Hey everyone it's spud. Lately I've been thinking that within the last couple of months that I have been doing any projects that would push me as a software developer. So I started to think of projects that I could do to push myself. Unfortunately I couldn't think of anything that could be turned into a bigger project when I finish with a simple version. I've thought of a few things including, a site where people could post requests for people to make software, an arduino game controller for the TI-83+/84+/SE, and a game where you farm humans to feed to plants. All of these seem to be great ideas but I feel that they will come up with problems such as being bigger than expected or being too simple or complicated (also I don't have any knowledge of or even own an arduino board). So basically I've come here for help. If any one has ideas for any software or simple hardware projects I could do pleas post them.

Thanks!
-Spud2451
spud2451 wrote:
Hey everyone it's spud. Lately I've been thinking that within the last couple of months that I have [not] been doing any projects that would push me as a software developer. .... All of these seem to be great ideas but I feel that they will come up with problems such as being bigger than expected ... or complicated ....

That's EXACTLY the kind of stuff that will push you as a software developer. However, don't limit yourself to something you don't have (i.e. Arduino). Focus on what you do have (a computer, TI calculator) and make programs for that. Don't focus on games, focus on concepts. Even the biggest games start off as a mix of concepts. Take SPORE and SIM CITY from Maxis, for example. Don't take something head on, break it apart and build with smaller blocks. Idea
its also a very good idea to do stuff that interests you, whatever you do choose. if you try to do a project that even you dont like, it is going to end up badly (look at my SimLife game i made on ticalc. its pretty sad).

Also, i find that i learn new things a lot when i just mess around with things until they work. i pretty much learned all of Raw TI-Basic that way. then, when you do a bigger project, then you have these tiny things you can draw up on to create a masterpeice.

I also agree with Comic's 4th sentence, too. concepts can be used in a many great things AND help teach you, where trying to make a game should utilize concepts you allready know. otherwise, the game may not be so cool.
Thanks Guys and I think that I've got it. I want to make an on calc interpreted language. I'll make it simple at first. maybe just a few commands like print, input and output. Now whats the best way to go about parsing text to get all of the commands in a line? currently I have trouble reading more than one command. (I've tried to make a programming language before).

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours