This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Programming subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. General Coding and Design => Calculator Programming
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 29 May 2003 05:44:00 pm    Post subject:

Does anyone here at UTI know any other programming languages? I know you all know some asm Smile, and some web programming. If anyone wants to set something up to start learning, I'd be glad to give you the compilers, directions, and such. Right now I'm experimenting with OpenGL with VC++. I've made a room that you can run through, jump off things, it's pretty realistic.

Last edited by Guest on 29 May 2003 05:44:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Justin W.
Shattered Silence

Advanced Member

Posted: 29 May 2003 05:50:00 pm    Post subject:

Well I know ti83/+/SE Basic (guru or very close to),ti83+/SE assembler(intermediate),Ti89 Basic(beginner),ms-dos batch programming (not intermediate not beginner),some html,some c++

Want to learn.

More c++
Perl
PHP

Last edited by Guest on 29 May 2003 05:50:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
james

Posted: 29 May 2003 06:04:43 pm    Post subject:

im with justin i want to learn more c++ and also some more
html so hook me up Very Happy
Sfar

Posted: 29 May 2003 06:14:47 pm    Post subject:

well...

i know:
html(intermediate)
php(intermediate)
TI-83+ asm(not beginner, not intermediate)
TI-83+ BASIC(above intermediate but not expert)
javascript(intermediate)

and...yea
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 May 2003 06:47:53 pm    Post subject:

IK know ti basic, z80 asm, html, css, javascript, and perl/cgi.

I am learning php, mysql, c, vb, java, more z80 asm, intel x86 asm, and eventually I will learn about 386+ asm.
Sfar

Posted: 30 May 2003 07:03:28 am    Post subject:

386+ asm!!! what would be the purpose of that??? I only have a 486! Learn 486!!! LOL Very Happy
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 May 2003 02:01:41 pm    Post subject:

386 and 486 asm are exactly the same.

In fact, there are no significant changes from an assembly standpoint from the 386 to the pentium 4; however, there are a few new instructions.

The biggest difference between the 286 and 386 is that the 386 can use protected mode which allows direct access to 00000000 to FFFFFFFF memory addresses. In other words, a 386 and above can access 4 gigabytes of ram directly.

Protected mode is not used in windows 9.x, but is used in NT and Linux.

Protected mode is better because it allows the programmer to protect memory. e.g. a Linux task/program cannot access the ram addresses used by another program. If it tries, a protection fault occurs and the cpu calls an interrupt which is handled by the kernel of the operating system.

Protected mode also allows for tasks to get only a certain number of cpu cycles if set up that way. In other words, protected mode allows for the programmer to run multiple tasks and force them to yield while protecting the rest of the system.
David
The XORcist!

Advanced Member

Posted: 30 May 2003 02:19:39 pm    Post subject:

Beside TI-83+ asm & basic, I know PHP Smile
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 30 May 2003 03:21:35 pm    Post subject:

simple html, advanced basic, simple asm
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 30 May 2003 08:02:13 pm    Post subject:

I noticed that I haven't put down what I know. 3 Years of C++, 3 Years of VB, 2 Years of Java, many variations of C, as in Small C, etc. TI-83p Basic, TI-83p asm, OpenGL, DirectX, 2 Years of HTML. I intend to learn some PHP or something like that, and to overtake Justin in asm Razz Just Joking Very Happy
Sfar

Posted: 30 May 2003 08:34:10 pm    Post subject:

That protected memory thing sounds cool...what if you only have 256MB of RAM???
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 31 May 2003 01:40:24 am    Post subject:

Sfar wrote:
That protected memory thing sounds cool...what if you only have 256MB of RAM???

Well, if you do not have 4GB memory, you cannot access 4gb memory. Confused

You must remember that this will not cause a probelm because the Kernel is loaded at an almost fixed location after the pc boots. When protected mode is set up, the Kernel knows exactly how much ram you have and the maximum address.

The kernel also sets up limits in a task descripter table at a protected memory location. This table tells where the program is, the size it takes up, the number of clock cycles it gets each turn, et cetera. If any running task tries to access memory outside of the allocated memory appointed too it by the Kernel, an interrupt occurs in which the CPU calls an error handler built into the Kernel and the user sees some message like, "protected memory fault; application will be terminated."

Now, the programs wrighten for your PC have an additional register which is kind of a segment register of the program counter.

Let'us say you load an x86 asm program that is supposed to load at $0100. Well, if the program is loaded somewhere else, the segment register will be changed and the CPU will automatically add the segment plus the pc to figure out where it really is. In otherwords, jmp label (x86 asm) realy mean jmp label+segment. So, if we are working in dec and we say jmp 100 and the segment is 900, the CPU jumpts to 1000.

The segment usually positive, but a flag can be set to make it negative.

Essentially, the segment allows you to load an asm program from anywhere in memory without messing up the jump points.

Finally, it is important to know that Linux, and WinNT,Win 2k, and Win XP are designed to use protected mode. You may also wish to note that win 9.x/me uses real mode which essentially does not protect memory and allows for 16 bit jumps with the addition of segment bits (kind of like pages that overlap Surprised )

Yes, real mode is not very stable when compared to protected mode.

Remember DOS?

In dos, the running program had control over the CPU and all memory Surprised

Then out of the brilliance of design, Microsoft desided lets make windows in which every program has control of all memory and the cpu at the same time. That way, if anything goes wrong, everything gets screwed up.

If you remember windows 3.1, you would remember how rediculous it was that a frozen program meant that all programs stopped responding and you had to reboot. Well, there was the blue screen of death, but it did not even work as well as the Windows 9.x bsod.

Essentially windows 3.1 was a nightmere because programs were not allocated a specified number of clock cycles. Instead, it was assumed that when they were done, they would hand control back to windows. Well, this works great until a program decides not to cooperate.
SniperOfTheNight

Advanced Member

Posted: 31 May 2003 04:05:04 pm    Post subject:

Sorry,that was me again(stupid cookies)
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Jun 2003 02:27:01 am    Post subject:

You had better put redelf.net on the exempt list.

Tools > Internet Options > Privacy > Edit > type: redelf.net > Click Allow to add it to the list of sites allowing cookies.

Now, all of you safe cookie ruls apply, but redelf.net and this froum do not have trouble setting and retrieving cookies from your browser.

I am assuming you use IE, BTW. Over 90% do use Internet Explorer
Glen
Prokul Interactive

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 01 Jun 2003 10:41:12 am    Post subject:

i know
HTML
C++ (not advance yet)
Basic Ti 83 plus programming language!
nukesk8r

Posted: 01 Jun 2003 12:36:50 pm    Post subject:

d'oh!

sorry, that was me, didn't realize I wasn't logged in.
SniperOfTheNight

Advanced Member

Posted: 01 Jun 2003 09:29:09 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the help Jbirk! That helped me fix it. I'm using a weird browser called Safari,so it's kinda wacked,but I was able to find basically what you were talking about and it worked!
Pascal

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 01 Jun 2003 09:50:30 pm    Post subject:

I used to program some C++, but that was a while back. I want to restart this summer, got some things I want to do with C, but Im not sure which environment to program in. I got the visual C++ studio. Its perfect for the job, but with all this new .net stuff, im not sure what to do.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Jun 2003 03:08:46 am    Post subject:

SniperOfTheNight wrote:
Thanks for the help Jbirk!  That helped me fix it.  I'm using a weird browser called Safari,so it's kinda wacked,but I was able to find basically what you were talking about and it worked!

The good thing about using browsers other than Internet Exploiter is that you protect your computer.

For example, if adware installes itself through Netscape, at least when you exit your browser the popups stop.

Unfortunatly, ad software and other junk is installed with Internet Explorer, you are in a world of trouble even off the internet because Internet Exterminator is an intregal part of the Windows operating environment.

Take Windows XP for instance, after browsing the net for a few weeks, my computer got the popup plage syndrome. Explanation, popups appear even from sites that do not have popups with in the page source! Worse of all, thanks to XP's wonderful idea of making your computers interface almost entirely Internet Explorer Driven, I got popus when I opened my control pannel, set up printers, messed with the networks settings, and browsed drives.

How would you like getting popups when you are not even on the internet?

Well, I ended up getting so irritated, I just reinstalled XP on my work computer!

I now proudly use Netscape even though it does not work as well as explorer for site compatibility etcetera. Yes, IE is still installed on my work computer, but I would only use it for viewing offline HTML stuff deamed safe!

As for using Safari, I have not heard of it, but sience it is not IE, you probably will end up with fewer ads and other attacks; however, you will endure the trade off when many sites bear the "This site is desinged for Internet Explorer Only because it was built in Frontpage" Icon.

Although most sites will work, some things may look a little out of the ordinary because more sites are coded in MS-HTML than real HTML.

Who considers people with other browsers anyway?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Jun 2003 09:40:57 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Who considers people with other browsers anyway?

I do Smile but that won't get you anywhere.

Anyway, I know:

DOS Batch,
QBASIC,
A very little bit of Pascal (could write a little text rpg but that's about it),
C++ (advanced, know everything I need to to start with Win32),
HTML,
(some) JavaScript,
(very little) CSS,
TIBasic.

Learning:
more JavaScript,
more HTML,
more CSS,
more C++,
Win32 games programming

To do someday:
DirectDraw,
DirectX,
OpenGL.

To do soon:
PHP/Perl when I find a free host that supports it so i can improve my site.

I also wanted to learn TI83 ASM but got stuck at the first program because it wouldn't work even though I copied it right from the tutorial (asmguru) Neutral .

Last edited by Guest on 02 Jun 2003 11:00:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement