with its attributes, if you want you can have a special sprite for the weapon that you can superimpose onto a PIC of your battle area, as for the battle area, you on the left, an enemy on the right, your gun superimposrd on, maybe a little sprite for firing graphics, use LBL's for firing, and have GETKEY commands to activate them

Hoper that helped

A little advice from a BabyBoy Laughing
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 28 Jun 2003 11:05:43 pm    Post subject:

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
sry hoper??

Quote:
Hoper that helped

I have a almost finished battle engine that is graphical, kinda, it has a bolted steel look, and the rest is text based like. you have four commands you can choose from that can be changed.

E-mail me at WatchForDaNomes@att.net and we can talk more

also use a pic or some thing to display the map
if you want the help i can make a "maze" using lines but first it needs to be a pic, i tried that with my harvest moon game and it loads in under 2 seconds and can be stored to a pic so there is no slow down.

I also have a random enemy generator so that as they go through the maze they get attacked randomly
Also their stats can be upgraded liek health and attack, accuracy, defence, new weapons, anything

I would like to help if you want it

E-mail me at WatchForDaNomes@att.net and we can talk more
Babyboy

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Jun 2003 11:10:35 pm    Post subject:

Confused A fast graphics engine Confused

confusing a BabyBoy Laughing
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 28 Jun 2003 11:15:02 pm    Post subject:

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
i am confused

like a sprite prgm?

Edit:
opps. the pic prgm, the prgm takes 2 second and a pic about 1/2 the screen.(4 seconds for full screen)

I do not use a prgm to do the work, i do it my self takes about one hr. to do but much more worth the time and is smaller than a pt by pt prgm, i use Line(
About (<(less than) 3000K for a full screen maze)

Last edited by Guest on 28 Jun 2003 11:18:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 28 Jun 2003 11:22:30 pm    Post subject:

.C.
. . ......
. . . .
. ..... .
. ..... .
. . . .

Like that (with c the character and a pic (overhead view))
Jeffrey

Posted: 29 Jun 2003 11:16:02 am    Post subject:

Ok, thanks JesusFreak, I e-mailed u.

See the thing with the sprites and pics are they are extremely unefficient. I have already used up about 2000 bytes with the gui and the engine. I cant afford to waste much more space.

Oh, and JesusFreak, sure I could use your help. I just need someone else to help since I have to get this game out by September (which sounds like a long way) but I have about 10 other projects to do, so sure. Also, if you would like, you could become a member of my TI-83 programming community, Falcon TI. E-mail me at jeffreyjamal01@hotmail.com if you are interested. Also my AIM is WeezerFanJeffrey.

Last edited by Guest on 29 Jun 2003 01:35:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Jun 2003 09:11:01 am    Post subject:

About the battle sequence, use the same engine if you can, if it's too slow then I suggest you do the sequence thing.

As for random map generator, if you want to do a maze I suggest you have a look at one of Maarten's programs called MazeRacer (which you can find on the cirrus site, or click here) which can create fully random mazes that are always solvable. If you're not going for mazes then you could just load some random values in a list like so:
For(X,1,225
RandInt(1,999->LMAP(X
End
Then, when loading the current screen you do this:

current screen->X
LMAP(X)->Rand
For(X,1,10 //10 objects in the screen
RandInt(1,95->A //random x position
RandInt(1,63->B //random y position
RandInt(1,25->C //random object
If C=1://draw tree
If C=2://draw building
//etc
End

Since it uses the same seed if you load the same screen you always have the same objects on that screen, in this code you end up with a list called LMAP with 225 screens, and you could even optimize it more so that 1 number generates an entire map of 225 screens.

Rand->LMAP(1

And then:

screen number->X
LMAP(1->Rand
For(Ø,1,X
RandInt(1,999
End
Ans->Rand
RandInt(1,95->A //random x position
RandInt(1,63->B //random y position
RandInt(1,25->C //random object
If C=1://draw tree
If C=2://draw building
//etc
End

Then you could always add some routines to check if it's not puttnig a tree on top of a house or a routine to create towns, instead of puttnig a building somewhere, put a flag for a town there and generate 10 buildings around it afterwards.

Last edited by Guest on 30 Jun 2003 09:13:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Jeffrey

Posted: 30 Jun 2003 03:23:17 pm    Post subject:

That was entirely helpful! Thank you very much for your time and help!
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 01 Jul 2003 09:40:13 pm    Post subject:

I joined his team (him and me now) and i got a few Qs like:

I started a random map prgm (not really a question)

If i make a city (a flag) how do i save it so that the game knows that there is a city there

also how do i do that check so it doesn't write over a tree, the code is a little different,

ü is -> (store)

Code:
For(X,1,9
RandInt(1,9->W
If W=1
Then
9üX
9üY
End
If W=2
Then
20üX
9üY
End
If W=3
Then
30üX
9üY
End
If W=4
Then
9üX
20üY
End
If W=5
Then
9üX
30üY
End
If W=6
Then
20üX
20üY
End
If W=7
Then
30üX
30üY
End
If W=8
Then
20üX
30üY
End
If W=9
Then
30üX
20üY
End

that way i have a "sprite" like picture that i can put there and do it over 9 times
this is just a part of the code, is there a way to see if w=1 was all ready in use???
(Lists will be used later)

I also made a kewl battle engine which i can let ppl test soon to see if they want changes but Jeffery hasn't told me much about the game yet

Last edited by Guest on 01 Jul 2003 09:41:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jul 2003 06:37:22 am    Post subject:

City:

//standard loading sequence:
current screen->X
LMAP(X)->Rand
For(X,1,30,3
RandInt(1,95->L1(X
RandInt(1,63->L1(X+1
RandInt(1,25->L1(X+2

If L1(X+2)=1:Then //a city !
For(X,X,X+12,3 //generate 4 buildings (12/3=4)
L1(X)+RandInt(-40,40->L1(X //position of building is relative to position of city
L1(X+1)+RandInt(-20,20->L1(X+1
RandInt(2,6->L1(X+2 //save a building, 2=house, 3=town center, 4=guards etc
//draw building
End
//draw object
End

Check if place is free:
Now, you could do this by checking the list but this is slow, very slow, so you could use a string if you did it on the homescreen (1 object takes 1 place) but on the graphscreen every object occupies a lot of pixels so I suggest using pixeltest.

Let's say every object has a pixel turned on right in the center (done so testing if it is free for character and other objects is easy fast) and that every object is 6*6 pixels.

current screen->X
LMAP(X)->Rand
Repeat Ø //generate new position until it is free
RandInt(1,15->L1(X //90/6=15, so there can be 15 objects from left to right of the screen
RandInt(1,10->L1(X+1 //60/6=10, so there can be 10 objects from top to bottom of the screen
RandInt(1,25->L1(X+2
0=Pxl-Test(6L1(X+1)+3,6L1(X)+3->Ø //check if other object has been drawn here
End
//if place is free
If L1(X+2)=1: //generate town, use pixel test again for each building.
If L1(X+2)=7: //draw tree, remember that 2 through 6 are buildings for the city and that the coordinaes stored in L1 have to be multiplied by 6 and a pixel must be on in the center of the sprite
//etc
End

Last edited by Guest on 02 Jul 2003 06:39:46 am; edited 1 time in total
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 02 Jul 2003 05:25:06 pm    Post subject:

now were getting somewhere, a Demo of the battle engine will be out soon, (2 out the 5 have the pictures done but all other is done)

I tried the above but can't get it to work very well so i will send it to you, we are have Tree, rock, grass, and a house(might be a city later and is limted to one) tiles that 10 load in under 3 seconds (or four) and 20 in under 6 (or 7)
what other tiles do you sugest
i am trying to make a moving sand, water tile but haven't started yet
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 03 Jul 2003 12:18:15 pm    Post subject:

whats a GUI?
james

Posted: 03 Jul 2003 12:45:48 pm    Post subject:

I really dont think that a fully graphical basic game should be made.I am speaking out of experience,i have made a fully grapchical dbz rpg(sry i lost it,i would have given it to u)
and it toke up way to much mem and time.Also the graphics are really hard to do,unless u have the unlimited pic software(dont know what it is called,havent touched basic in a year).This game that i was making in basic was probably the most important factor for me to learn asm.
If u need help with anything,i will give u a hand but i suggest learning asm and doing it then.
good luck Very Happy
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Jul 2003 01:23:33 pm    Post subject:

GUI = Graphical User Interface
It's something the user sees and can interact with, graphical menu's are GUI's.

As for fully graphical basic games, it's not that hard at all, when you're making pong it can be very easily done to make it fully graphical but when you're making an rpg it can also be done, just requires a bit more work. In fact I'm working on a rpg which is going to be fully graphical, I've got everything in my head how I'm going to do it exept for the combat system and multiplayer function which I probably won't add. It's still very subject to changes, espesially the character generation and buildings, which might be replaced with graphical menu's. I also haven't chosen which way I'm going to do enemy's but I've got some ideas ready.
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 03 Jul 2003 03:33:22 pm    Post subject:

do you need help, i can send you a copy of my fully graphical battle engine which i can help you make a new one based on mine and it would be kelw, i can send it tomarrow if you want, it is almost finished.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Jul 2003 04:09:48 pm    Post subject:

Nope don't need any help, but I'd appreciate it if you could send a commented version of that battle engine (if it's like where you walk around with your character and press a key to poke with your sword and it hits the enemy and stuff) or just give some theory behind it (preferably just tell some of the theory/thoughts behind it so I can learn it without having to plow thorugh pages of code.

Last edited by Guest on 03 Jul 2003 04:10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeffrey

Posted: 03 Jul 2003 04:17:01 pm    Post subject:

Well, basically we are using a three pronged attack on the game, using 3 engines to be unified as one. The way we are doing it is one random map engine, a battle sequence engine, and a character engine that moves the character around a map. Basically the random map generator would create a map, then the character engine moves the plot that looks like a square around on the map. Because basic is EXTREMELY slow, it prohobits us from using a custom sprite that actually looks like a person.

Once you engage in a battle it would take you to the battle engine, which is like advance wars. Thats kinda like how the game runs, advance wars for gba.

We dont have the character engine done yet, it just needs customized to fit the random map. But once we finish it, we'll send it.

I recommend using text for your character on the graph because it only takes up one token. A square made out of pixels would take up many more tokens that the one character that looks like a square. Its either the square, or a lone pixel, so the square is obviusly the better choice!
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Jul 2003 04:21:19 pm    Post subject:

Never mind then, I'm not making an rts. I'm going to do it like I described earlyer but I haven't given the battle sequence any thought at all yet, it'll take a while before I get to that anyway. In fact i'll probably change the entire development document a couple of times.

As for the sprites, basic isn't that slow and I've had wizards with staves, shoes and hats running around as if they forgot to take of their boots of speed.
Jeffrey

Posted: 03 Jul 2003 04:25:02 pm    Post subject:

Lol. How did you get them to go that fast and still use pixel test?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement