This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
Raster

Posted: 07 Jun 2004 08:58:29 pm    Post subject:

I have been thinking, could someone (if there rich engough Razz ) take mutiple calculators and take the best parts out of each one (I mean prossesors and ram/rom) and put them all togeather in one unit? Confused
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 Jun 2004 02:08:19 am    Post subject:

No need to buy the calculators, most of the parts are available at cheaper prices on the internet.

I guess, yes it could be possible if whoever attempts it is smart enough and knows enough about the different parts and how to make efficient circuits.

If someone decided to make them, I wouldn't mind bying one Laughing
Ray Kremer

Posted: 08 Jun 2004 03:22:48 am    Post subject:

You can make one yourself at home. All you need is a TI-89 Titanium, an HP 49G+, and some duct tape.

Or you could wait and see if this thing ever sees the light of day.
MissingIntellect

Posted: 08 Jun 2004 10:50:05 am    Post subject:

That does give me the idea of making a beowulf cluster of calculators... Laughing Evil or Very Mad
Raster

Posted: 08 Jun 2004 04:04:51 pm    Post subject:

With that colored screen calculator they already have those there called PDA's. you can by a compaq ipaq for about $300-$400 bucks.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 08 Jun 2004 06:17:35 pm    Post subject:

just buy a cheap laptop... Wink
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Jun 2004 11:56:12 am    Post subject:

Or save some more and buy a good laptop...
X1011

Posted: 09 Jun 2004 08:44:14 pm    Post subject:

Or a better desktop...
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Jun 2004 08:59:42 am    Post subject:

i don't think they would like it if you pulled out a whole desktop computer out of your bag for calculating 1+1 in maths. And it's not really portable of course. Laughing
X1011

Posted: 10 Jun 2004 12:41:40 pm    Post subject:

Yes, I was trying to point out that same problem if you pulled out a laptop.
NextPerception

Posted: 10 Jun 2004 04:37:11 pm    Post subject:

If someone had enough money they wouldn't even need parts from the current calculators they could just design there own calculator and operating system then order the parts and it would probably be cheaper than buying all the different types of calculators because those things are expensive... (were calculators are concerned atleast).
I would just design a hp emulator (my knowledge in the world of hp calculators is very much lacking/ there might already be one for all I know) for the palm pilot and then load both VTI and the hp emulator onto the palm pilot
Ray Kremer

Posted: 11 Jun 2004 12:26:33 am    Post subject:

leofox wrote:
i don't think they would like it if you pulled out a whole desktop computer out of your bag for calculating 1+1 in maths. And it's not really portable of course.  Laughing

But if that's as complicated as the math you're doing gets, you don't even need a graphing calculator, much less hard core PC math software.
Raster

Posted: 15 Jun 2004 02:09:25 pm    Post subject:

hey Im going to be getting 2 TI-83+ calculators so maybe I can experiment with that a bit kinda take parts out of one and wire it up to the other so there is more ram and rom maybe better prossesing "maybe"...well Ill just experiment. Very Happy
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 15 Jun 2004 03:37:55 pm    Post subject:

Dual processing? Confused
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Jun 2004 12:00:37 am    Post subject:

Eh. Sounds like reinventing the wheel to me. It's really one of the those situations where it would just be easier to build a new platform from scratch and reuse most of the original ROM image. But since that's not the point, I'd imagine the first step would be to pull up any datasheets on your calc's processor to see if it's possible to modify its key features without affecting to many of the existing circuit traces (rare, but possible). TI system boards seem to be sorely under-researched in the community --even at ticalc-- so this would be a huge development.

Anyway, bar RAM size, I say most TI calcs are already well-equiped for the job. If there were one thing I'd change about my TI-82, I'd probably upgrade the clock source to a more stable quartz type; to limit the "low battery fatigue" effect. Outside of that external mods should meet any other demands.

Partial TI-85 schematic:
http://www.ticalc.org/pub/text/hardware/schem85.gif
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement