This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
Tyler

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Jun 2004 02:40:43 pm    Post subject:

I can't install ion on my 83 plus silver for some reason. It will send, and I run pgrmION, it says "Ion Installed" Then I run pgrmA and it clears the screen and prints "Done"! I have OS116 and it won't work, i'm bound to try an older version of ion, 1.6 didn't work...

TSE won't work either!!! GRRRR!

Last edited by Guest on 06 Jun 2004 02:45:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
JeePee

Posted: 06 Jun 2004 03:14:33 pm    Post subject:

Try making a back-up, clear all mem, and try again?
Tyler

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Jun 2004 03:26:59 pm    Post subject:

Screw that, I resetted all the memory. The arc,ram, the whole 9 yards!
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Jun 2004 01:57:20 am    Post subject:

use nimbusOS, that supports Ion.
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Jun 2004 02:40:01 am    Post subject:

Do none of the above, waste of time and energy simply. Read the readme! - Ion won't work if there are no Ion programs installed. So install away....
Keith Pierce

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Jun 2004 06:52:30 am    Post subject:

Why not just use mirageOs? its supports basic, ion, and mirageos! It was recently undated and then u will have space on your calc for other stuff instead of ion! Confused
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Jun 2004 07:06:04 am    Post subject:

I say, if you need MiragOS otherwise use Ion. Ion is much smaller than MirageOS and getting MirageOS just to run basic .... If you don't need to use MirageOS progs, don't put it on your calculator.

If you do, well good for you, put it on and get rid of ion. :)
b__

Posted: 07 Jun 2004 09:33:43 am    Post subject:

MirageOS doesn't really take up any ram because its an app.
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Jun 2004 10:10:56 am    Post subject:

I now but it takes up a lot of flash ROM. To be exact MirageOS takes up 16KB ROM, where as ION only takes up 97B RAM - BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

The 16KB can be used for other things, and since ION also is capable of running archived programs, you could just archive your ION-progs. Choosing ION over MirageOS will save you 16287B ROM. Wink
Keith Pierce

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Jun 2004 10:28:31 am    Post subject:

If I had to pick which one to use, it would be mirageos. You wont really notice the difference in memory, but in ion you will. I am not saying MirageOs is better than ion, but its easier to use, and u can do more things with mirageos that u cant do with ion.

*just my two cents* Neutral
b__

Posted: 07 Jun 2004 11:47:16 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I now but it takes up a lot of flash ROM. To be exact MirageOS takes up 16KB ROM, where as ION only takes up 97B RAM - BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

The 16KB can be used for other things, and since ION also is capable of running archived programs, you could just archive your ION-progs. Choosing ION over MirageOS will save you 16287B ROM.

Well i'm not sure how much flash rom the regular 83+ has, but the Silver edition has 1.5 megabytes. Theres no way i could ever use that much up in my life, even if i downloaded every single app on ticalc.org.
But i can see your point if it doesnt have a lot of flash.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Jun 2004 11:48:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Keith Pierce

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 Jun 2004 01:21:50 pm    Post subject:

Its just one app space though.....How is that alot of flash rom? Wink
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Jun 2004 01:41:09 pm    Post subject:

The TI 83 plus has only 160 KB archive space, only 10 app pages. A shell that takes up 1/10 of you total memory is quite big. See it as a necesarry computer program that takes 10 GB. SO if you can choose to have the same thing for 500 MB, which do you choose?

I use NimbusOS, of course Laughing
wrigley

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 Jun 2004 01:55:33 pm    Post subject:

(what a lot of spelling mistakes I made in those posts, glad my English teacher didn't see those Very Happy )

regular 83+s only have 10 app spaces and some apps other than MirageOS take up to 3 of those app spaces (could be more just haven't seen them). If you have anything archived that will also limit the number of app spaces.

Therefore I was thinking if you don't need the other features of MirageOS, it would be a waste of space. But I think MirageOS is a great shell, I have both it and ION on my 83+SE.

I have MirageOS because I have MirageOS progs, and I have ION because my friends like my ION progs, but do not have the room on their 83+s for MirageOS.

The room that was once there has been filled by preinstalled apps that they don't know what are for but haven't had the guts to delete because they weren't able to make backups of them and didn't know if they might need them sometime and the last bit of room has been filled with games like "Bubble Bobble".

Anyway choose what you like :D

EDIT: Sorry I was too slow writing this to see you had already written it leofox

Last edited by Guest on 08 Jun 2004 01:56:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Keith Pierce

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 Jun 2004 04:30:20 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, you are right! I wasnt really trying to say MirageOS is better its just i used that and i find it easier. Others may think opposite. So what it really comes down to is the person and what they want!
MissingIntellect

Posted: 08 Jun 2004 06:21:11 pm    Post subject:

A shell dumping you back to the TI-OS (after it's installed) is always a sure sign you have no compatible programs. Neutral
rebel.socom

Posted: 09 Jun 2004 10:54:13 pm    Post subject:

USE PLASMA i think its better than anything else Plasma is the one that come up with the idea of not having to un/archive every time a program is ran, this prevates the Garbage collecte warning. plus plasma itself can be in archive so u only need 131 bytes of ram to realy use it. I think its the best shell but mirage did takes some of its ideas so mirage is a good chosie to.

u can get plasmahere
Keith Pierce

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Jun 2004 11:58:13 am    Post subject:

I am not really saying that there is one ultimate shell. becuase there really isnt. Yes MirageOS has some advantages over other shells and other shells haves the advantage of miragesOS.
X1011

Posted: 10 Jun 2004 12:17:20 pm    Post subject:

rebel.socom wrote:
USE PLASMA i think its better than anything else Plasma is the one that come up with the idea of not having to un/archive every time a program is ran, this prevates the Garbage collecte warning. plus plasma itself can be in archive so u only need 131 bytes of ram to realy use it. I think its the best shell but mirage did takes some of its ideas so mirage is a good chosie to.

u can get plasmahere

But plasma doesn't write back, so no high scores, no saved games.
rebel.socom

Posted: 10 Jun 2004 12:22:51 pm    Post subject:

Keith Pierce wrote:
I am not really saying that there is one ultimate shell. becuase there really isnt.  Yes  MirageOS has some advantages over other shells and other shells haves the advantage of miragesOS.

thats why i think ppl should stop making shells. there enough shells for each kind of sintuation and for everybodies needs. and sry if ur making a shell but i dont think anybody needs another shell unless it task swithes.

Quote:
But plasma doesn't write back, so no high scores, no saved games.

thats why i have mirage also. not all programs need to write back.

Last edited by Guest on 10 Jun 2004 12:27:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement