This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
omni

Posted: 18 Jun 2003 07:06:20 pm    Post subject:

What are the differences between them?
And are compilers needed to run the programs afterwards?
ie In Z80, you type your code in notepad, or whatever editor you use, then you run TASM on it or Objihex ( I forget which one) in order to run it on your calculator.
Would you have to do something similar to that?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Jun 2003 09:25:25 am    Post subject:

Qbasic has been around for ages and is quite slow but great to learn programming with, it's for dos and only requires you to save the code after which you need to run it with QBasic. If you have QuickBasic (same programming language) you can compile it to .exe format and then you can run it as a stand-alone program without the need of a compiler or anything but dos.

Visual Basic is faster, can do better graphics and is for windows, it too only needs to be compiled once after which you can run it as an ordinary .exe. It's also integrated into programs like excell (I think).

Basic stands for Beginners All-purpose Instruction Code and was designed for the avarage Joe to learn how to program, I think it was first used on the Commodore 64 (one of the first pc's, if you can call it that, it's retty much an over-sized version of the Ti83 with a colour or a green monitor) but it could have been around for a while by then. It's a great language for beginners to learn programming with.

Last edited by Guest on 19 Jun 2003 09:26:28 am; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 22 Jun 2003 04:24:01 am    Post subject:

I once read an article about 7 years ago about Qbasic.

It told how to use dos's debug to compile a qbasic .bas.
IntrnalDsK

Posted: 09 Jul 2003 05:00:58 pm    Post subject:

QBasic 4.5 has a compiler, editor, all in one! Smile It is MUCH better than QBasic 1.1, which most people have, because of how it comes with DOS. 4.5 can be downloaded online, but I don't have a URL on me. The compiled program can either run without any runtime (BRUN45.EXE) or with the runtime program required in the same folder as the compiled program.
Babyboy

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Jul 2003 09:00:43 pm    Post subject:

pesonally i enjoy Qbasic more, in visual basic you have to learn how to use the editor IE: pulldown menus, frames, menus, and its hard to find to download. While qbasic is just an open screen to program, plus even 1.1 has a built in index that really helps, and its free, a very good compiler is firstbas, just load your .BAS file into it and run the compiler, you can even edit the code right in the program.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Jul 2003 07:48:41 am    Post subject:

Babyboy wrote:
... and its hard to find to download....

You're supposed to buy it. Wink
b__

Posted: 16 Jul 2003 05:23:43 pm    Post subject:

lol, that might be why its hard to find, it costs like $100.
Babyboy

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Jul 2003 08:22:02 pm    Post subject:

im sorry if i offended anyone, but my win XP is a bootleg, i downloaded the product key too, i have office xp that i downloaded, i have NES, SNES, GENESIS, N64, and other emulators and rom's all downloaded, MP3's are a major asset in my life, nero burning from KAZAA, (which is the BEST peer to peer) an icon maker, a buisness card designer, i payed nothing for, infact i payed nothing for anything above, i have saved hundreds of dollars.

it mayby immoral or illigal but it's FREE Smile
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 16 Jul 2003 09:42:00 pm    Post subject:

The software that powers this server is all free (legally), it is very stable, and best of all nobody can come after me and shut me down because of software infringment, theft, or piracy.

Open source software is highly underrated.

Not to mention, I probably spent less time obtaining these free software's. I have a clear conscience running it, and I still saved hundreds and thousands of dollars for superior products.

<Ontopic>
Why did they ever make GOTO a command? Worst thing they have ever done in the computing industry.
</Ontopic>

--AlienCC

Last edited by Guest on 16 Jul 2003 09:45:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
IntrnalDsK

Posted: 16 Jul 2003 11:05:55 pm    Post subject:

Well, everyone who has windows has stolen something to get the thing to work Wink (talking generally) and KaZaA does often have 3 million people online at a time Smile

<more ontopicness>

What is wrong with the GOTO command? Speed?

<!--See, I don't need to end the more tag Smile-->
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 17 Jul 2003 04:12:43 am    Post subject:

Perfect example of why the GOTO command should never exist.

Code:
10 GOTO 20
20 GOTO 10

You'll never find a better example.
But seriously, the problem with Goto is everything you are doing with it, can better be done by calling subfunctions, or using a real loop (for, while, etc.) Basic is really the only language (other then pascal but we aren't going there) that supports this command.

While I was still in computer science a few years ago, my instructor that taught me basic computer programming using pascal and C++ (not basic) said, the one command that he Will flunk us for using is goto, he then proceeded to explain why. Goto lets you totally escape your logic using irrational means, and programming is all about logic.

--AlienCC
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Jul 2003 08:19:14 am    Post subject:

Babyboy wrote:
...KAZAA, (which is the BEST peer to peer)...

Umm, no, kazaa is one of the worst a programs ever (not just because of all the spyware and what not), you should really give FTP (which you can even use through DOS) or DC++ (best in my opinion) a try. But there are many more kazaa-like programs that are much better than kazaa.

I usually only download games so I can play them untill they're $20 instead of $50, check if they run on my system and check if they are fun. Or I download them because I can't find them available in any shops and don't have any credit cards to buy them online. But all the other software is way out of my budget (and probably will be for the next several years) so I'm 'forced' (good excuse, huh? /sarcasm) to download it.

I agree about GOTO, exept for when it comes to tibasic, where it is quite usefull if used properly. GOTO in C++ is really useless, in fact I have never used it in C++.
Babyboy

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Jul 2003 09:42:56 pm    Post subject:

isn't the mess of GOTO's called spaghetti code?

00 goto 110
10 print "H"
20 goto 50
30 print "L"
40 goto 80
50 print "E"
60 goto 30
70 print "O"
75 goto 100
80 print "L"
90goto 70
100 goto 00
110 end

Wacko Wacko

by the way, i do believe that the GOTO command is an easy way to create loops, even if it is slower and unoptimized

Last edited by Guest on 17 Jul 2003 09:43:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 18 Jul 2003 09:03:34 am    Post subject:

yes, goto will create a controlled loop very nicely...
IntrnalDsK

Posted: 18 Jul 2003 09:12:42 am    Post subject:

But isn't that what For, While, and REPEAT are for?

WHILE X<>1
' DO STUFF
WEND

LABEL:
' DO STUFF
IF X<>1 THEN GOTO LABEL

The WHILE loop is faster, and it takes up less memory.

To get more on topic, you can actually program QBASIC in notepad. You just save it as .BAS, then open it in the QB program. You could just make the whole thing in side the program, but notepad is also possible. I actually do it quite a bit.

Last edited by Guest on 18 Jul 2003 09:20:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 18 Jul 2003 09:15:48 am    Post subject:

ya......... i guess so... but there are some instances when a label would be nice... (like to go back to the beginning of the prgm...)

Last edited by Guest on 18 Jul 2003 11:19:27 am; edited 1 time in total
IntrnalDsK

Posted: 18 Jul 2003 10:28:32 am    Post subject:

I think thats one of the only instances that it would be used.

In some topic of somehting somewhere, someone was asking about a QBASIC graphics editor? Well if you needed one, there is a whole bunch at http://www.geocities.com/ngc1365/graphics.html .

Last edited by Guest on 18 Jul 2003 10:29:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Jul 2003 12:26:48 pm    Post subject:

You can also write a routine to use bmp files as sprites.

Have a look at some of the bmp routines available.
IntrnalDsK

Posted: 18 Jul 2003 02:27:11 pm    Post subject:

There are an awful lot of BMP,GIF,PCX routines out there...
b__

Posted: 18 Jul 2003 07:21:24 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Basic is really the only language (other then pascal but we aren't going there) that supports this command.

Asm has jp, and jr which are basically the same as goto. In fact, Asm doesn't even have while, for, or repeat loops. It doesn't have if statements either.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement