This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Dark

Posted: 07 Jan 2004 08:14:47 pm    Post subject:

Hey all, Basically I am making a Dungeons and Dragons type game where leveling up, Obtaining items... Etc. is possible... But I need a little help from anyone that would be happy to. This is basically what I need programming for, I dont really have enough time with school and all at the moment (Just a side note: This game is going to resemble Bauldurs gate if you have ever played it... I am going to use the same character types... Plus a few more... and maybe even the same DnD rules) Anway, Would someone help me program the following things... And then when i recieve it I will just edit it a little... Thank you

1. I need area maps... I dont really care how... It could be like baulders gate...Or You can even just make it so its a spinoff of Final Fantasy... Something like that... So that if you are in an area you might randomly encounter a beast or enemy. Just make it look decent (Lol Just Joking do what you want)

2. I also need the program for something like a menu please... I know this is vague... But like a selection screen if possible.. I wouldnt know how to do something like that. A screen where I could put a list of selectable races or character types... Blah... Something like that... If you are interested or just want to know more, just ask for more details

Again... thank you if you have any ideas dont be afraid to speak out, I dont really expect anyone to help, i just wanted to get my idea out there even thought it has been done over a million times
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 07 Jan 2004 08:49:28 pm    Post subject:

So...do you want other people to program this for you? We are all busy with not only school but also out own projects. If you really want to do this, first get together a team that will help you make it. Then make a design document for your programming team to follow. Game design documents here:
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=23#21
Then split up the work among all the programmers and make sure you are the one doing the main programming. The things you asked for have already been made by several BASIC programmers, including myself. To make and engine that fits your own game style will take some work. Now that i'm done with my tangent, here's the best answer I can give you to your questions right now (no code included, sorry):

1. Maps are ussually stores in strings since they can carry the most variables. Make a program that reads each number in the string and displays a sprite according to the number in the string. From there you can start making maps pretty easily. You make encountering beasts sound like a simple task. A battle engine like that might take days or weeks depending on how complicated it is.

2. There are some graph-based menu programs scattered on this site, so feel free to use those. You need to include some more info for how you want it to look if you expect someone to code it for you.

Hopefully you'll find a team to make your game. Sorry if I sounded accusatory (sp?). If I can alter my coding from past games to fit a wide range of RPG game types, I'll email it to you.
Dark

Posted: 07 Jan 2004 08:57:14 pm    Post subject:

Thank you... no you werent accusatory at all I understand... Ill begin looking for these things at once. No one would get mad if I stole some ideas or even programs?... Well Even if they did it wouldnt matter I guess since there are probably thousands of miles between me and them... Lol Dont worry
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 07 Jan 2004 09:34:30 pm    Post subject:

It's ussually ok, but it's also common respect to give that person credit. If you use someone else's code and especially program, mention their name and maybe what they contributed. Put the "special thanks" names in a "game info" selection from the main menu.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Jan 2004 09:35:05 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Then split up the work among all the programmers and make sure you are the one doing the main programming. The things you asked for have already been made by several BASIC programmers, including myself. To make and engine that fits your own game style will take some work.
Keep in mind a game dev team doesn't excist of only a bunch of programmers, there's graphics artists, game designer(s), and music artists to name a few. So if you need a team of just programmers it might be wiser to just do it yourself and avoid all the trouble of getting your game design idea over to the rest of the team. You'd also require a more simple design document, since you don't have to point out everything so everybody will know exactly what's going on ni the game.

Dark wrote:
2. I also need the program for something like a menu please... I know this is vague... But like a selection screen if possible.. I wouldnt know how to do something like that. A screen where I could put a list of selectable races or character types... Blah... Something like that... If you are interested or just want to know more, just ask for more details

Clickity

I would like to point out that Baldurs Gate is over 4GB (that's over 150000 times as much as a single Ti83) of data, contains thousands of manually drawn sprite animations, hundreds of highly detailed areas, and more than 40 hours of gameplay in the singleplayer campaign (not counting replayability due to different alignments, classes, and races) so I seriously doubt anybody is capable of programming something (that actually fits on the calc) even remotely resembling Baldurs Gate, even in assembly.

But if you need help with any specific sprites, code, or DnD rules, I'll be happy to help.

Last edited by Guest on 08 Jan 2004 09:42:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Dark

Posted: 08 Jan 2004 07:58:25 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, But I am not going to make it exactly like baulders gate... I just meant that it would be resembling it with the same character selection format and other stuff like that... Jeez I couldnt imagine even trying to duplicate the game... it would take for ever and not to mention a thousand times more than the memory I have at hand.. But other than that everything is going good now, i reallly dont even think i need a team, I finally learned some of the important things... But i have one last question Sorry all.

How would I get a snapshot of my calc. screen onto the comp so i can show you my progress so far? (Lol, I am partially computer illeterate, The technical part)

Last edited by Guest on 08 Jan 2004 07:58:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 08 Jan 2004 09:42:10 pm    Post subject:

I have something on my Mac called "TI Device Explorer." It's what I use to send stuff to and from my calc. On it there is an option called "Screen Capture." Pressing this will display the current screen of the calc. Another way is to break the program with [On], store the graph screen as a pic, and view it on your computer. Or, if none of the above work, you can just take a digital picture of it, but you have to get the camera flash/angle perfect in order for it to look good. If you want animated screenshots, you need another computer program. I think it's call "VTI" or something like that. Look on TICalc.
Dark

Posted: 09 Jan 2004 11:55:50 pm    Post subject:

Do you have any idea where I could dl any of these?
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 10 Jan 2004 12:45:34 am    Post subject:

Virtual TI:
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/225/22515.html

TI Connect:
http://education.ti.com/us/product/accesso...n/download.html

By the way you will need a TI Graph Link for these programs to work, because it links your calc to you computer through a USB port. If you dont have one, either buy it at an electronics/computer store ($15-$20) or make one on your own ($4 + putting it together). Of course if you don't want to do that you can still just take a picture of the calc itself while the program is running.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement