This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 16 Feb 2004 06:49:35 pm    Post subject:

Okay. I've probably mentioned this sometime before, but I've been in the market for a newer calc model for quite sometime now. I don't have a credit card, and I hate going through the trouble of doing Ebay auctions. I've been checking the campus kiosks for nearly a year now for calcs for sale--but came up with nothing. Well, just a few moments ago I found a kiosk that announced two calculators for sale. Here are the offers:

TI-86
- Perfect working condition
- Manual, link and cover included
- Cost: $65

TI-83
- Perfect working condition
- Cover included
- Cost: $35

The problem: I can't make a decision! Money is a bit short nowadays, so I'm reluctant to spend $5--let alone 35 or 65. On the other hand, I'm beginning to take more advanced math/engineering classes now, and I've begun to realize my current TI-82 isn't cutting it. (I never thought I'd say that about a graphing calc! Neutral ) The offer won't stand for very long. What should I do?!?
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 16 Feb 2004 07:16:33 pm    Post subject:

Well for one thing, the TI-83 is just a marginally enhanced TI-82, and the TI-86 offers much more in the way of higher mathematics. So I'd get the TI-86.

Here is some more info:
http://www.rskey.org/buyguide.pdf
http://tifaq.web1000.com/?p3.htm#5.
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 16 Feb 2004 07:30:54 pm    Post subject:

The 86 has more math/calculus features and will last longer if you plan to go that far in math or something.
b__

Posted: 16 Feb 2004 08:44:37 pm    Post subject:

I voted Ralph Nader because i don't really know many people who have 86's, so my vote doesn't really count.
Justin W.
Shattered Silence

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Feb 2004 08:57:20 pm    Post subject:

I personally own an 83+ but would like to own a 89.
Ray Kremer

Posted: 17 Feb 2004 02:23:54 pm    Post subject:

Well, it's the old conundrum.

By technical standards, of course the 86 is more powerful than anything from the 83 series.

However technical standards isn't the best way to choose a tool. A military rifle is better than a shotgun, but I wouldn't use the rifle to go deer hunting.

Too many students in your average high school algebra class only have experience with four function calculators and wouldn't be able to get any benefit out of the manual to save their life. Therefore they depend on button-by-button instructions from the teacher, who almost always is using something from the 83 series, and thus the student must also or else the buttons and menus don't match.

Now, to the specific case of DigiTan. If your 82 isn't cutting it, the 83 doesn't have all that much that the 82 didn't and thus probably isn't the step up that you're looking for. Since we're talking advanced math and engineering I would assume that you are fairly competent with math and calculators and would be able to make the most out of an 86. It's still at its root a scientific calculator with a graph function, just like the 82 and 83, but it is definately more well rounded in the calculus area, and stuff like unit conversions and the various solvers are really nifty.

Of course these days most people doing what you're doing go right to the 89 or Voyage 200, because the CAS turns a lot of stuff into child's play, but you'd be hard pressed to find even a used 89 for $65 I think.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Feb 2004 02:26:31 pm    Post subject:

Can you get an 83+?
Edit: the apps are worth it since you can get stuff like Symbolic, Omnicalc, Graph^3, etc. that make it as good as the 89. Also, most advanced math teachers don't let you use an 89 on tests anyway.

Last edited by Guest on 17 Feb 2004 02:30:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 17 Feb 2004 07:58:42 pm    Post subject:

Whoa! It's Ray Kremer! Talk about a celebrity appearance! (Can I have your autograph, man? Laughing )

Ahem. Where was I? Oh, I've been weighing both offers for the past day now, and after hearing the advice, and checking out the Calc comparison chart (thanks for the link, sigma!) I decided that the TI-86 is the best route.

And you've got a point about the "lifespan" thing, Jeremiah. I had not realized how similar the TI-82 and TI-83 are when it comes to functions.

Okay, here's one last question. Another tough one. Should I go ahead an buy the TI-86 now, or wait to buy a TI-89/v200 in 2 or 3 months?
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 17 Feb 2004 09:18:34 pm    Post subject:

Dude I would go with the 83+ (if you can find one). That's what just about everyone has, so if you are planning on making games, that's the best way for your games to be on the most possible calcs.

But if you are getting this for school and *math* (apparently these calculator things can do more than just play games) then I would go with the 86.
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 17 Feb 2004 09:48:51 pm    Post subject:

If you opt for the 83+ route, go Silver. It really is worth it.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 17 Feb 2004 09:56:45 pm    Post subject:

I completely disagree. If I had a silver, all my games would suck, because I wouldnt worry about speed and everyone who played them on the 83+ would think it was way too slow.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 17 Feb 2004 11:09:23 pm    Post subject:

i could fix that. i could write an interrupt that sets the calc in slow mode until youi disable it...that would fix your problem

wish i had gotten a 83+se when i had the chance. at least now i can opt for a 84+se (or whatever it is)

Last edited by Guest on 17 Feb 2004 11:10:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 18 Feb 2004 01:37:51 pm    Post subject:

An interupt isn't neccessary: just use ZRUN. Works just as well.
Ray Kremer

Posted: 18 Feb 2004 02:34:19 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
Whoa!  It's Ray Kremer!  Talk about a celebrity appearance!  (Can I have your autograph, man? Laughing )

Ah, my reputation precedes me. Just found this place, saw it the other day in somebody's post over at the ti.com forums.

Quote:
Okay, here's one last question.  Another tough one.  Should I go ahead an buy the TI-86 now, or wait to buy a TI-89/v200 in 2 or 3 months?

The 86 is more or less an 89 without the CAS. Is CAS worth the extra money? If you're doing stuff that would make use of it, it probably is. For example, pure number crunching, plug and chug stuff doesn't need CAS. When manipulating equations, doing indefinate integrals, etc., if you don't have CAS you'll be doing it by hand on paper.

One thing to do would be check around. What to the professors recommend the students use? What are most of the students using? The interesting thing here is that many if not most professors outside of the math departments are still using scientific calculators to do stuff. So the stuff certainly can be done without having CAS. Of course some places leapfrog over CAS calculators and use PC software like MathCAD or Mathematica.

I love the 86, but there's no denying that the 89/V200 is the gold standard for TI users for doing the heavy lifting. There's a whole bunch of programs out there for the 89 to do higher math and engineering stuff.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Feb 2004 05:22:12 pm    Post subject:

For math, the 89 is better. However, there might be/are programs for the other calculators that make it possible to do more advanced math. There are way more programs for the 83+*, so you might want to get that instead of the 86.

*Google returns 329 000 results for the 83+, but only 44 800 for the 86.
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 18 Feb 2004 06:29:28 pm    Post subject:

Of course, those programs for the TI-83 do what the TI-86 can do naturally.

[The following was not written by me]
yes, and some things can be done better. with Graph[superscript]3[/superscript] you can rotate 3d graphs FASTER than the built in one on the 89. get a 83+(se) or 84+(se)(?) you will get more money's worth out of it i think

Last edited by Guest on 19 Feb 2004 02:11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bluefire

Posted: 18 Feb 2004 06:57:29 pm    Post subject:

who is Ray Kremer? i have no clue what u r talking about digitan, did i miss something?
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 18 Feb 2004 07:01:47 pm    Post subject:

sigma wrote:
Of course, those programs for the TI-83 do what the TI-86 can do naturally.

True. But, people install emulators on their computers to do what consoles can do naturally, so...

Sometimes added functionality in one department can warent(sp?) something a better purchase if you can modify it in a way that it can do what the other something could do. In this case, the 86 has some excellent native commands, but you can write programs for the 83x calcs that do the same thing, and with the 83 you have a much larger user base (not to mention a very large programming community). I would have to recomened a TI-83x (pref. Silver) over the TI-86 for this disscussion.

Last edited by Guest on 19 Feb 2004 02:51:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Feb 2004 10:20:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
who is Ray Kremer? i have no clue what u r talking about digitan, did i miss something?

Ray Kremer authored a massive series of TI-related guides and FAQs back in the late 90's--covering every subject from BASIC programming tips to advanced ASM subjects like sound and Var formats. 1997 was sort of a "quantum leap" period for the TI community, so lots of people benefitted from these columns. He's also also very active in help forums like the TI.com message center. It was his advice that helped me download my first ASM game back in 2000. I could go on some more, but I don't want to embarrass Ray too much. Laughing

Last edited by Guest on 18 Feb 2004 10:23:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 18 Feb 2004 10:24:00 pm    Post subject:

link to these files? they sound AMAZING!!!!
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement