This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
savethegibbons

Posted: 10 Jan 2004 04:31:57 pm    Post subject:

Or more accurately, do some TI-83's come without cases, Im not talking about the Plus, and Plus Silver etc, just the regular old TI-83. I ask this since I just bought one from ebay, and typically (considering my history of getting screwed buying calculators) it came sans case. I emailed the guy and he claimed that he bought it new in this condition.

Is this true? I dont care all that much about the case, but I plan on reselling it later on, and if its missing an important part, then I wont be able to sell the thing for much.

Thanks.
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 10 Jan 2004 05:31:29 pm    Post subject:

They should've come with a slide case, if that's what you mean. The guy probably lost it was just covering for himself. You can buy one real cheap from TI's online store though. Nothing to get hyped about.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Jan 2004 05:39:41 pm    Post subject:

They come with a case, though I have yet to find a use for it.
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 10 Jan 2004 07:14:50 pm    Post subject:

I always thought they (the slide cases) were for looks. Maybe even to protect the calculator or something. Oh well.
savethegibbons

Posted: 10 Jan 2004 07:44:42 pm    Post subject:

a, it will cost me £10 to replace the case from the TI europe store. I only paid £35 for the actual calculator (used).

In the email the guy said he bought it new from a store and there was no slide cover with it, he actually sent the calculator in the original box too.

I seem to be cursed with ebay and calculators. The idea was that I could resell it for £35 later on, I wasn't sure I would keep the thing, now I'm going to have to rip someone off to do the same, or go through the process of returning the thing, he seemed like a decent guy other than this as well. I wasn't sure I was going to hold onto the TI-83, now I have to throw money away, or send it back (throwing a bit less money away, but with loads of hassle).

Forgive my ranting...I'm just annoyed.

Mad

Last edited by Guest on 10 Jan 2004 07:46:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 10 Jan 2004 08:08:19 pm    Post subject:

I think theyre only $5 in the US. That's £2.50 (I think). Isn't there a way you can buy it online?
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 12:31:53 am    Post subject:

You could just live without the slide case. But if you really want it, you'll most likely have to pay for it. (You may get lucky and find one on the side of the street or something...)
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 12:48:03 am    Post subject:

Hopefully it's ok if I start a spin-off topic on this topic. (if not then just tell me and I'll start a new one)

My slide case always falls off and the calc doesn't click into place. It's done that for over a year. It's caused it to fall on the ground a lot which can't be good. I tried some stuff like hot gluing (sp?) the "track" on either side of the calc but it still didnt work. Right now it has duct tape on it which I attach every time I close the calc. Does anyone know of a way to fix it? Oh and theres no point in buying a new cover because the problem is (look at the side walls of your calc) in the track of the calc itself. In the middle of the calc, all the way down the track, there are two little indents that stick out to keep the cover in place. Both sides on my calc somehow broke off. Ideas?
Jeremiah Walgren

Know-It-All

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 01:40:02 am    Post subject:

I'd just carry it upside down. Not the best way, but it works.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 02:05:31 am    Post subject:

Yeah I figured that one out a while back. My biggest problem is when friends use it and don't know about my gimpy case. It once fell into the sink in the lab during physics. Fortunately it was dry in the sink, but it took quite a beating. Poor calculator. Sad
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 05:35:46 am    Post subject:

Have you tried superglue and two little pieces of metal?
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 12:49:29 pm    Post subject:

No, but that seems like it might work. It would take some work to get it in the right place. What kind of metal? Like a peice of a paperclip?
savethegibbons

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 05:11:16 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I think theyre only $5 in the US. That's £2.50 (I think). Isn't there a way you can buy it online?

The price I quoted (£10) was from the TI site, most of the cost was in the p&p. I wouldn't imagine you could find one elsewhere and I doubt people would bother selling them on ebay.

You think not having a case would affect its resale value much? Or do people generally not bother? I'm a bit calmed down now, some of the frustration was from a TI-92 I bought that had a almost unusably dull screen.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 05:16:32 pm    Post subject:

Did you turn the contrast up? My friend had a TI 83+ that he thought had a dull screen but he just failed to turn the contrast up. Common mistake.
savethegibbons

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 07:15:20 pm    Post subject:

Well, this was a TI-92, and yeah, I turned the contrast up. It was a naturally dull screen I believe, you could tell by the colour of the screen when turned off (it was a really murky green). This TI-83 I bought has a nice screen on the other hand, with good contrast.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Jan 2004 11:38:37 am    Post subject:

Jedd wrote:
No, but that seems like it might work.  It would take some work to get it in the right place.  What kind of metal?  Like a peice of a paperclip?

That or a little piece of scrap metal you happen to find, just make sure it's hard enough and has the proper shape (a bit rounded).
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Jan 2004 05:18:50 pm    Post subject:

savethegibbons wrote:
This TI-83 I bought has a nice screen on the other hand, with good contrast.

The 84 is supposed to have an even better (high contrast) screen.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement