This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 19 Jul 2003 12:10:03 am    Post subject:

yes, u try writing a fairly large and useful ASM prgm without a single jp, or jr (or cheating and loading the new value into the PC either!)
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Jul 2003 04:18:13 am    Post subject:

IntrnalDsK wrote:
There are an awful lot of BMP,GIF,PCX routines out there...

Yes, and bmp has the easyest format so I recommend using that.
IntrnalDsK

Posted: 03 Aug 2003 02:23:37 pm    Post subject:

But isn't that the slowest?

(this thread is almost a zombie)
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 03 Aug 2003 02:41:20 pm    Post subject:

Actually as far as I know BMP is the fastest, there's no unformatting to be done, just read the colour code and draw the pixel, no need to decode the entire file. (I'm not 100% sure on this, makes sense with what I know of bmp's in mind but if anybody wnat to say I'm wrong, go ahead and prove it.)

They do take most space though, but since they can now create hard drives bigger than 1mb that shouldn't be a problem.
IntrnalDsK

Posted: 04 Aug 2003 05:57:11 pm    Post subject:

Unless someone is planning to run the program on their old computer which does not currently contain a harddrive... Cool Just throw in a Windows boot disk to get DOS, then it makes a partition out of nothing containing the DOS system files (im not exactly sure how that works) which makes it so you can take the boot disk out, then put in a floppy with the QBASIC game on it to run. If it is a big game, the bitmaps wouldn't fit on the floppy.

That's exactly why I like QBASIC, because there really arent many requirements to run the program. It would also be easier for people to find a DOS emulator than a windows one, like with VB.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Aug 2003 05:58:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Aug 2003 06:05:52 pm    Post subject:

IntrnalDsK wrote:
Unless someone is planning to run the program on their old computer which does not currently contain a harddrive...

One word: RamDrives.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Aug 2003 06:06:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
IntrnalDsK

Posted: 04 Aug 2003 06:36:03 pm    Post subject:

Oh yea.
coelurus

Posted: 06 Aug 2003 05:37:57 am    Post subject:

About gotos:
You might be inside a lot of if-statements, and then something goes wrong and you need to get somewhere.
There are a few ways to solve the problem, including "flag-variable", "sub-routine", "try-catch-thingy", "goto". Note also that I often write time-crucial code.
So, a flag-variable. We need to read that variable for every statement following. Seems pretty dumb to me.
Sub-routine? Takes code-space, time and a friggin' function call, ugh.
Try-catch? Never used them, you need to make your code in some special way and use C++, which I'm not too confident with.
Goto? Simple, just call it. Can it just get any better than that?
As a side note, Carmack uses gotos :D

BMP/TGA are among the fastest, but they take space. It's possible to compress BMPs, but not the true-color versions (24/32-bits). TGA can compress true-color, but only with RLE. PCX is pretty simple as well.

Not sure if I would say starting with Basic is a good idea. I'd go with Pascal or C/C++ directly.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Aug 2003 06:19:54 am    Post subject:

From experience I can say starting with basic is a good diea, after that I would recommend pascal or c, then C++.
omni

Posted: 07 Aug 2003 01:00:02 pm    Post subject:

Is QB or VB similar to TIBASIC?
coelurus

Posted: 07 Aug 2003 01:26:09 pm    Post subject:

From experience, I'd say Pascal is good to start with... If one has already started with Basic, going directly to C/C++ would be better than to learn Pascal. Of course, this is only a matter of taste.

All Basics are pretty much the same, basic Smile They are aimed for pretty different systems, so pick the one that seems the funnest to work with.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement