This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 09 Jan 2004 02:35:50 am    Post subject:

Ok. I might be going crazy right now, so if the following sounds stupid, impossible, or embarrasing, please don't hold it against me (but that's how new ideas are born, right?). How about a TI Internet program? Here's my first thoughts in response to the things that just flew through your head:

-The calc program (or App) would only connect to 1 page on the entire web, which would be pre-programmed into it. The site would then automatically send back information, like a short news report or something really simple. Of course the page would not send an actual website, just information.

-I think a modem would be the best connection, but the amount of programming to talk over a phone line would probably be enourmous. If there was any way to dial a number and then the website could emulate a computer and talk to the calc normally, that would probably be best.

-An adapter would be forged to fit between a phone line and the calc port. Preferable if people could somehow make their own.

-No, this program does not serve much of a practical use, but just think how cool it would be to plug your calc into the nearest phone jack and get the latest news!

-Someone would have to update it daily (or whatever-ly) with new info.

Ok this is coming from a VERY uneducated viewpoint. I doubt it's even possible (assuming you built an adapter) to dial a number on a phone line. Also, learning about how a computer talks through a modem would require the programmer of this to do a lot of research. I doubt anyone would want to take this project on.

But hey, I've seen you ASM'ers do amazing things like make music on your calcs and have scrolling games at (compared to BASIC) lightning speed. I look forward to hearing discussion on this topic, even if you don't believe it's possible!
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Jan 2004 02:07:10 pm    Post subject:

Well Jedd that sounds very cool, but Im not sure if a programmer would put so much effert and design into somethign that would not pose as a really important program.

But awesome fantasy idea Very Happy
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Jan 2004 04:55:05 pm    Post subject:

Free internet on calc!
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Jan 2004 05:19:51 pm    Post subject:

Very Happy Not a bad idea! I've seen a few terminal progs out there like RTerm and Telnet that can connect through external modems. Unfortunantly they require some extensive use of Unix to connect so I can't really say to much about them.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 09 Jan 2004 06:17:50 pm    Post subject:

What does that program do?
Babyboy

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Jan 2004 06:42:50 pm    Post subject:

i am going to GUESS that the calc would have to dial to the IP adress of your isp and send a signal to request a line. It may make more sence for it to be a program with the news in it that someone uploads to a very simple site with and auto downloader (if there is something like that!) NOTE: the calc is 6mhz, if anyone could do the requested things, the refresh signal sent by the isp would lock it up for a minute, also we are looking at something like 6bytes/sec, something like my commodore 64 modem.

ofcourse i know NO asm and have a very basic understanding of internet connection, so i could be leading you on the completly wrong track.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 09 Jan 2004 07:22:53 pm    Post subject:

You seem to know more than I do. Really only 6 bytes/second eh? Still that would be less than a minute for a string of information. I think it could be done over a phone line, but the really hard thing would be the initial dialing. I guess someone would have to reserve a phone number just for that, or people would be calling it and getting a few seconds of clicks trying to upload information (?). Of course this is all just guessing. I have no clue how modems work.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement