This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Mar 2004 10:22:34 pm    Post subject:

Evil or Very Mad The Crime:

I just came back from a plane trip to Washington D.C. recently. As an avid programmer, I decided to take my calculator along on the trip for development reasons. On the way back, I passed through airport security ahead of schedule, and decided to make the most of my time and write a short prog. That's when I decovered by calc had been reset!

:evil: The Setting:

The calculator was in my sight the whole time and was just fine the same morning. Plus, I'm still using the Expansion Device, so it had 2 independent battery sources running, in addition to the miniature 'button cell'. I tested this device extensively but I was never able to reproduce this effect.

:evil: Theory:

I suspect an X-ray machine cleared by RAM. Or an EMI field within these machines to be precise. My backpack went though a number of these devices during that time. Luckily nothing of importance was in RAM when this happened. But I'm curious to know if anyone else has witnessed this.

Any theories? I'm donning my foil hat as I speak. Evil or Very Mad
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 16 Mar 2004 10:45:46 pm    Post subject:

Hmmmmmmm very interesting. I might ask my physics teacher about that. And next time anyone goes on a plane trip, bring your calc to test it out!

Btw was the calc on or off when you put it through?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Mar 2004 10:56:27 pm    Post subject:

It was off when it happend. And it had some pretty fresh batteries too. I should also mention it went though the smaller "carry-ons" X-ray with the conveyor belt, not the cargo type that ruins your film.

:: Readjusts foil hat :: Evil or Very Mad
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Mar 2004 04:41:06 am    Post subject:

Could have been static, my math teacher's calc keeps resetting sometimes when he picks it up and he's wearing a wollen sweater. (and happens to touch the link port thing)

Last edited by Guest on 17 Mar 2004 10:08:34 am; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Mar 2004 09:42:47 am    Post subject:

I have traveled on airplanes many times and have not had my calc reset. (0 resets after over 30 X-rays). Could there be another problem? Maybe the expansion device caused it to function differently?
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Mar 2004 03:24:39 pm    Post subject:

Sir Robin wrote:
Could there be another problem? Maybe the expansion device caused it to function differently?

I'd say.

Maybe the expansion device caused the calculator to become more sensitive to any xrays or special electromagnetic fields?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Mar 2004 04:39:38 pm    Post subject:

I suppose it's possible the expander might've "sensitized" the calculator to radio/magnetic interference. I'll try testing for it this weekend. But something still puzzles me: How did the government get plans for the expander device? Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Guest on 17 Mar 2004 04:39:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 17 Mar 2004 05:13:11 pm    Post subject:

About the foil hats, and x-rays, and airplanes, I wonder if they would arrest you for wearing a tinfoil hat on an airplane... :lol:

ok, back on topic... I would expect it was the x-rays + the expander, but i don't know...
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Mar 2004 09:15:49 am    Post subject:

Nobody willing to think it might have been static?
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Mar 2004 11:43:25 am    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
Nobody willing to think it might have been static?

Does static come from an X-Ray machine? I dunno, but it shouldn't really.
Something strange on the electromagnetic spectrum caused the reset, and methinks the expander pack allows the calc to recieve more of it.

Where would static electricity be on the electromagnetic spectrum (if present?)
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Mar 2004 03:49:23 pm    Post subject:

Why would it have to be caused by the x-ray machine? Static can come from practially anything.

And it's probably in the same area as normal electricity.

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Mar 2004 08:08:12 pm    Post subject:

X-Ray machines cause radiation of Alpha particles I think if it would be at the airport so the radiation would be a lot less tense. If it does exist in the x-ray machines at the airport like the one the check your luggage does when you have to take it to that gigantic a thing when bags are checked, or sometimes they ask you to.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Mar 2004 10:07:11 pm    Post subject:

I did more some research on the topic. From the looks of things, its highly unlikley the Xray machine could've produced a feild strong enough to affect the calc. It looks like I'll have to find another conspiracy!

Now foil hats in airports? That's an interesting question--I've been thinking about this one all day. I think a foil hat might actually be allowable (they don't mention it in the FAA rules). I wonder what they'd say if they stopped you. Very Happy
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Mar 2004 11:13:45 am    Post subject:

Arg! It be static I say!
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Mar 2004 02:16:11 pm    Post subject:

Bzzzt-chaaakchazzzzz.

Ooops. Dead calc.

Could it be that TI has hidden special hardware in all these calcs so that whenever they want, they can beam information from their sattelite to your calc to cause it to reset? It's a global conspiracy, I tell ya! GLOBAL! Neutral

~Ahem... it's just static.
EEDOK

Posted: 19 Mar 2004 02:59:25 pm    Post subject:

Or it could be one of those resets that happen for no apparent reason. That or murphys law..
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Mar 2004 01:17:14 am    Post subject:

I changed my mind! I'm not giving up on my conspiracy theory! Laughing

About static electricity.. I used to have a problem with a particular type of treadmill, where touching the display--even a plastic part--would cause the whole thing to reset! Anyway, here are theories I counted so far...
-------------------
Static: **
Magnetic Field: *
Alpha Particles: *
Spy Satellite: *
Expander Problem: **
Random Reset: *
-------------------
Any other theories? Evil or Very Mad
Notepad_Gamer

Posted: 20 Mar 2004 10:43:05 pm    Post subject:

An unnaturally pointy air molecule entered the link port and hit an important wire. Then another slammed into the broken wire to put it back into place.

OR

Quantum mechanics caused the calculator to pop out into an alternate universe in which batteries cannot function, resetting the RAM, then popped back into our universe, right at the same spot.

EDIT: Shall we move this thread to the Humor forum?

Last edited by Guest on 20 Mar 2004 10:44:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 20 Mar 2004 11:46:51 pm    Post subject:

I vote for static... Confused
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Mar 2004 01:27:18 pm    Post subject:

More likely an expander problem.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement