This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 08 Jun 2003 03:14:28 am    Post subject:

I both hate and like XP Very Happy

e.g. The new appearance is nice, but they went overboard by having a picture by your login, and the pin/unpin feature is annoying because anytime you run a program, it keeps track of it.

As for the kernel and stability, it is better than any 9.x and about the same as 2k.

All in all, it boots fast, runs slower than othe versions of windows, supports almost everything, but has an annoying activation wizard.

The #1 thing I hate about XP is that it does not like Photo Shop. At work, I have XP, Pentium 4 2.83 GHZ, and 512 megs of DDR.

I cannot use photoshop, listen to music, browse the internet, and have a database open at the same time.

With Windows 2000, I can do all of the above, check my email, print, install software, and use the network with a computer that runs at half the speed with half the ram!
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 08 Jun 2003 03:53:47 am    Post subject:

Smasher:
Quote:
If you haven't tried it, OS X is a really great operating system. It's got its flaws, naturally, but overall it's really well made, runs great, and has most of the features OS 7-9 should have had years ago (memory protection, premptive instead of cooperative multitasking, etc.). I've heard complaints about the speed of the GUI (although I haven't noticed any real problems on a dual 500 except when I'm really working it), but those should vanish once the new 970's come out.

I've seen it but never used it (other then a display model for a few minutes). OS X is an operating system I wouldn't mind using but perhaps thats because I know some history behind it. OSX was based on the Darwin BSD kernel, which some of you may know is Unix. What Apple is really selling to you, is Jaguar their GUI to BSD along with their development tools to create Jaguar based apps with ease. When OS X first came out, many complained it was sluggish on their older Power PC's, I'm told this is fixed with version 10.2. If and when I ever sell my laptop, I would like to replace it with a laptop running OS X since most of the linux programs I use are either avaliable or will compile then run on it in their current state.

--AlienCC
Jeffrey

Posted: 14 Jun 2003 12:10:36 pm    Post subject:

I like windows more than macfore several reasons. Mac seems to be for the beginner (sorry) but it seems to be so overly user friendly that it limits what you can do with it. Windows is powerful, easy to use (most of the time) and, if you know what your doing, less error full than mac. Only if you know what your doing, since Windows does have more traps than Mac.
Smasher
I'm a llama!

Posted: 15 Jun 2003 03:33:14 am    Post subject:

Jeffrey wrote:
It seems to be so overly user friendly that it limits what you can do with it.

I'm not sure what you're referring to... could you give me a couple examples?
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 15 Jun 2003 05:11:30 pm    Post subject:

well if you know what you are doing, and the programmers (of the programs you use, not the OS) know what they are doing, can't they avoid all of the pitfalls? Most mac programs were ported, and probably without anyone checking to make sure they didn't run into these problems.
houou249

Posted: 09 Jul 2003 11:14:42 pm    Post subject:

[onTopic]
I know(Rated:1-10(WOW!)):
82,83,83+,86,89 - Basic - OverAll:9
82,83,83+,86,89 - Asm - OverAll:4
VB - 8
Html - 8
JavaScript - 4
Java - 5

[offTopic]
But with OS X doesnt the way os works slowly change with the experience of the user or was it ...somethin like that...

Last edited by Guest on 09 Jul 2003 11:24:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 03 Aug 2003 10:36:39 pm    Post subject:

Erm i techincally html is not a programming language. As the name states...its a markup language. You cant actually write a html document that will 'do' something....unless you use something else like javascript etc.

Last edited by Guest on 03 Aug 2003 10:36:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 4 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement