This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Jul 2004 12:05:39 am    Post subject:

So, with the coming out of the TI-84+ (and no, it's not turning gay), is there any way that people would be able to write programs that can make it interactable (is this a word?) with other USB-related things?
For example, there are some USB printers out there, so would there be a way to write a program so that you could hook up your calc to the printer and print your "Excel" sheets, or Notefolio stuff?
Or even (and I am fully aware that this would be just for fun), would there be a way to make USB mouses work with it? Or instead of buying a TI-Keyboard, would there be a way to write a program to be able to hook up a USB keyboard to it?
Could you put in those USB expansion packsº, or even infrared stuff*?
The possibilities are endless!! But is it possible?

º

Last edited by Guest on 01 Jul 2004 12:10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Jul 2004 07:55:43 am    Post subject:

Everything is possible given enough effort. But these would require a program/app to work. The mouse in particular is mostly useless.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Jul 2004 08:05:32 am    Post subject:

why would the mouse be useless? Kermmartian is working on PS/2 mouse support for Doors CS, and that works fine. Maybe someone can write a similar routine for the USB mouse.

I even think TI is going to release a 84+ Notefolio for USB keyboards (of course, only with their keyboards, so they can make a lot of money from USB keyboard sales too).
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Jul 2004 11:11:07 am    Post subject:

But the mouse would only work for that program/app.

Maybe I should write a shell for the 84+ and include USB mouse support. Everyone seems to be writing a shell these days. Of course, since I don't even have a mouse for my laptop, I have no idea how to do it.
Brazucs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Jul 2004 12:55:29 pm    Post subject:

I don't see why a mouse would be useful... especially since the screen is so tiny! Mouses are only good for BIG screens... I was just using that as an eample of the USB compatible hardware...
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 01 Jul 2004 01:15:35 pm    Post subject:

Unfortunately this would not work (btw I am Kerm Martian, 2 words). THe USB-on-the-go is not a powered socket, which peripherals require and computers provide. When you connect your calc to a computer, the comp provides the juice.
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 01 Jul 2004 03:02:05 pm    Post subject:

perhaps it would be possible to make a power USB plug. A little thingy with USB in and USB out and a power cable with a transformer on the other end. This way you could plug the USB power plug into the calc and the other device into the power plug, so the other device would suck energy from the powerplug instead of the TI.
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 01 Jul 2004 03:58:20 pm    Post subject:

Yeah Kerm is correct, it is a non-powered port. BUT i wouldnt say that its impossible. You could just make a little adapter or something.

Would be neat to have Smile.
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 01 Jul 2004 05:05:52 pm    Post subject:

That was what I was trying to say as well, perhaps one could make an adapter / power cabel.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Jul 2004 05:50:30 pm    Post subject:

Yes, then even less people would use those devices since not only would you require a program but also a special cable.
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 01 Jul 2004 06:38:36 pm    Post subject:

Some of this can probably be made, but which one of you wants to go through the trouble of actually making it?
agility
Calc Spammer

Calc Guru

Posted: 01 Jul 2004 07:41:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
THe USB-on-the-go is not a powered socket, which peripherals require and computers provide.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! I was hoping to make so many cool things with that... How did you figure that one out?

Quote:
Some of this can probably be made, but which one of you wants to go through the trouble of actually making it?

I might. Do you think routing the power from the calc's batteries to the USB port with a 5v regulator or zener diode and add a switch to it so it would only work when the switch is on so it doesn't constantly drain the batteries, or do you think that would overload it completely?
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 02 Jul 2004 03:38:27 pm    Post subject:

What you're talking about sounds remarkably like a TICI 1.0 hub Smile
Perhaps I could create a mod version with USB power support...
agility
Calc Spammer

Calc Guru

Posted: 02 Jul 2004 07:50:15 pm    Post subject:

But what about my idea? Do you think it would overload the batteries?

Also, the TICI mod should be very simple for you... get the USB type B connector or whatever fits into the USB port on the calc, get it's pinouts, and attach a 5v power source (or 3 AA or AAA batteries) to the positive and ground pins of the connector, and there you go! Now, you're only problem is... I'm already building it!
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jul 2004 09:23:33 pm    Post subject:

I doubt the batteries would get overloaded for the simple reason that a mouse uses less batteries than the TI. But I might be wrong...
Brazucs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jul 2004 11:01:12 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
THe USB-on-the-go is not a powered socket, which peripherals require and computers provide.

No, not all things are USB powered... little things like mouses are, but not big things like printers. You could still do the printer thing and anything that has a power cable, right?
agility
Calc Spammer

Calc Guru

Posted: 03 Jul 2004 10:44:26 am    Post subject:

Why would you want to hook up a printer directly to your calc? If it were like a Gameboy Printer I would understand.

Quote:
I doubt the batteries would get overloaded for the simple reason that a mouse uses less batteries than the TI.

I was thinking more along the lines of a light that pulls 5v off of a battery. How fast do you think the battery would drain?
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 03 Jul 2004 02:22:22 pm    Post subject:

I've tried it - surprisingly, it doesn't dr5ain as much as you'd think.
NextPerception

Posted: 03 Jul 2004 03:03:43 pm    Post subject:

Wow. This sounds like it could open some possibilities.
on the other hand it all depends on how ti wants to make the pinout on the usb port.

btw just to let everyone know where i have been. I was at summer camp for a week. I bet no even noticed though.
agility
Calc Spammer

Calc Guru

Posted: 03 Jul 2004 03:38:10 pm    Post subject:

Nope. No one.

Quote:
I've tried it - surprisingly, it doesn't dr5ain as much as you'd think.

How did you hook it up? Directly to the batteries? Oh, that's right, you're working on CSE... I get it now...

BTW, where would you get plexiglass small enough to fit into the calc?

Last edited by Guest on 03 Jul 2004 03:38:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement