This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
KARTOONCHRIS

Posted: 16 Feb 2004 08:44:39 pm    Post subject:

ok, i need some help with making the character move. i know one way but it takes alot of space, pleez explain this to me. also making it to where the character cant go through walls or other specific lines. maybe collecting items and using them. making enemies thet move. using pxltest( . scrolling the screen and stuff. can u pleez also explain for( pleez. if some1 can help pleez reply. pleez!!!
KARTOONCHRIS

Posted: 16 Feb 2004 08:53:57 pm    Post subject:

my calc is a ti-83 plus se just so ya know.
Fr0sty

Posted: 17 Feb 2004 12:30:10 am    Post subject:

One at a time and if you could post your code, we'd appreciate it. Also, don't double post (edit your original) and don't make multiple threads.
The for( loop is quite simple.
First off, it's designed like this:

For( Variable, Number to start, Number to end, Increment (default increment is 1)
<Action>
End

So an example of one in action would be:

For(X,1,5
Disp "HEY
End

And it would display "HEY" 5 times. An equivalent of this would be:

For(X,5,1,-1
Disp "HEY
End

On the first one, it goes from 1 plus one to 5, on the bottom one it goes from 5 minus one to 1. It only does it the amount of times that you set it to. If you set it to For(A,1,100 then it will do your action 100 times.
I suppose For(A,1,0 would either cause an error or do your action an infinite number of times.
I hope this answered your question.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 17 Feb 2004 01:38:16 am    Post subject:

That's a huge request for code. Try looking at other examples, or read some tutorials. Make sure not to make your program too complicated. Scrolling is nearly impossible in BASIC, and not fast enough to be important. Also, PxlTest( is an inefficient way to do hit detection. Oh and if you want to keep it simple, download Codex (on unitedti.org downloads section) to draw the sprites (tiles) on the screen. All of your information for levels will most likely be stored in strings, but may be in matrices and lists if you prefer. To detect a wall, the program would test that number in your array (a variable with multiple values) and put the character in it's old coordinates, making it stay where it was.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement