This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
jammasterz

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 12 Apr 2012 02:10:55 am    Post subject:

Hello. I'm staring this topic to for everybody to share interesting feautres and tips about TI's Flash debugger.

[size="5"]For those who don't know what it is:[/size]
It is the exact copy of TI-83, but run on computer. What this means is that you don't have to risk loss of your precious programs or even the calculator when your program causes a crash. You can download it from here:
Download Ti Flash Debugger

[size="5"]Debugging:[/size]
This is the main window. To get here you have to choose the calculator and then run it with a play button.
Image 1
Now if you want to debug your program you have to load it to RAM. You do it by pressing Ctrl + R and then choosing the program you want to load. Remember that you can only load a program to memory when the calculator is stopped. You do that by pressing the stop button that is right to the play button.
After loading the program into memory, run the calculator with the play button and then run your program. Then pause the calculator again and go to adress 9D95 in the memory window:
Image 2
Now you can see the code of your program.

Breakpoints:
The best way to debug it is to set breakpoints in suspicious parts of code by rightclicking in the memory window and choosing "set breakpoint". You should see a red dot right to the line of code that you want the calculator to stop.

After you've done that you can run your calculator again and do something so that the suspicious code executes. Immiediately after the PC gets to the marked line, it stops. This way you can check the state of all the flags and registers, and even the memory in peace. When you are done, press F10, to execute next instruction manually or the play button to return to the normal processor executing mode with no stops. This way you can wade through all your code, having everything under controll.

Watching adress points:
You can also watch adresses. It will tell whenever an adress is read, written or accessed, your choice. To do that you go to the debug menu and choose "Watch adress points". Then you probably want to select RAM. The page is 00(need help here). The you type the begining one adress and then another. This will watch all the bytes between those two adresses, including the begining and the ending one. Then choose the access method and click "Add". Now the debugger will ask you to stop the executing whenever any program tries to access your watched adress.

THIS IS THE FIRST VERSION OF THIS TOPIC. EXPECT MAJOR CHANGES IN THE FUTRE.

If you have any other usefull ways to debug, write them here, and ill edit this post Smile

Last edited by Guest on 13 Apr 2012 02:25:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xeda112358

Posted: 12 Apr 2012 06:29:13 am    Post subject:

That's cool Very Happy I typically use WabbitEmu for its debugger, but I still remember that debugger Smile I cannot remember, but is there a way to change flag states and register values? What I like to do is add in code like jr $ which goes into an infinite loop, then I open the debugger and jump to the code after it. That way, I can test subroutines that I suspect have issues without knowing their address to set a breakpoint.
jammasterz

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 12 Apr 2012 06:36:30 am    Post subject:

Yes, you can edit every register, and change every flag that is listed on the CPU window.
Xeda112358

Posted: 12 Apr 2012 02:23:45 pm    Post subject:

Cool Very Happy Those are really helpful features in any debugger Smile
jammasterz

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 13 Apr 2012 02:07:06 pm    Post subject:

Could you please enable images for me? I don't have the permission.

Last edited by Guest on 13 Apr 2012 02:07:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xeda112358

Posted: 16 Apr 2012 10:11:11 am    Post subject:

Sorry, I've been gone for a few days x.x Um, what do you mean? Certain extensions won't work, but otherwise you should be able to upload images and link to them...
jammasterz

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 17 Apr 2012 12:57:55 am    Post subject:

It says that i dont have the permission to add photos here.
Xeda112358

Posted: 17 Apr 2012 05:40:48 am    Post subject:

Weird, I am not sure what is wrong, then (and I don't have the power to change it). Are you uploading the image, or using a link? If you are using a link, maybe post the link to see if we can get it figured out?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement