This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Mar 2004 03:55:08 pm    Post subject:

It was the government I tell ya! Evil or Very Mad

I think the expander device is exempt for two reasons. Firstly, it uses 2 independent battery sources --in addition to the "button" cell. Basically all 3 batteries would have to fail at once. Plus, the E.D. is still working normally. But I might be a *little* biased here. It might be possible that the E.D. makes the calc more vunerable to noise energy. Anyway, here are the theories...

-------------------
Static: **
Expander Problem: **
Stray Particles: **
Magnetic Field: *
Spy Satellite: *
Random Reset: *
Random Time-Space Event: *
-------------------
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 21 Mar 2004 11:03:16 pm    Post subject:

If you altered your SE, then it would have to be some kind of spy sattelite, since TI has many extra doo-hickies in them. But, if the OS works on both versions, then we'd have reason to suspect that both versions are in on some kind of stuff.

My guess is that your calc just happened to have some kind of radioactive dust particle enter your calc during production, and has wedged itself into the circuit board. Over time, it began reacting with the hardware, and, with a careful zapping with the spy sattelite, it communicated with the radioactive dust, which in turn, issued the "rst 0h" instruction to clear RAM.
---------------------
Or, it could just be the F.S.S. doing its job of being a predetermined events facilitator.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Mar 2004 05:25:55 pm    Post subject:

Since my calc has been through doxens of these and never suffered harm, it must be something your calc has that Vera doesn't that is causing the reset - hence the E.D.
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 22 Mar 2004 09:37:57 pm    Post subject:

I vote for Static+Expander.

It could easily have been a combo of both.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Mar 2004 09:50:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
It could easily have been a combo of both.

This is what I'm guessing happened too. Also, I've noticed lately the the E.D. seems to output more radio (AM) noise than I remember; especially when it's plugged into the wall. Another possibility might be keypresses--which might've happened while my backpack was on the conveyor belt. Maybe the case got squashed enough for a few buttons to get mashed. Evil or Very Mad

-------------------
E.D. Problem: ****
Static: ***
Stray Particles: ***
Spy Satellite: **
Magnetic Field: *
Random Reset: *
Random Time-Space Event: *
-------------------
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Apr 2004 06:07:32 pm    Post subject:

yeah, my calc get buttons pressed all the time through the case in my backpack.
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 02 Apr 2004 06:39:04 pm    Post subject:

I think that the expander acted as a large antenna that focused any emi/xray/rf energy through the calc's power traces, thus clearing the RAM.
Tyler

Advanced Member

Posted: 22 Apr 2004 07:15:51 pm    Post subject:

Wow, you're all way past my complexity level. E.D.? I'd think static + and the battery expander at best.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Apr 2004 10:07:58 am    Post subject:

what's the big problem about your RAM being cleared? My ASM games clear my RAM every few hours.

Though I like the idea of a spy sattelite that connects with the Silver Edition, mostly because i have a normal TI-83 Plus, so there is at least one thing better about the non Silver model. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement