This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
ducttape_87

Posted: 10 May 2004 07:05:44 pm    Post subject:

I have been finished with this for months now, and I decided I might as well give more people the opportunity to see it.

This game is basically a fairly large battle based "quest" to level up and get strong. You will fight a bunch of nicely drawn enemies in four locations. You will start out battling rats and gnomes, and then sea serpents, shadow riders, and rock biters when you get stronger. There are more enemies than this of course. You can use various items and spells as you progress.

This is guaranteed to turn hours of school boredom into hours of fun and enjoyment. People at school that I don't even really know ended up obtaining and liking this game. So at least try it out. I think its one of the better BASIC battle engines.

Go here for screens and down load: my download page
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 May 2004 08:14:22 am    Post subject:

What's the difference between this battle engine and the other millions of FF/menu based TiBasic battle engines?

Also, I didn't see any nicely drawn enemies, do you meat them at higher levels?
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 11 May 2004 08:32:27 am    Post subject:

The shadow rider enemy is pretty tight. You don't meet him for a while. I'll get a screenshot if I find him today.

-J
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 May 2004 08:34:45 am    Post subject:

it looks kewl! I hope it's not that BASIC-slow Neutral
ducttape_87

Posted: 11 May 2004 01:47:12 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
What's the difference between this battle engine and the other millions of FF/menu based TiBasic battle engines?

This one is actually fun to play. The whole game is fighting through this engine.

Quote:
Also, I didn't see any nicely drawn enemies, do you meat them at higher levels?

Gee thanks... Some of the lower level monsters are not as cool as others since they were my first drawings. Enemies further in the game like the sea serpent and shadow rider are nicer. I say the drawings are nice cause they are large fairly detailed drawings rather than dumb 8x8 sprites like in many games.

Quote:
I hope it's not that BASIC-slow

It gets slow if you play along time, but it's not too slow. And battles are not super long and drawn out to the point they are boring like in other games.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 May 2004 02:19:49 pm    Post subject:

ducttape_87 wrote:
Quote:

This one is actually fun to play. The whole game is fighting through this engine.

Wow, that's some great unbiased arguments, I'm sold. And isn't the whole point of a battle engine to handle the fighting?

Quote:
Gee thanks...  Some of the lower level monsters are not as cool as others since they were my first drawings. Enemies further in the game like the sea serpent and shadow rider are nicer. I say the drawings are nice cause they are large fairly detailed drawings rather than dumb 8x8 sprites like in many games.
Any screenshots?

Quote:
It gets slow if you play along time
How does that work?
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 May 2004 02:43:27 pm    Post subject:

i tried it, and it's really good, for a BASIC game. The only bad thing i've found 'til now is that the magic, hp and enemy hp bars need to be redrawn every turn, that takes some time.

And it gets boring after a while.

Last edited by Guest on 11 May 2004 02:44:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 May 2004 04:00:38 pm    Post subject:

The bars do not need to be redrawn every turn. How about you erase whatever gets taken away from hp/magic, and draw in what gets added? Much faster and almost as easy.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 11 May 2004 05:44:20 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
Quote:
How does that work?

Too many Goto and Lbl statements can slow down a Basic game after you play it for a while. That's why all of my games use Repeat and While only, no Goto's.

-J
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 May 2004 05:47:07 pm    Post subject:

Also, Lbl/Goto's are slow. Conclusion? Don't use them.
ducttape_87

Posted: 11 May 2004 10:05:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Any screenshots?

Simply click the link in my first post.... wait here I'll make it even easier.

Quote:
Also, Lbl/Goto's are slow. Conclusion? Don't use them.

I made this program several months ago, actually I think I started it at the end of last year. When I did this I did not know much about optimizing. Now that I'm done working on the game I don't feel liking spending the time to optimize such a big program.

Quote:
And isn't the whole point of a battle engine to handle the fighting?

Yes, and the whole point of my game is to fight through my engine. I was orginally just making an engine for the sake of making one, until I discovered playing it was fun and decided making a game based solely on it.

And so what if I'm biased? I had fun making and playing this game, so naturally I figure other people will to.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2004 08:06:47 am    Post subject:

Jedd wrote:
Arcane Wizard wrote:
Quote:
How does that work?
Too many Goto and Lbl statements can slow down a Basic game after you play it for a while.

As in memory problems or just a tios problem with handling lbls?

Quote:
Simply click the link in my first post.... wait here I'll make it even easier.
Of the so called better drawn enemies.

Quote:
Yes, and the whole point of my game is to fight through my engine. I was orginally just making an engine for the sake of making one, until I discovered playing it was fun and decided making a game based solely on it.

And so what if I'm biased? I had fun making and playing this game, so naturally I figure other people will to.
But what part of it makes it "actually fun to play"? What makes it different, original? What makes the player stick to your game instead of playing another? Does it have unique character properties? Unheard of weaponry? A huge intricate array of magical spells? Several very original player classes?
ducttape_87

Posted: 12 May 2004 09:38:12 am    Post subject:

another pic

Arcane, why don't you just try to play the game instead of bitching at me?

EDIT:

Sry, forgot geocities sucks

Use This

Last edited by Guest on 12 May 2004 09:44:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2004 10:11:18 am    Post subject:

I'm not bitching at you, I'm just asking you a couple of very simple questions.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2004 10:28:14 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Of the so called better drawn enemies.

Quote:
As in memory problems or just a tios problem with handling lbls?

Quote:
But what part of it makes it "actually fun to play"? What makes it different, original? What makes the player stick to your game instead of playing another? Does it have unique character properties? Unheard of weaponry? A huge intricate array of magical spells? Several very original player classes?

Quote:
Wow, that's some great unbiased arguments, I'm sold. And isn't the whole point of a battle engine to handle the fighting?

You are bitching Arcane. You saying it slow, the drawings suck, and that it's unoriginal.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2004 12:38:35 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
You are bitching Arcane.
NO

"so called better enemies" means the same thing as "better enemies" it's like quoting somebody. If you call the AI in your game "awesomely original" and I haven't had the pleasure of checking, I'd say "so called awesomely original AI". You're just referring to the fact that person referred to the subject like that.

What's wrong with asking if labels slowing things down is a tios problem or wether it's caused by goto's in open statements!? (loops, if..then..else..end) Am I suddenly banned from learning about the TiOS or TiBasic in general!?

And when did I say it was unoriginal? I'm just curious as to what makes this game different and original. Is asking developers for creativity (or at least admitting they copied their game from someone else if such is the case) and originality offensive all of a sudden!?

And what's wrong with commenting on somebody arguing his game is better because, and I quote, "This one is actually fun to play" because obviously that's not much of an argument.

ALSO, if I recall correctly, and I do, I've never said anything about this game being bad, or boring, or sucky, in fact, the only one to have said such a thing so far is you, leofox, so quit bitching please.

The so called (OH FUCKING NOES! I SAID SO CALLED!) "Shadow Rider" looks better, I admit, though there's some things that could be improved. If you quit bitching I might just point these things out to you and help you make better games/graphics in the future.

Last edited by Guest on 12 May 2004 12:47:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2004 01:08:16 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
"so called better enemies" means the same thing as "better enemies" it's like quoting somebody. If you call the AI in your game "awesomely original" and I haven't had the pleasure of checking, I'd say "so called awesomely original AI". You're just referring to the fact that person referred to the subject like that.

"so called" can sound very sarcastic, but i think that was a misunderstanding
Keith Pierce

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 May 2004 01:34:45 pm    Post subject:

This project sounds like a really good one. You barely find any good games in basic that are rpg.

Just wanna let you know though to make a really good basic game why dont you use some asm in it.

Kinda like with FFTOM made by a guy in maxcoderz?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2004 01:45:59 pm    Post subject:

leofox wrote:
Quote:

"so called" can sound very sarcastic, but i think that was a misunderstanding

You think correctly.

Quote:
You barely find any good games in basic that are rpg.
You can say that again.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 May 2004 02:00:53 pm    Post subject:

If it was more than just battle, and with more enemies, it could be very good.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement